• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY(ish) Bag

lxdawg25

Par Member
So I spent a decent bit of time around here looking, and doing my research on the streets and today I found it. This is a Louisville Slugger baseball bag which can be found at academy for $40. It has an expanding lower pocket for cleats I would guess, that has enough room to hold 15 putters/mid ranges. The Upper pocket/main compartment also has just as much room to go side to side, plus more room vertically. I find this to be the most comfortable of almost all the bags I tried (I'm pretty large 6'2" 260) as most of them were very small on my back. It doesn't have the obvious water bottle holder but I'm gonna get a camel pak in it which should solve that problem easily. Tomorrow, I will be putting together a PVC holder for it, and will put more pictures up when that is taken care of. If this doesn't do it for you I've found some pretty decent hiking packs at Wal-Mart, this was just the best option I found, and so far I'm uber happy.:thmbup:
DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

Not knocking your idea, just curious as to why you and all the DIYers repurpose these bags. It seems that you spend around $50 (40 for the bag and maybe 10 ish for PVC) for a bag that will work for disc golf when you can spend about $50 to get a bag that is designed for disc golf. I like the creativity, I am just more curious why you don't get a real DG bag?

I am actually thinking of making my own simple pull cart when I can find the right parts. I think I can make one for cheaper than the ones I have seen that are designed for DG.

Well, by a "real DG bag" do you mean like a fade bag, or an innova bag? or do you mean a Grip bag (200+$) or a golf mahal or revo/dualpack? ($$$$) I personally carry a fade tourney bag, and am getting tired of using quad straps and have been more an more tempted to ditch it for a backpack style bag, but the DG produced ones are all pretty expensive for me, so the next logical step would be to see what you can do yourself, and for the most part people on here have done well enough at adapting packs made for other purposes to suit their DG needs. I'm personally more interested in trying out the Bass Pro Shop bag, as it seems the perfect size/space for me.

Honestly for me I have been using a fade crunch bag and I always just had 1 or 2 discs that I wanted to carry around that I did not have space for. So I wrote out a list of all the features I wanted in a bag. Most bigger size bag of any quality are still in the $80 range and you have to buy quad straps for them. I don't like how those sit on your back anyway. I had in my mind that the Grip Bag was the way to go. This weekend I got to see one in person for the first time and they are amazing. But when it came down to $200 and I will still spend a year just waiting for it to get to me, this $40 bag if nothing else will last me while I save $200 and sit and wait. And by the time all that happens I'm rather positive that I'd rather just keep using this bag and save my monies.

Not knocking your idea, just curious as to why you and all the DIYers repurpose these bags. It seems that you spend around $50 (40 for the bag and maybe 10 ish for PVC) for a bag that will work for disc golf when you can spend about $50 to get a bag that is designed for disc golf. I like the creativity, I am just more curious why you don't get a real DG bag?

I am actually thinking of making my own simple pull cart when I can find the right parts. I think I can make one for cheaper than the ones I have seen that are designed for DG.

I have never seen the backpack bags for DG sold for less than $100. I would like a link for the one that sells for $50.

I have never seen the backpack bags for DG sold for less than $100. I would like a link for the one that sells for $50.

Same for me too... i'd spend $50 for a backpack style dg bag...but $200 is not in my budget currently. The Louisville Slugger bag is pretty nice for $40, I may need to get me one from Santa this year.

$25 - Ecko Backpack from Marshall's... works great and has so many extra spaces! F the DG backpacks out there they are a rip off and not even that great of quality. Nice find!

You should try a Lat64 pro bag.It will be cheaper and it is a real disc golf bag..

I would agree that you can't find a backpack style bag for less than $100 (maybe even less than $150??).

Anyways, I was just curious why the OP was repurposing a bag rather than buying a DG bag. I got my answer...he wanted a backpack style for less money. I would do the same if I wasn't keen on spending $200 for a bag.

if the DG bags were actually worth the money than I could see it but as of now none of them really offer anything special. Now if one was full Kevlar with a rubber liner, super padded, triple stitched etc I could see paying some big money but seems like they all have their design issues and the nice custom ones you cant even get right away.

This is a bag i made a few days ago works great not sure on the price since it was a bag i already had from a while back and already had pvc

Attachments

• dg bag.jpg
    dg bag.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 311746_2536396287189_1172058615_33025693_444704263_n.jpg
    311746_2536396287189_1172058615_33025693_444704263_n.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
On the OP's slugger bag - one thing I'd mod right away. I'd add a simple horizontal "retaining" element to help the putter stay in that oblique shaped pocket of you're going to use it for that as shown in the photos.

A short section of black strap elastic or cording should do the trick. I'd be disappointed to start seeing your putter slip out each time you leaned to the left, or while getting it on your shoulders.

Latest posts