• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Largest Tournament in Your State?

Hazy Shade BYOP. Definitely a must play if you are in the state. The Hazy Shade crew do an amazing job every year. This will be the 14th year. Spots still available for Adv. Open. and Mixed

Has to be the combined Pro Worlds and the Am Worlds in 2012 held in Charlotte (all 14 courses were in the same county) that totaled out at 1095 discers. Boy was that a crowded players meeting!

Yeah, outside of the USDGC there's really the Charleston Classic, the Earlewood Classic, and the Upstate Classic. They aren't really that high-profile, but they are B tiers and usually fill/come close to filling, right?

Pretty much, and probably in that order. Charleston Classic uses 2 courses at once, so may have 150+ players, and draws a few big names to the Pro side. It's The Earlewood Classic, after years of being the hottest ticket around, went to 2 weekends this year, Pro & Am; combined, they're also in the 150+ range.

They also used to bookend the year around here, and still sort of do. The Earlewood Classic is around March 1; before that, it's mostly ice bowls and small C-tiers. The Charleston Classic is the 1st weekend in December, which pretty much winds things up. Charleston is also a bit of a big deal because they use a wonderful temp course that can only be played like that once a year; the weather is generally warm at a time when that's very welcome; and Charleston is, well, Charleston.

What he said.

The Discraft Michigan State Championship will always remain a B Tier event too. It is by far one of the funnest, most put together disc golf tournaments in the country. This year another course, Whiskey Creek, may be added. The guys at Mason County Disc Golf Organization are just monsters when it comes to knowing what makes disc golf fun. bravo! :)

I agree. The Mason Co. crew is top notch. Newer players should also know growth in the area was greatly supported by the statewide MDGO starting in the early 90s when cash was provided to help with course expansion and development. That early infusion of resources was geared towards developing the state championship venues long-term and it certainly paid off. In a sport where most players are just wanting to go play the game, the effort and behind the scenes dedication of organizers in MI is amazing. Kudos to the early MDGO gang!

Pretty much, and probably in that order. Charleston Classic uses 2 courses at once, so may have 150+ players, and draws a few big names to the Pro side. It's The Earlewood Classic, after years of being the hottest ticket around, went to 2 weekends this year, Pro & Am; combined, they're also in the 150+ range.

They also used to bookend the year around here, and still sort of do. The Earlewood Classic is around March 1; before that, it's mostly ice bowls and small C-tiers. The Charleston Classic is the 1st weekend in December, which pretty much winds things up. Charleston is also a bit of a big deal because they use a wonderful temp course that can only be played like that once a year; the weather is generally warm at a time when that's very welcome; and Charleston is, well, Charleston.

I didn't think about that, but yeah, they do pretty much bookend the tournament season in the State; if you had to say what tournament type is the biggest in SC though, it would definitely be Ice Bowls.

Also, I totally forgot, but the National Collegiate Championship is also held in SC, although the Hippo really is part of the Augusta scene. However, North Augusta is in SC (although you can see Augusta from parts of Old Glory and Hogback) so it counts as SC lol. That also means the Augusta Classic this year (it was mentioned up thread) is partly in SC this year as well.

CT only has one A tier but it's a USDGC qualifier. GHDGO.

It's weird though because the New England region pretty much has a large A tier/NT every other nice weather month and B tiers every weekend. So you have a B tier every weekend probably within 1-3 hours drive away from March till November if you live in CT.

The one problem is, as I guess with other regions, as an amateur ,most popular tourneys fill up quick. If you're not on the inside track, by being a club member/active on regional forums/club Facebook or websites then even with big tourneys every weekend you have to sign up months in advance.

Also, I totally forgot, but the National Collegiate Championship is also held in SC, although the Hippo really is part of the Augusta scene. However, North Augusta is in SC (although you can see Augusta from parts of Old Glory and Hogback) so it counts as SC lol. That also means the Augusta Classic this year (it was mentioned up thread) is partly in SC this year as well.

Ah, I forgot about the National Collegiates. Definitely one of the top events and, like the USDGC, not for us regular guys. Which is probably why I forgot about it.

Ah, I forgot about the National Collegiates. Definitely one of the top events and, like the USDGC, not for us regular guys. Which is probably why I forgot about it.

Very true; it seems the only place where it really gets talked up too is on the PDGA website. I should be getting a chance to play in it this spring, provided we qualify in this year (I don't think that will be too difficult though) and everything works out with my classes etc to where I can take the week to go play (ie, no major tests/projects that week). I could have gone this past Spring, but I was co-oping and couldn't take the week off :\

The one problem is, as I guess with other regions, as an amateur ,most popular tourneys fill up quick. If you're not on the inside track, by being a club member/active on regional forums/club Facebook or websites then even with big tourneys every weekend you have to sign up months in advance.

The Beaver State Fling has gone to a lottery style pick for amateurs, and many many people don't get to play with the limited field. They did try to do an am weekend separate from the pro weekend but it didn't last. The BSF Pro field opens to 1000 plus rated then 990, 980, etc until it is filled. If you are not 980 plus you probably won't make it in. Insane is right...

Latest posts