• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help Needed: Correcting Backhand Form Issues

PNWkid

Hey everyone,

I've been wrestling with a major issue in my backhand form for what feels like forever. I'm lucky to have some open space right outside my door, so I practice there 5-6 days a week. Despite watching countless backhand videos (probably twice each), I just can't seem to nail it down.

As you'll see in the clips below, I'm struggling to get into the "pocket." I keep rotating too much when the disc reaches my left shoulder/pec, and I can't get my elbow forward for that whip-like release.

A bit about my background: I played baseball up until my senior year of high school, mainly as a pitcher. By junior year, my fastball was hitting 88-91 mph. But, I started having elbow pain during my senior summer season. I had to get daily treatments and struggled to finish games due to the pain. I never had surgery since I didn't plan on playing after high school. The good news is, I don't feel any pain throwing discs now, and it's been over 10 years since then.

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. I'm getting pretty frustrated, which is why I'm reaching out here. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and offer your insights.

P.S. I hope the footage is clear enough. If you need more details or clips, just let me know.(y)(y)

Focus on your grip and keeping your upper arm wide away from your chest and releasing the lower arm while your shoulders/chest are still closed to target.