• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

my putting routine

funnystance

Par Member
just wondering if this sounds like a good way to practice putting:

from 12 feet: make 10 in a row
then from 15, 18, 21, 24, 27 and 30 i throw 12 shots each (using 3 discs only), then 3 each backwards from 30 as straddle putts (which is not my normal form, but i have to throw em occasionaly so might as well practice) then 9 more shots each from 15 back to 30 and then 3 more straddle from each.

It results in 126 regular putts, 36 straddles (not counting the 10 "gimmes" i start with.)
My goal is to make 2/3 of the putts. I usually range from 62-75%. That seem reasonable for an intermediate?

Seem like a decent practice routine?

I use one disc and just walk to random spots within about 30 feet. Then I putt just a few from like 50 feet then go back and make 5 or 10 "must get" putts. That normally gets me warmed up pretty well.

I'm basing this off the different methods of practicing effectively that I've seen, read, and used. In my opinion, any practice routine where your goal is to hit 2/3 might be counter-productive. These are some things I'd center a practice session around:

- If you're experimenting with a different form/stroke/style/timing, then your percentage isn't important. Getting the feel of the putt is the most important thing.

- If you're doing something like the Putting Confidence Clinic, you want to hit every single putt, and distance isn't as important as nailing everything. Not that you'll hit 100%, but that's the central goal of this kind of practice.

- I'll often do something like throw four discs out to distances between 15 and 30 feet, I use a mini, and go putt each one like it was for a birdie to win a skin, or a tournament. One disc, one shot at the basket. Again, in that case, it's not the total percentage I'm after, it's practicing the scenario and making the putt the first time. (The second putt doesn't matter, it always goes in. :) )

Other than that, if I'm just puttering around the yard and throwing putts at the basket, I don't expect to get great game-day results from it, but it's fun to do.

Any putting practice is good because it's all about repetitions and building the muscle memory.

That said, I'm sure some are more effective than others. Chiggins' advice seems solid in this respect.

The putting confidence clinic is a good watch, but I don't agree with the 2 disc thing. I usually have a stack of 4 when I practice. I feel that I have enough discipline to treat every shot the same, and the saved time is huge, putting with 4 discs allows you to get around 1.5-2x the number of putts in. Just my opinion.

Personally, I get bored easily while practicing putting, so I move around a lot. There's a good hole for this at my home course that offers a lot of variation that keeps it interesting for me. When I get tired of banging away at 25 footers straight on I usually take some downhill putts, putt through the trees, even throw some 90' approach shots. I normally try to start close, move out, and end up close. I try to begin and end with success; I'm sure that's just a psychological game.

When I putt in my own yard I don't have the shot variety, but I enforce making 50 putts before I go in, the last 5 have to be over 30'. That's fun, and frustrating when you're hungry and want to go inside.

J