• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag company LBBAGS

I recently got an Octohaul (pretty much the antithesis of your "small bag" request), BUT it carries like a dream. It honestly carries virtually the same with 30 discs as it does with 20. I'm thoroughly impressed with the comfort of this bag, and I've carried almost everything out there.

All that to say, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Octothorp carried 16 discs quite suitably for you. I doubt that's the solution you're looking for, but in my eyes it would fit all your requests quite well.

I often carry 16 or so in my Octothorpe. They can get a little bouncy with all that empty space, but not in a problematic way. they just make some noise. So I stuff my soft-sided cooler in the main compartment and it snugs them right up.

Octos just carry so damn nicely. I can fit 21 comfortably when I want that many (without dipping into the side pockets) or I cn carry 15ish, without any hassle.

I'm glad that there are lot of options in the backpack area, but many of them are in the 20-35 disc range. I'd love to see what Pound can do. I want space for ~16 discs, Putter pocket(s) and additional storage for food and clothing - Like a more versatile Grip C14. Because they are a small company, I won't start whining...yet :)

16 total, or 16 in the main storage area?
How many drivers vs mids vs putters.
Because 16 discs is probably right in the Octothorpe neighborhood

16 total, or 16 in the main storage area?

The Octo is too big to be a small/medium backpack. Its a great bag, but is designed for 20-30

I usually carry 3-4 putters, 2-3 mids and 5-8 drivers. Most rounds I play with 12 discs

Right now in the main compartment I have

warden | zone | zone | buzzz | buzzz | river | river | teebird | PD | PD | Havoc | Havoc | PDx | PD2 | PD2 | PD2 | King | King

and there is no jostling/sound whenever I walk. I also have 4 putters in the top pockets. both side pockets spanning the height of the bag are empty as well as the larger side pouch that can hold discs.

I finally broke down and ordered an Octothorpe for myself. Currently on sale for only $269 at pounddiscgolf.com
Super excited for it to show up in the mail!

It feels odd that yesterday may have been my last round with the old battlehorse Flak3. I liked that pack, but after a few seasons it's showing moderate wear and quite a bit of sagging. I'm def looking forward to the improved ergonomics; having tried on a friend's Octo I can say that they definitely hold the weight better.

In other news, yesterday I saw the CD Octohaul in person. That pack is huuuge! Looks like it could hold 40+ discs, or possibly an entire family of raccoons. Crazy to think that the Nybo version has even more storage. Despite the large size the Octohaul looked manageable and very well thought out. As with all Pound bags, the quality of construction is top-notch and the thing seemed nigh indestructible.

Pound Octothorpe Review

Well how is life with the Octothorpe ?
I've played a handful of rounds with the Octothrope and it's been great so far.

PROS:

+ Lots of storage. Actually still figuring out how to best utilize the various pockets. The tall side compartments are very roomy; I've been using one side to store rolled up extra layers and the other for a stack of 12oz beverage cans. Currently holding 9 drivers/5mids/5 putters, could easily hold more discs if I felt so inclined. Plenty of smaller pockets to hold scorecards, minis, pencils, and whatever else you need to keep organized. There's an umbrella holder, if you're into that. There's a bungee strap for a folding stool, if that's your jam.

+ Carries very well. The weight is held close to your body and doesn't swing around much. It's surprising how much this saves on fatigue in your shoulders and back, and even legs when hiking in technical terrain. The Octo feels very form fitting, especially compared to my previous backpack (Flak3) that feels much boxier. Felt comfortable to wear even when loaded with full compliment of discs, 2L of water, various bonus beverages, spare layers, and other incidentals.

+ Hydration pack compatibility is very well thought through and user friendly. The dedicated hydration pocket is located perfectly (high in the pack, close to the back, centered) which optimizes a number of factors: hydraulics, weight distribution, and hose routing. It's just a night-and-day difference compared with when I used to carry bulky, rigid 1L water bottles. I could probably write a long post about just this feature, but I feel like the point is made.

+ Materials and craftsmanship are top-notch. All parts seem to fit together naturally into a clean, concise package. Zippers are of very high quality; I've actually gotten a number of zipper compliments. Overall it's just a satisfying piece of gear to own & use.

CONS:

- Can tip over somewhat easily. It's not a huge hassle, but something to think about when you set the bag down on an uneven surface.

- Chest strap can get in the way when putting the pack on. It's a minor detail, but I pick up the pack much more frequently than I use the chest strap, so the nuisance seems unjustifiable.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

* The neon green color is seriously bright. Like, pound-you-in-the-eyeballs bright. The pictures online don't really do it justice unless you have your screen settings jacked way up.

* I'm not a big fan of the "quiver" style putter storage. (This is just a personal preference thing; I know that a lot of backpacks have the quiver and a lot of people like that feature.) I think I'm going to build a small frame w/ mini holder to fit in the lower side pocket on holder's left. That would mimic the putter access from my Flak3, which I love. That putter/mini solution will free up the quiver pocket for keys, sunglasses, etc.

* I know that for a lot of people, Cost would be a big factor in the "Cons" category. However, based on the bulletproof warranty that comes standard with all Pound bags, I think the cost is easily justified. In the past 5 years, I've pretty well thrashed 2 bag setups that had a combined cost roughly equal to the Octothrope. Seems like the Octo will last me at least 5 years (probably without needing the warranty in that timeframe) so in terms of cost-per-use I feel like I'm coming out ahead. And that's not even taking into account that the Pound bag has better features and is more user friendly than my previous packs.

Last edited:
I've played a handful of rounds with the Octothrope and it's been great so far.

PROS:

+ Lots of storage. Actually still figuring out how to best utilize the various pockets. The tall side compartments are very roomy; I've been using one side to store rolled up extra layers and the other for a stack of 12oz beverage cans. Currently holding 9 drivers/5mids/5 putters, could easily hold more discs if I felt so inclined. Plenty of smaller pockets to hold scorecards, minis, pencils, and whatever else you need to keep organized. There's an umbrella holder, if you're into that. There's a bungee strap for a folding stool, if that's your jam.

+ Carries very well. The weight is held close to your body and doesn't swing around much. It's surprising how much this saves on fatigue in your shoulders and back, and even legs when hiking in technical terrain. The Octo feels very form fitting, especially compared to my previous backpack (Flak3) that feels much boxier. Felt comfortable to wear even when loaded with full compliment of discs, 2L of water, various bonus beverages, spare layers, and other incidentals.

+ Hydration pack compatibility is very well thought through and user friendly. The dedicated hydration pocket is located perfectly (high in the pack, close to the back, centered) which optimizes a number of factors: hydraulics, weight distribution, and hose routing. It's just a night-and-day difference compared with when I used to carry bulky, rigid 1L water bottles. I could probably write a long post about just this feature, but I feel like the point is made.

+ Materials and craftsmanship are top-notch. All parts seem to fit together naturally into a clean, concise package. Zippers are of very high quality; I've actually gotten a number of zipper compliments. Overall it's just a satisfying piece of gear to own & use.

CONS:

- Can tip over somewhat easily. It's not a huge hassle, but something to think about when you set the bag down on an uneven surface.

- Chest strap can get in the way when putting the pack on. It's a minor detail, but I pick up the pack much more frequently than I use the chest strap, so the nuisance seems unjustifiable.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

* The neon green color is seriously bright. Like, pound-you-in-the-eyeballs bright. The pictures online don't really do it justice unless you have your screen settings jacked way up.

* I'm not a big fan of the "quiver" style putter storage. (This is just a personal preference thing; I know that a lot of backpacks have the quiver and a lot of people like that feature.) I think I'm going to build a small frame w/ mini holder to fit in the lower side pocket on holder's left. That would mimic the putter access from my Flak3, which I love. That putter/mini solution will free up the quiver pocket for keys, sunglasses, etc.

* I know that for a lot of people, Cost would be a big factor in the "Cons" category. However, based on the bulletproof warranty that comes standard with all Pound bags, I think the cost is easily justified. In the past 5 years, I've pretty well thrashed 2 bag setups that had a combined cost roughly equal to the Octothrope. Seems like the Octo will last me at least 5 years (probably without needing the warranty in that timeframe) so in terms of cost-per-use I feel like I'm coming out ahead. And that's not even taking into account that the Pound bag has better features and is more user friendly than my previous packs.

Levi released this for the bigger zipper pocket to add more organization and a place to put more bottles or cans while having them open. I picked one up from Levi when I was having him fix my bag.

I was developing small holes in the bottom material of my bag. They weren't caused from friction but from the material constantly folding on itself on the seam where the bottom and back meet. I emailed Levi and since I live so close, I met up with him in Portland. He swapped out the bottom of my bag for me (which wasn't actually torn through all the way), added the new D-ring towel attachments, and made me some velcro straps to roll my shoulder strap webbing up and hold it into place for me since they were so long. He showed me the new bags and his work area and we chatted for the 20 minutes or so to do all that for me. I definitely owe him a beer. There are definitely some cool things coming out from Pound in the near future!

Levi released this for the bigger zipper pocket to add more organization and a place to put more bottles or cans while having them open. I picked one up from Levi when I was having him fix my bag.

I was developing small holes in the bottom material of my bag. They weren't caused from friction but from the material constantly folding on itself on the seam where the bottom and back meet. I emailed Levi and since I live so close, I met up with him in Portland. He swapped out the bottom of my bag for me (which wasn't actually torn through all the way), added the new D-ring towel attachments, and made me some velcro straps to roll my shoulder strap webbing up and hold it into place for me since they were so long. He showed me the new bags and his work area and we chatted for the 20 minutes or so to do all that for me. I definitely owe him a beer. There are definitely some cool things coming out from Pound in the near future!

That pocket insert might be just what I need, thanks for the tip! The first time I saw those I thought it was just for the Octohaul...product is clearly called the Octothorpe Insert, tho. It's surprising how often reading is useful :doh:

I also heard from a friend that I can rearrange/remove the chest strap myself. I'll have to look into that this evening.

Does anybody have a recommendation on what size umbrella fits in the umbrella holder the best? been looking around but wanted to see what others have found to be the most comfortable for this bag.

Thanks!

Anyone using the Octothorpe with the Zuca backpack cart? I'd love to see some pics and hear some feedback.

My full size Zuca doesn't fit in the trunk of my new car so I'm looking at options.

Anyone using the Octothorpe with the Zuca backpack cart? I'd love to see some pics and hear some feedback.

That's the combo I'm considering, too, but the listed measurements of each suggest it would be a tight fit. I'd love to hear from folks that have had a chance to test the fit.

That's the combo I'm considering, too, but the listed measurements of each suggest it would be a tight fit. I'd love to hear from folks that have had a chance to test the fit.

Not me personally, but a buddy of mine is using the Octo with his Zuca BP cart. Seems to fit well, I'll see if he has any pictures.

Does anybody have a recommendation on what size umbrella fits in the umbrella holder the best? been looking around but wanted to see what others have found to be the most comfortable for this bag.

Thanks!

I bought a 2-pack of Nautica umbrellas from BJ's and the larger (60" I believe) fits very well.

My full size Zuca doesn't fit in the trunk of my new car so I'm looking at options.

It fits. It gets pretty tight around the side pockets but you can still fit a little bit of stuff in there. You might be able to stuff a light hoodie in one of the bigger side pockets but not much more. I carry my keys on one side and a baseball, bug spray, and cell phone on the other. The bag is the right height for the cart so that is nice.

I remember seeing the Octo/Zuca combo on FB.

Latest posts