• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New guy from Norway :)

podskiii

Par Member
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum and I'm from Norway in Europe. The reason why I decided to be a member of this forum, instead of a Norwegian forum is because there is not much activity going on there, and I want to advance as fast as I can. It seem like everytime I google something, I end up in this forum anyways.

A little bit about myself, I'm 29 years old and got hooked on Discgolf in the start of July. From that point I played as much as I could, around 4 days a week, mostly at a few local courses. The course I have played the most, is a course with many technical holes, but with short distances and all of the holes are Par 3. The longest hole is 90m (295 feet) and most of the holes is ranging everywhere from 30m-90m (98feet – 295feet). I'm a RHBH dominant player, but I also throw a lot of forehand. It just depends on the situation. I throw further with a backhand however.

I'm only throwing standstill at the moment, I figured I wanted to have somewhat of a reasonable form before I start learning X-step. I've tried doing X-step a few times at a soccer field but I don't really get more distance compared to a standstill throw, the only factor is when I try out the X-step I get a lot of bad shots. I try to throw at 80% of my maximum power, whether I'm throwing a standstill or with X-step. Should I start with a "one step" run-up or do you guys recommend just starting with the x-step immediately? I can throw a Star Leopard (175g) pretty consistent at 80m-90m (262feet-295 feet).

There is another local course close to me, with a few par 5 and a few par 4 that I've tried out a few times and I kind like this course better nowadays. I recognized fast, that others with a X-step "run-up" can bite off way more distance than me. I also own a Star Destroyer (170g), but I recognized I don't have the arm to throw that yet, especially with no run-up and it just fade away for me and behave as a very overstable disc. I wonder if there is another distance driver that could be recommended for me, or if I'm just wasting money buying a new one. I want to try and bite off a bit more distance as some of the holes are wide open.

In the bag at the moment I have this:

DX Aviar (175g – 2301)
I use this as a putter only.

XT Nova (170g - 2300)
I started using this as a throwing putter, but I really dislike having 0 fade, and I feel more inaccurate with this disc compared to others, I feel I get punished more if I don't release this with a perfect angle. Maybe that is a reason for using this disc more?

Westside Harp (173g - 4303)
I use this as my throwing putter and most of my upshots within 150 feet, I use this instead of my XT Nova and it gives me most of the time much better results. I have one with VIP plastic and one with BT Medium plastic. I also like using this for forehand throw.

DX ROC (175g)
This is a very beat up disc with a little fade in the end, I use this disc mostly in places where I throw tunnel shots.

Star Roc3 (180g – 5403)
This is the disc I throw when I don't use my harps. To be honest I'm not using this disc a lot.

Star Leopard (65-22)
I have 3 different disc, two disc are 175g and one disc is 165g. I bought 3 of this disc because when I do field practise, I want to be able to throw a few disc before I start picking them up. At the course I've mostly used one particular leopard. Do you guys wear them down at the same time or do you save the others until the main driver wear down? I use mostly this disc for anhyzer shots and tunnel shots.

Champion Teebird (175g – 7502)
I tend to use this disc in more open spaces, instead of the leopard, I feel I can throw the leopard further, but I'm not sure.

Champion Firebird (175g – 9304) and Gstar Firebird (165g – 9304).
I use this disc a lot, mostly because of the fade at the local shortie course which is very technical. I don't find this disc very useful at my other course, mostly because I don't throw it as far as my leopard and biting off more distance is more important on the "long course". I also have 165g firebird that I mostly use for RHFH throw.

Star Destroyer (170g)
I bought this just to try it out, I haven't used this in a while but when I last checked, I didn't really throw this further. I know I'm not good enough to throw this, I just wanted to try it out.

My main question is, should I start with a one step run-up while I'm trying to learn X-step? Or should I just start with the X-step?

The other question I have, should I just keep going with my Leopard/Teebird or will I get more distance with a driver? I've been looking a bit at the Star Orc, but I don't really want to spend money if it won't get me more distance, I have also been looking at a Thunderbird. I guess I can have them for later anyways.

When you guys have more than one disc of the same type and mold, do you guys wear them all down at the same time or do you guys save them for later?

Thanks for all feedback.

I'm a beginner myself, but here goes: Regarding the X-step, I would recommend you start doing an X-step when doing field work (practice throws), but when you are playing a round, go with whatever is most consistent - which currently sounds like your standstill shot. I think If you start doing the X-step more frequently, it will become natural within a few weeks.

I'm not throwing quite as far as you, but I found that I get a bit more distance from a Valkyrie than a Leopard. I consistently throw a Leopard about 225-240', with an occasional throw up to 250' or so. I can throw a Valkyrie 240-260', with an occasional throw out to 270'. So moving to a slightly higher speed disc might increase your distance. At least it did for me. Valkyrie (9 speed) is my farthest flying disc though. I've tried some 10-12 speed discs, but can't get them up to speed yet.

I don't have any advice about wearing in discs. I usually end up losing mine in the woods or the water before I get a chance to break them in :).

Please post some pics of disc golf courses in Norway. I have Norwegian ancestors and would like to visit some day.

If I could go back in time as a beginner, I would develop technique from a standstill and avoid the x step until much later in my development. I have quite a few bad habits and started strong arming my throws instead of building power from the legs and hips.

The less that you do with your body, the more you can focus on the important details and developing good habits.

PS - I'm a quarter Norwegian, and pretty much only opened your thread because of the title. Cheers!

I'm a beginner myself, but here goes: Regarding the X-step, I would recommend you start doing an X-step when doing field work (practice throws), but when you are playing a round, go with whatever is most consistent - which currently sounds like your standstill shot. I think If you start doing the X-step more frequently, it will become natural within a few weeks.
Please post some pics of disc golf courses in Norway. I have Norwegian ancestors and would like to visit some day.

Yes, I'm thinking the same regarding the X-step. I can't throw a standstill forever. I see most professional even do a "run-up" for short throws. I should probably do more field practise instead of being at the course all the time, and maybe log my distances so I actually notice the difference. My competition instinct is too strong when I'm playing with friends, which is why I don't use it at the course.

Sure, there is actually quite a few in my area. Around 8 courses within 30 min driving distance. I rotate between 3 courses for most part. Should I post in this thread or make a new thread? I also have some ancestors that migrated to USA, they mostly settled down in the Dakota/Minnesota area.

Thanks for the feedback :thmbup:

If I could go back in time as a beginner, I would develop technique from a standstill and avoid the x step until much later in my development. I have quite a few bad habits and started strong arming my throws instead of building power from the legs and hips.

The less that you do with your body, the more you can focus on the important details and developing good habits.

I second this. I'm a beginner myself, apart from some X-step experiments, I drove with a one-step all year. I'd say that it allowed me focusing on cleaner form. I couldn't focus on good reachback and nose-down at the same time when X-stepping, caring for foot alignment, balance and such. Sure, my distances aren't great (about 80m with Teebirds), but I believe X-stepping wouldn't be the most effective way to improve that. I think I can add the X-step later on easier than fixing other form problems then. Besides, you need to be able to throw well from a stand-still anyway, as second shots from the rough don't necessarily allow X-steps.

If you save some footwork variations, you can spend that time into practicing other techniques that provide more outcome for your game at that stage.

Sure, there is actually quite a few in my area. Around 8 courses within 30 min driving distance. I rotate between 3 courses for most part. Should I post in this thread or make a new thread? I also have some ancestors that migrated to USA, they mostly settled down in the Dakota/Minnesota area.

Thanks for the feedback :thmbup:

I grew up in MN myself. My grandmother was Norwegian. Last name Christiansen. She and several of her siblings lived in the southwestern part of MN (Clarkfield).

Welcome podskiii what part of Norway are you from? My family came from just north of Oystese. I still have lots of cousins there.

Hi and thanks :)

I'm from Bergen and I know Øystese, I think it should be around 1-1.5 hour drive away from me, I even think there is a discgolfpark there, but not positive though.

Latest posts