• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lightning discs? What happened here?

LOL...they have the #3 Flyers down as a driver. It's a straight-up Mid. It's like a larger diameter Shark. No idea how that is listed as a driver.

probably because when it was first made, it WAS considered a driver.

think way back. in 83 the Eagle(now the Aero) was a long distance driver haha. few years later what is now the Classic Roc was, etc etc

So GGGT is making new discs with the old molds, are they using the same plastic as well or what? I know someone mentioned seeing a newer plastic, but is that part of the new run? Just looking for clarification before I make any crazy decisions. I am sentimentally attached to Lightning lol, wouldn't mind having some back in my bag.

probably because when it was first made, it WAS considered a driver.

think way back. in 83 the Eagle(now the Aero) was a long distance driver haha. few years later what is now the Classic Roc was, etc etc
Not really what I meant. In the late 90's I sold a ton of Lightning discs to recreational players; they liked the flight shown on the disc that the post-airplane stamps had. The weakness is that almost every disc they sold other than the Rubber Rubber Putter and Upshot were called "drivers" in one way or another. People had no range reference for how far to expect them to fly. If you stick with what Lightning classified these discs as back then, you would have maybe 2-3 midranges, when actually most of them are what people now would consider midranges.

So now they have this new website and they put some discs in a Mid classification. That's cool. My lol was that while doing this, they took the most classic mid-shaped disc that they make (the Spitfire/#3 Flyer) and left it as a driver. Seriously, if you had a stack of unstamped Lightning discs if front of you and were asked to pick out one midrange, 99 out of 100 disc golfers would pick the Spitfire.

Lol. You can question me any time. I love it when a thread gets necro bumped and I read an old post that I got totally wrong. :p

I wonder if they are going to do any custom stamps? Back in the day Lightning did custom stamps with no art charge so a lot of tournament discs ended up being Lightning. I remember going to Morley Field in the late 90's and the only discs they had for sale with a Morley Field stamp were Lightning Discs. I think I bought a #3 Driver.

No extra charge for custom stamps and no extra charge for glow plastic was a big part of the draw for Lightning discs back in the day.

Hmmm, if they run some new #2 Upshots I might have to get one. The U-2 was the disc that taught me to hyzerflip. And that you can throw putters far, both of which are great DG lessons.

Not really what I meant. In the late 90's I sold a ton of Lightning discs to recreational players; they liked the flight shown on the disc that the post-airplane stamps had. The weakness is that almost every disc they sold other than the Rubber Rubber Putter and Upshot were called "drivers" in one way or another. People had no range reference for how far to expect them to fly. If you stick with what Lightning classified these discs as back then, you would have maybe 2-3 midranges, when actually most of them are what people now would consider midranges.

So now they have this new website and they put some discs in a Mid classification. That's cool. My lol was that while doing this, they took the most classic mid-shaped disc that they make (the Spitfire/#3 Flyer) and left it as a driver. Seriously, if you had a stack of unstamped Lightning discs if front of you and were asked to pick out one midrange, 99 out of 100 disc golfers would pick the Spitfire.

Most midranges fall in at 1.2 to 1.3 cm rim widths. The #3 is at 1.5 cm. What to call it? I've never thrown one but it has a wider body than most drivers, similar to a mid. My recollection was that Innova, and maybe Lightning, experimented with mid range body width drivers but that Innova felt they were to slow. I think Millennium had one too. #3 feels like one of those, based on the description. Millennium quit making the one they tried, I don't know what the Innova equivalent was, may still be around?

BTW - I went looking for the Millennium equivalent a few years ago. If I were to hazard a guess, It will be slow and controllable like a mid, but might have more distance, like a fairway. That is what I was hoping for anyway. Seems like an ideal disc if that is true.

BTW - I went looking for the Millennium equivalent a few years ago. If I were to hazard a guess, It will be slow and controllable like a mid, but might have more distance, like a fairway. That is what I was hoping for anyway. Seems like an ideal disc if that is true.
The disc you are looking for is the F-15 Eagle/#2 Driver. Mid top with a big 'ol 1.7 cm driver wing. Flight closest to a Roc than anything but sneaky long.

So rad. My dad and his best friend were sponsored by Lightning back in the early early 90s. He'll be glad to hear this!

Everything we keep outside starts rusting within 6 months where I live. I have a Lightning basket that has been in my backyard for the past 8 years less than 1/8 of mile from a salt marsh with no signs of rust anywhere.

Latest posts