• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Need a torque-bearing FH disc that finishes straight

What course is it? I'd love to see a pic to see what the actual shape is.

b47ba43eb9bc1b0b27e914b9293b0f84_m_izDtEYGdiepSskabTnUUAv46mmod.jpg

It's Ponderosa Camp DGC in Colorado north of Colorado Springs, private and open for events only.

I bet there are a lot of tree-course holes with a similar challenge, too.

If I had the skillz to float a BH putter down that gap, that's the right play--but I'd hit first available about 25% of the time on that shot. With the FH, well I'd guess it would be 5% rate on hitting first available.

I think if I was throwing a forehand I'd go left wide open gap? Hang something out there and let it work back up to o tyextt try ought and take the early gap out of play?

The basket is just over the baby ridge on the right side of the tight gap.

The play is to throw RHFH Firebird/Felon (etc) or RHBH Mako3/Fuse on high anny using the big open space to the left of the gap.

I'm shooting the gap bc it's giving me much better looks at a 2--going wide is almost always a 3 (at best, you can still get in lots of trouble).

I'm just always hitting the gap (knock on wood), my FH accuracy has just become excellent. I've actually been practicing in the basement on the practice basket (there are mattresses against the wall).

b47ba43eb9bc1b0b27e914b9293b0f84_m_izDtEYGdiepSskabTnUUAv46mmod.jpg

It's Ponderosa Camp DGC in Colorado north of Colorado Springs, private and open for events only.

I bet there are a lot of tree-course holes with a similar challenge, too.

If I had the skillz to float a BH putter down that gap, that's the right play--but I'd hit first available about 25% of the time on that shot. With the FH, well I'd guess it would be 5% rate on hitting first available.

At least you have some height to work with? :|

Slightly beat bt hard harp is really good for this shot. You can put some power into it and it will go straight before the fade at the end. If this is 210 that is the perfect distance. I've actually been practicing for a similar shot at my home course. The bt hard is so nice because I can do a full power shot without worrying about it turning over.

For a hyzerflip straight shot that can carry as far with less power and sit down, I would try a bounty. You dont have to put much power to hyzerflip it and it actually carries further then you would think.

Slightly beat bt hard harp is really good for this shot. You can put some power into it and it will go straight before the fade at the end. If this is 210 that is the perfect distance. I've actually been practicing for a similar shot at my home course. The bt hard is so nice because I can do a full power shot without worrying about it turning over.

For a hyzerflip straight shot that can carry as far with less power and sit down, I would try a bounty. You dont have to put much power to hyzerflip it and it actually carries further then you would think.

Harp and Suspect feel so good in the hand (I'd put A3 in the exact same group too), I'll have to try a more beat up one.

New versions are just a touch too OS to hold the line sniper-bullet style. If it fades it might hit the trees on the RH side of the tunnel.

But I love love love me a Harp. Actually the first disc I ever owned and I've only grown to respect it more.

Update: I threw all my discs (70) for about 2 hours today at the local park. I set up cones for a 6' tunnel and 210' basket to have some visual feedback.

What I learned:

The best discs for the flight path or shot shape were the most stubborn putters--the Banger, Streamline Pilot, and Aviar. Judge and Wizard pretty close too.

The ones that felt best in the hand if my goal is to throw a 2/3ds full send shot like a driver were Pilot and Compass. I was really impressed with that Compass, not sure the numbers.

I think the answer is a putter with dimensions close to a driver in terms of rim depth and shape etc. The perfect flight characteristics are very close to Banger or Aviar, maybe Dart too, I'd call it something like a 2/1/0.5/0. Those are weird numbers but they are fair numbers compared to the entire cohort of discs thrown.

I did not get a chance yet to throw an Envy, Crave, Trace, Kaxe K3, Wasp, or Rhyno.

I just don't like the feel of a Banger or Aviar for a decently-loaded FH shot. Even 210'. Maybe it's ergonomics. It's just too inconsistent. I can pure that DD2 all the time, it's super consistent.

I did throw my Harps I love the feel but they were to OS for this particular shot.

tl;dr -- Compass and Pilot might be the winners.

I'm shooting the gap bc it's giving me much better looks at a 2--going wide is almost always a 3 (at best, you can still get in lots of trouble).

I'm just always hitting the gap (knock on wood), my FH accuracy has just become excellent. I've actually been practicing in the basement on the practice basket (there are mattresses against the wall).

I agree with others that you probably won't find a disc specifically for this shot, and should use something you already have to play this hole in the future.

I've played this course many time over the past couple of years and I agree that the best play for a look at birdie is to split that skinny gap in front of the teepad. Like you I am also throwing a FH up the gap on that hole, but with a Pig. Once you hit the gap there isn't much to get in the way of your shot.

How often does your DD skip away from the basket? #4 at Pondo is a pretty short shot, and I'd imagine that you should throw a midrange or putter instead for better results. Maybe try out the Cro] since you like them, but you really don't need much power to get a Pig in the circle on 4.

The skip is definitely taking me to the edge or outside the circle on the putt. I do love muh pigs. I'm coming to realize I need to dial in a putter or mid flick as well as I can laser that DD2.

It's also not *just* about that hole, but more that this seems a skillset worth exploring.

The bottom line is that the accuracy control is really heightened on this narrow gap--so the key is comfort with whatever disc. I really need to be confident with the disc, the way it feels. I need to develop that with a lower speed disc. I know those piggos can bear the torque.

I'm also still curious about a Pilot or Compass for the same kind of pure, wings-level FH laser shot.

I'll be interested in how the compass works for you.

I've been looking for a nice stable beadless mid to use for forehand shots. I bag a zone now, and from time to time will add a star caiman for certain courses. A buddy had a compass he let me toss a few times and I really liked the flight.

If you like the speed and distance of a Harp/zone, but want a straight flight with almost zero fade, the XT Bullfrogs are nice. Whenever I don't want the fade at the finish, I flick them, and they grab a hold of any vegetation with very little ground play. They also make for a nice windy day putter- pretty much a brick.

Update, resolution of sorts:

I went to the local shop and picked up some plastic...

e8304492619e33a3b459da08d8328152.jpg

I played a round using these 5 and also did some fieldsies.

Kaxe is my new bff.

Compass is a nice neutral glidey mid that is great FH or BH.

Wasp is nice, a stable buzz, but I won't be throwing it. I wish I would have bought another DD2 instead (oops). High quality disc, maybe I'll change my mind. I've thrown a lot of Buzzz and bag a Meteor.

Bullfrog was surprising. I like the feel in the hand but the flight has it earning a spot in the bag. It does something slightly different and it's hard to explain. It's like a Pig that hunts out neutral but has a vague anti-fade to its fade.

Berg reminds me a lot of my seriously beat-up Banger, but doesn't fly as far by about 10%. What a cool disc.

These recommendations (Berg I just got on a whim) were all solid because they are each are capable of a high-torque laser shot that lands generally flat.

On a particular hold at my local course I told myself to pretend the disc I was about to throw was my DD2. 'Just execute exactly as you would with the DD2.' What I discovered is that either (a) I'm naturally throwing my DD2 on hyzer, or (b) these mids are too flippy for the energy used. There is clearly an archer/arrow aspect to it. But I trust that DD2 shot like a sniper trusts a favorite rifle. I hope you can relate--there's an ergonomic aspect to this problem. I have to do something slightly different with one of these mids/putters in my hand and with my throw.

Maybe. Idk. This whole affair is honestly confusing, but I'm looking forward to figuring it out some more.

Super impressed with that Kaxe tho!!

Nice!
Welcome to the angry Bird Fan Club [emoji16]
I'm happy you found some great new discs for yourself (been following the thread since the topic is interesting, now it has a real "story" to it:)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Nice picks. Kaxe or Compass are great for that shot. I'd go stable Comet or beat Quake, nose up on a low RHFH hyzer flip through the middle gap.

I'd love to know more about Comet and Quake.

Today I played a practice at the local, just trying to find a secondary RHFH shot like my DD2 shot.

I am so dialed with that DD2 on a FH. It's the only disc in my arsenal for which I have that confidence in a highly constrained shot where missing a spatial window essentially means 1-2 stroke penalty to score.

I'd like to develop that with another disc that doesn't skip.

I have been messing with these discs I just bought, ones I own.

I am beating up the Kaxe. I love the way it feels. It has a fundamentally sound feel and flight to it.

I'm kind of giving up on the Bullfrog for now. That might be wrong. I love the flight, but can't nail it.

I really have a lot of confidence in the Compass. Feel like I need to really explore this one much more.

Kaxe is in a weird spot, if I load it hard or in strong wind, it will submit and fail. It's no Firebird (it's not billed as one). No wind and mid-load, it has a predictable but not overbearing fade. It will skip like a driver, but it's much less. It's kind of like a Buzzz tbh in many ways but feels a bit better in the hand.

I want to be able to flick one of these mids or putters on spatially contested holes, have it fly like a laser.

In time it might be that Kaxe (K3 is already beating in a bit), but next I'm going to give the Compass a long trial.

It might end up being the esp Buzzz that I run hot and cold on.

I would recommend one of the new Ledgestone 2021 CryZtal Stings. It is incredible for hyzer flips that go far, turn just the right amount, and finish soft, straight on the line. I was looking for a true understable fairway driver after finding the TL and F5 to still have too much fade. It's been pretty incredible, sometimes I turn it over too much, but it is controllable with hyzer.

Latest posts