• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

new driver

You don't know the point of the beto/hammer drills do you? They are to teach you how to hit it, and then build your form around the hit.

What you do/described is the Swedish style of throwing, and although it emphasis on leverage more that bent arm or straight reach back does, it uses the same basic concepts that the right pec drills attempt to teach: wrist extension, late acceleration etc.

Your throw is a different style of throwing, but it uses much of the same mechanics as a straight reachback/bent elbow throw.

In short: your throw is basically the same as a bent elbow/straight reachback throw. The power base is different, Swedish is leverage, bent arm/straight reachback is kinetic linking.

The way Blake t tries to teach is supposed to be as easy as possible, so you can learn to hit it and then build your form around that feeling.

Really, dude? A throw has a lot more to do with than just your arm. What I said was VERY vague. You don't have to keep spouting off the same things over and over again in an argument, I've already read it. Tell you what, I'll try and get a video of me throwing backhand up just for you. Then you all can have a laugh about the guy that doesn't throw like Beto does.

Really, dude? A throw has a lot more to do with than just your arm. What I said was VERY vague. You don't have to keep spouting off the same things over and over again in an argument, I've already read it. Tell you what, I'll try and get a video of me throwing backhand up just for you. Then you all can have a laugh about the guy that doesn't throw like Beto does.

Are you thick or just pretending?

Then you all can have a laugh about the guy that doesn't throw like Beto does.

I think the crucial point is that there just aren't that many other great instructional methods out there. The DGR method does not mean you have to use a bent elbow American style throw, but it's the way Beto throws, so it's the only way that was worth recording and publishing for the masses. The underlying principles are transferable, but you have to do a little more reading over at DGR to understand what those principles really are, the video does not accurately capture the essence of the method.

Are you thick or just pretending?

What am I being thick about you moron? You're literally telling me how I throw when all I said about my throw was my arm doesn't bend much. Don't take that and say you know exactly what my throw looks like, get real.

but it's the way Beto throws, so it's the only way that was worth recording and publishing for the masses.
Are you being sarcastic? Really, I have no idea if you are or not.

The underlying principles are transferable, but you have to do a little more reading over at DGR to understand what those principles really are

Why would I read up on a throw I'm not going to use?

What am I being thick about you moron? You're literally telling me how I throw when all I said about my throw was my arm doesn't bend much. Don't take that and say you know exactly what my throw looks like, get real.

I thought by saying you throw with a straight arm you were throwing with Swedish style. That is really the only way to throw effectively with a straight arm.

Because the principals of his thow apply to yours.

What's happening in the last 12" of the throw of people who throw >450' is the exact same same thing. The way Blake teaches how to throw is supposed to teach you how to hit it the easiest. I sound like a broken record with that last point.

I thought by saying you throw with a straight arm you were throwing with Swedish style. That is really the only way to throw effectively with a straight arm.

What's happening in the last 12" of the throw of people who throw >450' is the exact same same thing. The way Blake teaches how to throw is supposed to teach you how to hit it the easiest. I sound like a broken record with that last point.

I need to reword that bottom paragraph.

No matter what style of throwing, the things happening in the last 12" of the throw are what matter. Everything else is just timing and body positions to get you there. The way Blake teaches Is supposed to be the easiest way to get to that last 12" (the hit) When you find it, you can change your form accordingly

Because you've put SO much time in trying/experimenting with other throws, right? Tell the 1000 rated player that taught me my throw that he's not throwing effectively. Your way is not the only right way. That's what you're refusing to understand. It may be easier for you or some other people, but not for everyone.

Who is this Blake feller? Like I said before, people have different backgrounds in sports, what they're comfortable with and what they prefer. What might work and be easy for one person might not work with another. I sound like a broken record...

So, I just want to say, the Beato/Blake drills are great learning tools, but I AM with bergdawg that they aren't the end all be all to learning techniques. I've personally seen a player from this site who breaks 450' with ease who throws with virtually none of the "accepted" techniques swedish or american. He breaks all the rules, throws with OAT, and a crazy style I haven't seen anywhere else, but he does so consistently, and accurately. He's actually scraping 500'.

Matrix2113, craziest throwing style ever, but it works.

Funny I just said this 2 days ago in another thread:

sidewinder22 said:
I don't think anyone is saying the Beto vid is the end all, be all, but if you didn't learn anything from it, then you didn't really listen. As Bruce Lee would say, be formless, study all forms and make your own form.

Hey man; some people learn to swim when you just throw them in the water. Others just drown. So you throw the disc and some may just learn how to hit it. You dig? The ones drowning might want to put on a life jacket.

(I have no idea what my point is. just felt like some random BS)

I think a lot of people are missing the point of the Beato vids. Regardless of what throwing style you use, there is value in the principle of building your throw from the hit backward to get a good feel for the hit. I think that this is all the "Pro-Beato" folks are trying to say, but I could be wrong.

Why are you responding to this thread at all? Your first reply, "Nope", was somehow the most on point constructive thing you've said.

Since then you've done nothing but argue with people and call into question throwing techniques and distances without contributing anything. If you enjoy spending your time in a completely fruitless exercise in internet asshatery you may as well read up on some technique instead of just flaming randoms and regulars in the technique forum and marginalizing regular dudes who put together a brief youtube video (AND MORE IMPROTANTLY fostered a ton of intelligent discussion on the other message board) in an attempt to help people.

Why are you responding to this thread at all? Your first reply, "Nope", was somehow the most on point constructive thing you've said.

Since then you've done nothing but argue with people and call into question throwing techniques and distances without contributing anything. If you enjoy spending your time in a completely fruitless exercise in internet asshatery you may as well read up on some technique instead of just flaming randoms and regulars in the technique forum and marginalizing regular dudes who put together a brief youtube video (AND MORE IMPROTANTLY fostered a ton of intelligent discussion on the other message board) in an attempt to help people.

:thmbup:

Latest posts