• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Mamba or unLace for a low arm speed player

wims

Double Eagle Member
Good day,
I'm a beginner, having only started playing this summer. I'm only about 5'7 and I'm really out of shape, I have pretty bad arm speed. I throw my super beat up 150g Leopard about 300 feet on an extreme hyzer (it's so beat up that I have to give it an extreme hyzer, else it will turn and burn). I also throw my 172g Valk about the same distance.

I'm thinking about trying out some ultra high speed understable discs, discs like the Mamba or the unLace. Or perhaps get some super low weight blizzard Terns or whatever. What do you think about the kind of distance I will get with such discs? Will they be too stable for me, even tho they are rated -5 for turn? Will they add distance? Are there anyone who have been throwing similar distance to me that have tried out one of these discs, and if so, how did they fly for you?

In before "you need to throw your mids 350' before discing up." :)

Unlace is meant to be thrown 44 miles per hour, by Vibram's numbers, making it their "slowest" disc besides the Summit, in spite of its huge rim.

It's touchy, but when you hit it just right, amazing distance.

I would get a champion mamba in the high 160s. A lot of slower arms including myself ( I throw around 350' - 375')throw a mamba and works out good. The shallow rim also makes it feel more like a speed 8-9 disc. I have a star tern but I don't like wide rim discs. I usually stick to speed 9 and lower discs except for the mamba. Others that throw a mamba I know were throwing around 300' and bumped up to 320-350 with a mamba. I think of the mamba as the understable equivalent of a firebird. Hyzer flips, short overhand throws, rollers. It my trick disc and long range driver in a tailwind or no wind. I have thrown a unlace but didn't like it. I would throw the mamba flat until you get it beat in a bit and get your arm speed up.

Mamba over Unlace. The Unlace was so understable, i had trouble getting any distance out of it whatsoever. if you are going to go that understable, i think you would do a lot better with a lower speed option.

You might not have the power to keep the high speed discs aloft long enough to fully appreciate their attributes. The slow armed players Ive played with have the most success with lower speed distance drivers in base plastic. I recommend DX Vikings and/or Valkyries in the high 150s/ low 160s

mamba, however I don't think you should throw either.

I recommend the "how to build a bag" thread as well as sticking to speed 7 and lower until your game progresses.

It really does work and A LOT of people find out far too late.

mamba over the touchy unlace, however, I would start out with a DX leopard or sidewinder and eventually a Gstar sidewinder. It gives you motre room to grow. However, if you are only thinking of the two....the mamba X 1 million

I dig the mamba, its like a flatter faster valkyie, that FOR SURE turns hard at high speed, i think they're a cool disc. i have a couple and 1 for sale only thrown 3 times, (only reason, I bought 2 ;)

The unlace is probably going to frustrate you greatly. I would go get a couple of Teebirds in the 160s. Maybe a Valk or a Hu as well.

I love the mamba for rollers and tailwind drives. The unlace was almost so understable that it was unusable for even rollers. If the mamba does prove to fast you could also check out the monarch.

If you are throwing a beat leopard 300', you can probably work with a more stable disc than a Mamba or similar. Consider a star Tern, Renegade, or a beat P-PD to name a few. Go with lighter weight discs and get the speed up instead of heavier discs that are more floppy.

Like most people, I delved too deeply into distance drivers as I was learning, and it stunted my advancement for a while. Watch a few good Grandmaster or Legend players - they'll score rounds well above a 900 rating, but never throw further than 350'

My advice (for what it's worth) is to try a DX Teebird and/or a Star Valkyrie around 165gr. Both are better long term discs and when the valk is beat to death, it makes a far more accurate roller than the Mamba.

I had a champ Mamba for a while (found it and traded it off a month later), was fun to toss around a bit but I could throw my Valk on a hyzer flip just as far and with a lot more accuracy.

My vote is unlace under close supervision..... About a year into playing I picked up a 131 katana (for a floater and b/c I didn't have any high speed understable discs). I brought it out and tried to throw it flat a few times. Turn and burn..... Went in the trunk. After another year or so, and kind of getting an understanding of stability, I decided to take it out and discovered the hyzerflip to be able to throw tunnel shots. This disc was great from standstill. As I improved and was putting more torque on the disc. I picked up a mid 160s unlace because the flight path was similar to the katana, but I can kind of crank on it. I have to hit it right, but when I do, I get my largest distance out of it. If an experienced player can keep a close eye on the user, this may work. Although - much mid and putter work should be done first (how bout a summit?). My understable putter I drive with on putter only rounds.....

I say check out a DX Teebird in a more normal weight than your Leo. Seriously, they bomb far and actually glide. Plus they will keep you throwing properly. The only downside is they will wear in like your Leo has, but some people like that to an extent. The better plastics will be significantly more beefy for you...and although that is good for control, that will cost some distance.

If you really want a high speed disc to try out go for it...but I will say it may not go much further and it will be way harder to throw. They don't glide unless they are up to speed, and will fade harder than their numbers suggest if not up to speed. For example a star Vulcan which is rated as being very understable had a big fade for me until it was thrown with ~350' of power. At around that level it got super flippy and acted like the numbers. Past that it needs a big hyzer flip. There is a massive "speed stability" factor with those high speed discs even if the mold is supposed to be understable.