• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mosquito deterrent

Something else to be aware of, with the spray repellent, is that you don't want to rub it into your skin as though it were sunscreen. Rubbing it in reduces the effectiveness, because it works by evaporating into the air around you, not by staying on or rubbed into your skin. If you're using sunscreen at the same time, apply the sunscreen first, rub that in, and then apply the repellent spray last, without rubbing it in.

I still have a small bottle of 100% DEET... Im too chicken poo to use it. I use the Off Deep Woods dry spray and its been working great here in Western MA.

I use regular deep woods off. I don't care for the dry version. It's gonna be a bad summer for mosquitos here and I'll play almost everyday; so I've asked for it for my birthday and Father's Day already.

If anyone is looking for a natural repellent, check out Neem Oil. A friend who is doing his post-grad in plant sciences and agrculture recommended it, works well and has a bunch of other uses as well.

I use Deep Woods Off Dry. Works like a charm. However, avoid contact with your discs, that stuff wil start to eat at the plastic if you let it.

Apple cider vinegar is natural and works atleast as well as deet. You can mix in other herbs and oils, but the heavy lifter will always be acv(four thieves supposedly survived the black plague making a tincture and using it internally and externally). Also if you get bit because you didn't spray yourself down, put acv on the bite and be amazed. Itching goes away instantly and it heals I'd say about 3-4 times faster or more. You have acne? Acv. You have a mole or wart you want to remove? Acv. Drink and bathe acv. Yw.

http://www.doterra.com/au/productpages/TerraShield_PIP_v11.pdf

Just a couple of drops on the arms and legs (if wearing shorts). We have some major mosquito issues here in Tennessee, and I've yet to get bitten after applying this stuff. A bottle usually contains about 100 drops or so, so it's good for about 25 rounds. One drop on each leg and arm does the trick for me.

Where do you buy? I went to their website and cannot find any more info.

Apple cider vinegar is natural and works atleast as well as deet. You can mix in other herbs and oils, but the heavy lifter will always be acv(four thieves supposedly survived the black plague making a tincture and using it internally and externally). Also if you get bit because you didn't spray yourself down, put acv on the bite and be amazed. Itching goes away instantly and it heals I'd say about 3-4 times faster or more. You have acne? Acv. You have a mole or wart you want to remove? Acv. Drink and bathe acv. Yw.

Very interesting, I use the inside of a banana peel on my boys when they get bit ,because they pick at the bumps and they eventually bleed. It works well but ACV is cheaper so I will definitely try this.

Another vote for deep woods off or Repel (spray, green bottle, 40%). I will live with greasy-ness (never noticed but never used the pump bottle) but fark the mosquitoes in Texas. Especially Pearland, they give a tax break for it.

I use an essential oils blend because I am allergic to DEET, if I spray on DEET the mosquitoes freaking attack me! it uses; 2 ounces distilled water, 1.5 ounces witch hazel, 30 drops citronella essential oil, 25 drops peppermint essential oil, 15 drops tea tree essential oil, 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil* (optional, if you add this, add only 1 ounce of witch hazel. It works so well for me and my kids. When I am playing in a mini or a know I will be standing putting for a while I will use ThermaCell because it seems to work for sitting areas.

I stopped using Off about a month ago since it left a seemingly permanent mark on my asphalt driveway and killed my grass. Still shiny on my driveway after several torrential downpours. I might sound like a hippie, but no more of that crap on my skin.

Try this below. I mix with witch hazel and it's loaded with anti-tick and bug repellent, and no harmful chemicals. Smells like lemon citronella too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OR6CDC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WO-uvb03671XF

I'm out in the woods almost every day and I honestly can't remember the last time I've used any bug spray. Maybe 5 or 6 years ago? I just look at the bugs with a 1000 yard stare and they leave me alone.

I stopped using Off about a month ago since it left a seemingly permanent mark on my asphalt driveway and killed my grass. Still shiny on my driveway after several torrential downpours. I might sound like a hippie, but no more of that crap on my skin.

Try this below. I mix with witch hazel and it's loaded with anti-tick and bug repellent, and no harmful chemicals. Smells like lemon citronella too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OR6CDC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WO-uvb03671XF
Nothing wrong with sounding like a hippie. They tend to have good values. Western culture is conditioned to think that they need synthetic garbage when in fact the natural remedies can be more effective, cheaper, safer for your body and the environment, etc. My main issue with the hippie way is alot of them don't care about hygiene. It could be argued that we were tricked into bathing each day in very recent history by companies that profited off of our conformity(look at Europeans, they are just now "catching on" to hygiene), but I don't want stinky armpits and bugs crawling in my hair so I like to believe it is part of evolving.

I was taking photos at a tourney up in Minnesota and the skeeters were eating me alive. One players saw me being eaten and he called me over and gave me a bottle of Absorbine Jr.. He said he's been using it for years and swears by it. I put it on and never had any problem the rest of the day. Been using it ever since.

Absorbine Jr and Bug Soother are what I carry, and I almost never have any bug issues. I remember watching Deet spray melt holes in a rain jacket on a Boundary Waters trip when I was maybe 10 years old, so I try not to use it anymore. Absorbine is intended as a topical pain relief product so happy bonus for wherever I put it. It also works really well for after-bite relief.

Nothing wrong with sounding like a hippie. They tend to have good values. Western culture is conditioned to think that they need synthetic garbage when in fact the natural remedies can be more effective, cheaper, safer for your body and the environment, etc. My main issue with the hippie way is alot of them don't care about hygiene. It could be argued that we were tricked into bathing each day in very recent history by companies that profited off of our conformity(look at Europeans, they are just now "catching on" to hygiene), but I don't want stinky armpits and bugs crawling in my hair so I like to believe it is part of evolving.

iirc, it was the Native Americans that taught us to bathe daily.

About the Absorbine Jr remedy. Dab it on your chin and the back of your neck, but don't get it on your hands...or your discs.