• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Need a torque-bearing FH disc that finishes straight

hawgdriver

Eagle Member
There's this shot I have to make, it's a tight-gap forehand that needs to hit the gap and go about 210' with a slight downhill finish. What I'm throwing now that has the best results is a moderately worn DD2 (I think, it's factory 2d I found and love).

The problem is that the disc fades and sometimes skips, you know, like pretty much every driver ever.

So I got to thinking it would be great if I had a disc that was the same out of the hand but finished with no fade.

My most thrown disc is a Banger GT in Jawbreaker plastic. It actually behaves exactly like I describe--if I throw it on hyzer it seems to flip up and just ignore the hyzer, going right where I threw it. If I put it on some anny, it thinks about it but isn't totally convinced. It's hard to describe--it's just this slug that is very stubborn and I love it for that if I need a straight shot within about 275-300. It seems to have this negative feedback loop regarding the angle it was throw on.

The reason I don't just use this disc is because: 1) comfort/feel, and 2) torque bearing inadequacy. I want a driver-type rim like the DD2 or Destroyer or Nuke, Ballista, etc. Also, if I was to throw my Banger through this FH gap, it would too often get wonky from general FH torque.

So is there anything like this? Something that is high-torque stable like a Destroyer or DD2 but doesn't dramatically precess (fade) at the end of flight? The reason I throw the DD2 is because it is the least-hard-fadey stable driver I have.

Basically I want a stable, high-torque bearing driver shape that finishes like a mega-inertia putter.

Hope this makes sense, and thanks for any ideas.

not sure it exists

for this shot youre describing i use a beat to hell pdd however they dont make these anymoar

maybe a beat star wraith or a krait might work

odd answer but however if you want something that hits and sticks you could beat on a pro d drone which i believe loses its fade and not the hss

at 210 and downhill why are you throwing a driver

It's 210 feet downhill? You might not need a wide rim driver - especially if you don't want skip. What mids do you have? Fairways? Do you have something like a 5 | x | 0 | 2 (Emac Truth, M2, Vector, Shark3, etc)? Or a 7 |x | 0 | 1 (TL3, TL)?

or a krait might work

The DD2 I'm throwing is almost exactly like a Krait I think.

210' downhill why driver?

It's hard to explain--it's a very, very tight gap but I feel very confident with my FH accuracy if it's not full send. I would have thought the hole was longer than 210' and it might be--it's a private course with unreliable measurements. Pretty much everyone goes on another line but I just leveled up my FH and I'm using it on this crazy tight gap that no one throws. What I know is that I have to give it a decent-energy rip but not full send. The tunnel is tight so it needs to ride super straight, it's less about the distance than the shape. You had to be there...

I'd throw something like a Jawbreaker Zone, Shoft Harp or Soft Tactic. They still will fade but shouldn't skip as much.

If you throw an overstable driver(except maybe the Ogopogo) it's going to skip most of the time.

It's 210 feet downhill? You might not need a wide rim driver - especially if you don't want skip. What mids do you have? Fairways? Do you have something like a 5 | x | 0 | 2 (Emac Truth, M2, Vector, Shark3, etc)? Or a 7 |x | 0 | 1 (TL3, TL)?

It's slight downhill--actually undulating (uphill then downhill) and you can't see the basket. It's the downhill finish that is the issue--errors are exacerbated.

I'm a huge fan of the Buzzz or Cro as a mid. Actually Meteor and Mako3 are the two that I bag. I have thrown Shark, Vector, Truth a lot and consider them to be very similar discs, although Shark-bot on a FH seems to me like it would flip hard.

If the 210' seems short (it seems short to me as I think this through) imagine that it's 275'. I have to put enough torque on it so that it rides bullet straight and with those mids I think it would require really exact angle control to keep it from flipping.

I bet I could practice and learn to throw my Banger (huge rim disparity) but man it would be great to throw that DD2 and it flew like a DD2 out of my hand and like a Banger at the end.

It's slight downhill--actually undulating (uphill then downhill) and you can't see the basket. It's the downhill finish that is the issue--errors are exacerbated.

I'm a huge fan of the Buzzz or Cro as a mid. Actually Meteor and Mako3 are the two that I bag. I have thrown Shark, Vector, Truth a lot and consider them to be very similar discs, although Shark-bot on a FH seems to me like it would flip hard.

If the 210' seems short (it seems short to me as I think this through) imagine that it's 275'. I have to put enough torque on it so that it rides bullet straight and with those mids I think it would require really exact angle control to keep it from flipping.

I bet I could practice and learn to throw my Banger (huge rim disparity) but man it would be great to throw that DD2 and it flew like a DD2 out of my hand and like a Banger at the end.

meet in the middle and throw a mid

I'd throw something like a Jawbreaker Zone, Shoft Harp or Soft Tactic. They still will fade but shouldn't skip as much..

I love these discs too. I'm throwing piggsters these days but heck, they are basically all Harp-likes in my mind and it's a matter of nuance. I might be throwing a Zone but I lost mine (doh) and never got to know if it was better than a Piglet.

Why am I not throwing my Pig? Shot shape. I need an absolute sniper bullet for the first 175' or so. I'd have to go pretty close to full send to get that from a Harp-like. Right?

I don't know for sure--I'll do some field work and see how it plays out (omg Ules stahp) with these putters/mids.

What I do know is that my Banger GT in Jawbreaker is an inertial anomaly--discs are supposed to fade at the end and it just.... *doesn't*

meet in the middle and throw a mid

I think a Cro or Buzzz would be pretty close, but for me if I use the same torque loading on those discs they would flip slight left unless I get the angle juuuuust right, and I want to go easy mode on angle control.

I am ok with the answer that such a disc doesn't exist--that's actually what I expect--but I had to ask!! :D

I use a very beat-in K3 Kaxe for that shot, really like it. They develop a really slow, torque-resistant turn and go dead straight on a FH hyzerflip.
I'm not sure on the underlying physics, but some molds turn very predictably on full throws. For my sidearm, K3 Kaxes and BT Hard Maidens are providing that

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

A Streamline Trace is torque resistant with less fade than the destroyer types. It will fit your shot well. Unless you also need turn. It won't turn at all with 275' power.

If you want to stick with a driver here, try a premium plastic FD forehand.

Otherwise, a Z Wasp comes to mind as a nice FH mid. Or strangely a Pine if you can find one!!

Maybe even an Envy.

I love these discs too. I'm throwing piggsters these days but heck, they are basically all Harp-likes in my mind and it's a matter of nuance. I might be throwing a Zone but I lost mine (doh) and never got to know if it was better than a Piglet.

Why am I not throwing my Pig? Shot shape. I need an absolute sniper bullet for the first 175' or so. I'd have to go pretty close to full send to get that from a Harp-like. Right?

I don't know for sure--I'll do some field work and see how it plays out (omg Ules stahp) with these putters/mids.

What I do know is that my Banger GT in Jawbreaker is an inertial anomaly--discs are supposed to fade at the end and it just.... *doesn't*

What course is it? I'd love to see a pic to see what the actual shape is.

I'm a big fan of the DX Rhyno, as long as you have a clean, snappy release, you can hit them hard and they just float to the target drop with minimal fade. You can watch Barsby in pretty much every tourney he plays and see the potential of the DX Rhyno

Z Wasp is the first disc that pops into my head... if you already have a like a buzzz but need just a little bit more resistance but a very similar disc that's a wasp for sure.

But Alexplz also had a good suggestion with an Envy, kind of autocorrect to straight with a minimal amount of anhyzer or hyzer, just a good lazer disc with low fade on a good FH. Or BH

If you're wanting to minimize skip you're going to need to move to a slower disc. Anything fast with a wide wing is going to skip when it slows down, and anything torque resistant will have a fairly strong fade to it.

Two different ways to go about it though, the one closest to what you're looking for probably is taking something like a teebird or thunderbird and beating it up, or go find a used one somewhere. A lot of straight to slight fade discs will retain most of their high speed stability and the fade mellows out after they beat in. So you'll eventually have a disc you can throw fairly hard that will lock onto laser beam lines.

The other option would be to learn a forehand hyzerflip with something a bit understable. Leopard3 is awesome for this…put it on a baby hyzer release angle, throw it smooth and watch it pop to flat and ride a straight line. I'd say start here with a slower disc so you'll be forced to throw it smooth as opposed to a sidewinder or roadrunner.

I'm not sure on the underlying physics, but some molds turn very predictably on full throws.

It's fascinating! I don't understand it either, and I was a math/physics major at a top engineering school.

It seems like FH shots make discs turn/flip more (my experience), and I wonder why. The throw transfers momentum from the body into the disc as linear and angular momentum. Maybe FH and BH have different proportions? As in, FH has more spin rpm than BH? Or less? Not sure.

Then you have the rate at which that momentum decays. The wind resistance always eats up the forward velocity faster than rotational fluid friction of air eats up the disc's rotational rate, so you have disc behavior during the high-speed (linear speed) regime of flight and disc behavior during the slow-speed regime.

I just looked for some insight and found Danny Lindahl's youtube segment on the physics of disc golf and it's a worthwhile watch. There's still a *TON* that is unclear to me...and I guess I don't need to know it if all I want is to find a disc that does driver thangs out of the hand and putter thangs toward the basket...

There's probably the thread for the physics of flight for continuing down this rabbit hole, maybe I'll find that. :)

In the meantime I'm going to do some fieldwork and mess around with this shot shape and different discs. I'll report back... ;)

Latest posts