• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for a coach/personal lessons

ertai

I'm looking for a coach in the Des Moines area for personal lessons. I've been playing for years, and looking over form advice for years but still can't figure it out. I can only get the whoosh once in a while, it's very inconsistent, and I'm more sure why I get it sometimes and not other times. Some help would be appreciated.

If there is a club or league in the area, maybe try there. Facebook would probably be your best bet at finding something.

Facebook, "515 Disc Golf" group, there are people who post on there occasionally asking for coaching and they always get a few responses from folks.

Go to your local course and ask players for suggestions. Find out who is suggested by the most people. Or, as Horsman said, find the local club/league...they know who has the best skills and can teach. Also, be clear on what you want to learn....not everyone throws all the shots. I let my instructor know my plan was to get lessons on backhand (I had no backhand), putting, forehand improvement (I was mainly forehand, but wanted to improve my consistency), and course work. He let me know he's not a forehand player and I was okay with that....I just wanted him to see if he could spot/identify what I was doing wrong. For backhand, I let him know I wanted to be able to throw a basic backhand...and have it go straight instead of behind me or to my right. In a future lesson, I plan on having him teach me hyzers and anhyzers....(he did give me pointers on them, but our focus was just consistency in getting the disc to go straight out of my hand).

TL:DR....have a goal/plan in mind before you meet with an instructor. That way the lesson(s) will be focused and not just a bunch of how to's that leave you with too much to work on and remember.

Latest posts