• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Loriella Park in Virginia???

ECUDiscgolf

I'm registered for the upcoming Loriella challenge in VA the second week in March and have never played the course as Im from Eastern NC. IF there is anybody who has some descriptions beyond what is on the PDGA course directory that would be great . Like are ther any pars over 3, avg score, length. thanks

from the short tees in tourney set-up par is 55 and anything under will serve you well. ssa is likely 48 or so.

from the longs par is 67 and anything under 65 is very good shooting- ssa is likely 62 or so.

unless you are playing advanced or above you will not play the longs. regardless of which tees you are playing there will be 9 baskets that move between rounds.

thanks for the response, cause I saw the alternate layout of 1,5,12 on the review page. As of right now I am registered for intermediate, and was considering moving up to advanced, cause that is the qualifier for AM narionals. IM gonna come up the day before and play both pin setings and decide to move up or not.So the tourney for me will be two rounds from the short tees?

I played that course 2yrs ago and loved it. It's pretty close to 50/50 open and wooded holes. There's a great water throw as well as some decent elevation variations.

PDGA description? Just stick with DGCR. The PDGA site is prettymuch obsoleted at this point.

yeh man thanks for the advice, I had realized that alot of the PDGA stuff is not correct even for my home course. what would you estimate is the longest holerowhites under/over 400?

I'm sorry but I don't recall. The longest hole is probably #18 (and if not it's #2) which is +350'. I've got buddies in NoVa and a little part of me was thinking maybe I'd drive down for this tournament. Any word if there are players' pack goodies?

Don't quote me on the #18/#2 comment. Just bring all your discs. It's the only way I feel safe playing a course during a tournament round for the first time.

Oh, and when you enter the park you'll want to drive all the way to the back-right.

oh, it's way more than 350' for the longer holes. In the long pins from long tees, the course gets pretty massive; at least six of the holes I can think of quickly are over 500', and some with lots of nasty trees in the way. Holes 4 and 5 are probably 650'+ long-to-long. Even in the short, hole 5 is ~500' (slight downhill).

Course is almost 50/50 open vs. trees. Open areas are on rolling hills with lots of elevation changes and frequent high winds; the wind and elevation make this part of the course really tricky, and a nice contrast to the tight wooded areas. Wooded areas are not as much elevation, but include a lot of tight alleys and a couple of shots around a pond (including one shot over the pond in every layout; two shots over the pond with pins in the long positions).

This is a gorgeous tournament course. I would recommend playing in Advanced just so you get to play the long pins -- they are an awesome challenge and are so much cooler than the short pins that I think you'd be advised to play up a division just to test your game on the long pins. My first-ever 1000-rated round was there on the longs, in reasonably high winds. I shot a 63, rated 1002, in those conditions. The next day, in less wind, SSA for 1000-rated was just under 62 strokes.

So basically, if you're playing competitively in intermediate right now, you should be shooting in the low-mid 70s on the long layout, and in the mid/high 50s on the short layout. If you can shoot 55/70, you should be around last cash in Advanced.

I'll be out there on the Pro day. And if you're coming into town anyway, you should consider signing up for the Pro event as well... see the big guns play the course and get to play with some amazing folks. And get a few more tourney rounds under your belt. As well as the chance to fix any mistakes you felt you made the day before.

It is an awesome course and an amazing tourney -- glad you get to play.

am players pack will be choice of tourney stamp kc roc, kc aviar or san marino roc and a full-color mini (at least i think that's right, i know the discs are correct but i'm not the td)

Most of the guys here have probably played it a few times. A tip from a guy who only played it once--- I highly recommend getting a round or two in before you play. While this is good advice for every new course you play before a tournament this course needs it especially. If you do decide to play the advanced level good luck, if I recall correctly a lot of the holes are tight and long. It's a nice course that isn't marked very well, I wish I would have played after a tournament assuming they mark it up for the tournament.

Good luck and have fun.

thanks to your review wombat there are steps being taken to rectify the marking situation. unfortunately our hands have been somewhat tied on getting signage in- the family who donated the land for the park years ago still holds some covenants and they have picked dg for their whipping boy. this is despite the fact that the parks and rec dept itself loves us (we are the only thing in the whole county that actually maintains it's own facility). we are currently not allowed to do any work but we will be putting in some marker bricks set into the ground at the pin positions surreptitiously.

i agree completely that if you're playing the event you need to see the course prior, in particular if you're playing the long tees.

Thanks that is what I was looking for. I am pretty sure that I am going to bump up to advanced as I normally play in advanced at local courses. Hopefully it wont be too rough and if so, It will just be a humbling experience. And regardless I wouldnt want to go up there and be a complete bagger from the short tees. Well thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Oh yeh and quick question: You mentioned something about those conditions with the wind and all. Can your round rating be effected/changed by weather conditions?

the way the ratings are done they basically account for it as they only compare your score to other scores shot at the same time rather than to an existing standard.

in general nc adv players do pretty well in va.

thanks to your review wombat there are steps being taken to rectify the marking situation. unfortunately our hands have been somewhat tied on getting signage in- the family who donated the land for the park years ago still holds some covenants and they have picked dg for their whipping boy. this is despite the fact that the parks and rec dept itself loves us (we are the only thing in the whole county that actually maintains it's own facility). we are currently not allowed to do any work but we will be putting in some marker bricks set into the ground at the pin positions surreptitiously.

That's great that you guys are putting marker bricks in. I wish you the best of luck dealing with the politics and I hope everything works out well. I know what it's like trying to deal with people that get in the way of getting things done.

Oh yeh and quick question: You mentioned something about those conditions with the wind and all. Can your round rating be effected/changed by weather conditions?

One of the best examples I know of to see this in action is to check out the scores from the Dogwood Crosstown Am event in March 2008.

The Zebulon course was played in the exact same layout and by the exact same field of players in Rounds 1 and 2, and by a similar group of players (still an identical layout) in round 4. (Round 3 had a different field of players).

If anything, you would typically expect round scores to go down from round 1 to 2 since players have just seen the course. Not that weekend.

First round, winds were in the 25-30mph range. Second round, winds were gusting as much as 50-60mph; a 10' putt was 50/50. I saw discs fly sideways and backwards and all over crazy. Round four, the next day, winds were probably 5-10mph.

The highest SSA for the course was 55.55; lowest SSA was 52.04 -- so a 3.5 stroke average difference per round when going from 50-60mph winds down to 5-10mph winds.

The amazing thing to me was that it was only 3.5 strokes -- as crazy as that wind was, I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been much, much worse.

Sad thing is that I shot the same score in the 50-60mph wind as I did in the 5-10mph wind. I was one of the folks throwing off the curve... but then, I love to play in wind (I learned to play disc golf in TX).

Tim, that is an amazingly detailed-with-great-info post (the earlier post about the tournament rather than the new one about the weather). John, thanks for the players pack info. I'm always shocked that TD's don't post player pack info even that's it's worth $##. I think it helps draw AM's. Sweet deal that it's capped at 72. Playing in 4's is way better than 5's.

That stinks that even AM2 doesn't play the long tees. I'm used to NEFA (New England) TD's putting everyone on long tees excet Rec and usually AM Women.

I won't be heading down for this afterall but I do love Loriella and hope to get to play it again one day. Keep up the good work. I hope the markers work out and the P&R Dept continue to love you.

Latest posts