• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Junipero Serra County Park, San Bruno California

public record on junipero

I looked at the parks commission meeting minutes from 9/16/10...

"Superintendent Lockman said a public meeting had been held in San Bruno to review a proposal for a Disc Golf Course at Junipero Serra Park. He noted that Commissioners Enriquez and Pincus had attended the public meeting. He said staff would review all of the comments and refine the plan and bring it to another public meeting for consideration."

"Commissioner Pincus said he had gone to Junipero Serra Park to see the proposed Disc Golf Course which he had found fascinating. He said he chatted with some residents who indicated that they were considering not signing the petition being circulated against the proposed project. He said at the public meeting there had been such vocal opposition that he felt he needed to see what the proposal would entail at the Park. Superintendent Lockman noted that a number of issues raised were Park related issues and not issues with disc golf per se."

"Commissioner Enriquez said he had attended the public meeting in San Bruno and that the homeowners were not in agreement with putting disc golf at Junipero Serra Park. He said the homeowners suggested that the course should be located on school grounds. He said there were concerns about safety, liability, degradation of the environment, impacting the aesthetics of the park and the view."

"Commissioner Pincus said that disc golf was meant to be played in the rough and not on greens so it would not be suitable on a school playing field. He said it appeared that disc golf was a sport that families could enjoy together."

"Superintendent Lockman said the Department would review all the comments received and expect to have another public meeting in about a month and half."

There's nothing on the commission agenda about disc golf for their december meeting, and I don't see any notices on the web site about another public meeting. With meetings every other month, the commission works at its own pace.

There's nothing new at the moment, though we should soon hear what the next steps are. The park commission already voted to go forward with this project, but that only means that they set in motion the process to hold public meetings and get feedback from the public. The course can not be installed without going before the board of supervisors (which is different from the parks commission). But you are free to show up at the parks commission and get your 2 minutes to orally communicate your support for the course. Keep in mind that you will be on public record.

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the parks department finally got back to us and let us know that they are postponing any further action on course development for a least a year. The reason is that they have 30% budget cuts and the neighbors around the park complained vigorously. They do not want controversy but unfortunately this decision is unacceptable to us. We must now campaign to get what we want and to do that we need to get every DGer in San Mateo County and beyond to help us in our quest. Please join this facebook group if you haven't already for more: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108428739554

For those of you who aren't on Facebook but would like to help us in our quest to get a bona fide disc golf course in San Mateo county, Please email our parks commission at this email address:

[email protected]

---------THIS IS A SAMPLE LETTER BELOW-----------------------

Dear San Mateo County Park Commission

I urge you to continue the process of building a disc golf course at Junipero Serra County Park. The parks department conducted two public meetings last August and submitted a negative declaration with a comment period which ended in September. Now, they have decided to postpone the project for at least one year. It is time to move forward as it has been in the official process for almost two years. The people of San Mateo County deserve to have this inexpensive, healthy, and fun recreational activity available in an otherwise underutilized park.

The course won't cost the county a single cent to develop: funding will come from private donations. The parks department conservatively estimates that the course will generate approximately $45,000 a year in parking revenue. The amount of pure recreational joy it will bring to the lives of people young and old is priceless.

Please move this process forward and take it out of the "holding pattern".

Sincerely,

Your Name.
Your City.

We are now meeting with the parks department next tuesday, and the topic will be how to move forward with the project. The emails seem to be working. Keep 'em coming

The parks department is now moving forward with us on this project. We are gunning for a first class course similar in style to golden gate park in terms of the retaining walls and signage. Before anything gets going, we need to conduct several studies at the park and do a redesign that will be more friendly to the environment and to people with knee problems (the old design had significant elevation changes, the redesign will be more cross hill).

Congrats Peter!!! I know you've been leaning on them to make it happen...

Wish me luck for this Wednesday, and hoping we can get together sometime in the next month or two.

Tim S.

The parks department is now moving forward with us on this project. We are gunning for a first class course similar in style to golden gate park in terms of the retaining walls and signage. Before anything gets going, we need to conduct several studies at the park and do a redesign that will be more friendly to the environment and to people with knee problems (the old design had significant elevation changes, the redesign will be more cross hill).

One thing to consider is that walking on side hills with one foot lower than the other is often even worse on ankles and knees than walking up or down.

Congrats Peter!!! I know you've been leaning on them to make it happen...

Wish me luck for this Wednesday, and hoping we can get together sometime in the next month or two.

Tim S.

yeah brother...good luck up there in Benicia! I've been super busy, as usual...hope to get to see your layout before you need to commit to it.

One thing to consider is that walking on side hills with one foot lower than the other is often even worse on ankles and knees than walking up or down.

True. We're planning on creating singletrack trails from tee to the pin which will hopefully provide a relatively flat surface for a nice walk. Any thoughts on that?

That helps quite a bit on those walks, but when you have a fairway that follows the contour of the hill rather than going up or down, it's pretty difficult to avoid walking on the side hill.

So we're on the park commission agenda for April 7th, 4pm Board of Supervisors Chambers, Hall of Justice, 400 County Center, Redwood City, CA 94063!!!

Come on out of the woodwork and support our quest to build a course in San Mateo County!!!

I have taken this project on from Peter, although I am in contact with him constantly for his input and expertise. I live in San Bruno an am trying to get the local community involved, I will post updates here as soon as I get more updates.

Latest posts