• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving Debris

Dogma1

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking for clarification on the following:
803.5 B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round. The player must first attempt to remove the obstacle. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is announced by the director).
In the past I have (mistakenly?) assumed that it meant that any deadfall on the course could be moved. Reading it more closely carefully, it appears that you can only move debris or dead limbs that are in the way of your run up or stance area. If I have a big dead branch that isn't attached to a tree, lying directly in my line of fire but just ahead of my stance, I'm not allowed to move it. Is that right?

Is the same true for a large branch that has landed on the basket, effectively blocking it? It can't be moved until after the round is over?

This appears to be supported by:
803.5 A. Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described in 803.05 B, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course...

unless that item fell during the round of play correct? Say a stiff breeze knocked down the branch blocking the basket during the round then it could be removed?

Latest posts