• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Just got a new dog! Recommend the best disc for starting to play catch.

I second the recommendation for hyperflite jawz. Especially in the glow plastic. Just like golf discs they are more stable than the other plastic options. Also the jawz plastic lasts for a very long time. I have a German shorthair that is nuts about fetch so we play with his disc almost daily and we have had his for almost three years.
I experimented with the comparable super hero disc and Timber had chewed it to bits in just a couple weeks.

Kong frisbee. They are borderline indestructible. My 100 pound catahoula leopard dog has yet to kill his going on 6 years now. They fly pretty well too!

Just make sure you teach the dog which disc is his, not just any old disc, gotta be their disc.

https://www.herodiscusa.com/ And you can work on your Garrett Gurthie upshots:
taffy_pink_1.jpg

Exact one I was going to suggest.

Exact one I was going to suggest.

Just looks for the Candy=Champion, the Taffy=Star, or the Metalic Taffy=G Star in that or the Super Hero 245 mold. The Standard DX like Hero Super Sonic 215 or Super Hero 245 is not for dogs but rather Innova's version of a standard Fastback both disc the DX 215 and 245 are used for Guts the way a Standard Wham-O fastback is.

Last edited:
Jawz was good, there's also West Paw I think it is called is super soft, if you are hoping he can catch it in the air the softer the better. My old guy was great trained him not to touch discs for two or three years then gave him his own it was awesome. He would only chase his unless I told him to go get it and threw a rock in the right direction...

But I screwed that up with my new dog we should have done NO DISC a lot longer and I have created problems now when I take him.. He's fine with everyone throwing except me so as long as I'm in a group and someone can hold the dog it's fine but solo rounds are frustrating. He barks and jumps in front of the shot even leashed up. Back to square -1 he's no "Jake"

Last edited:
do not forget the ground game!

any putter on a approach distance snap works fine. fun for a little exotic disc manipulation practice. great way for learning how to roll discs into and up the back of card mates legs between holes for classic horseplayer and comradely building.

soft is my preference and I like foam or rubber rings and thick foam beveled edge discs for rollers and bouncers. rabbit and squirrel action. some variety in how the dog moves i. the play session. a bit trickier for the dog to race down and grab.

... two of my dog friends pretty much only have a ground game. honeybear Zoe the corgi and creepy Dewey the bichon-yorkie

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728H95GJ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_jrr8Bb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006VB3U4/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_kir8BbKA4QQDX

Last edited:
I think you should start to form a squishy one, especially if your dogs know how to catch regular balls. It will be the same process, and your dog will know what to do. Then you can slowly switch to the type you like to play, and I'm sure your husky will figure out how to catch it

I use "chuckit" frisbees for my frisbee dog. He is very natural and I like how these fly. If I had more than 1/3 acre to play in we would use a bite or superhero so he could really chase some down.

I do think however his frisbee being cloth and mine plastic has kept all teeth off my putters in the yard. He is pretty good about knowing what he can and cannot play with and what he can and shouldn't chew.

I think you should start to form a squishy one, especially if your dogs know how to catch regular balls. It will be the same process, and your dog will know what to do. Then you can slowly switch to the type you like to play, and I'm sure your husky will figure out how to catch it

However, don't choose plastic ones because your dog's teeth are strong and his bite could damage the disc. Start with short distances and then go farther and farther away. This is a basic rule for training your dog to catch freebies. I asked this question when buying a german shepherd at the breeder and it was the exact answer. It helped me, and I hope it helps you too!