• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob BH Form Video for Critique

QTipPoker

Intro Post: Intro Post

I'm less than 1000 throws in, I'm sure.

Today I watched many Scott Stokely videos. I enjoyed them and was inspired to throw. He was coaching someone and had him just stand facing backwards and arm extended and then throw. So I did that.

Here's the video on Youtube

I noticed the consistency improvement immediately. Every disc (I threw putters, midrange, fairway) went about 200 to 240 feet and around 7/11 of them were in a 30 foot circle. Big improvement from scattered all over.

At the end I tried a few steps to an x step and I released anhyzer (on accident) on all of them.

Much appreciate any feedback/tips.

A few things:

1. You are not transferring weight to your front leg during either standstill or x-step throws. This is related to the issue in point #3. Try the one-leg drill, focusing on a smooth motion to weight the back foot before the reachback, then shifting weight to the front foot during the reachback/throw.

2. You are leaning backwards during the throw. It looks painful. Your upper body is completely vertical during the throw. That is the main reason you are releasing on anny.

3. You are turning early and stepping backwards towards the target during the x-step. Remember, the x-step is a SIDEWAYS movement whose purpose is to rotate the hips - "loading" away from the target. The rear foot

For help with points #2 and #3, take a look at the video below. Notice several things:

1. Knees and hips are bent to both maintain balance and to allow for hip movement during the run. You cant do this run standing straight up without compromising the movement.
2. Upper body stays perpendicular to the plant of motion. There is no turning your back towards the direction of travel.
3. Hips don't exactly align with our sport because it is a forwards motion, but take a look at the photo below. Look familiar? That position aligns almost exactly with a proper x-step. The only difference is that she is leaning the opposite way because she is traveling the opposite way. If she were throwing a disc, her CoG would be shift left in the photo a bit, but otherwise foot, hip, and shoulder position would be near identical. Try giving this movement a try and see if it helps with the "striding sideways" feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzRqBSKi1Go&ab_channel=ParisiSpeedSchool
attachment.php

Attachments

• DGFormA.jpg
    DGFormA.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 21
Would also get that rear foot squared up a bit in the standstill/one leg drill to help find the move off the rear leg Icarus is talking about. Check out Seabas22 foot angles and posture placement starting out. It usually feels completely bizarre to people at first. I'm still usually surprised that the moves that end up being the most powerful don't usually feel that way starting out.

I still like the general advice that any time I proving standstills is time well spent. I think what Icarus is getting at is doing "prep" work that gets you moving freely and more "athletically" in balance in ways similar to the BH is a good idea in general if you're not used to it.

E.g., I did not have a lot of athletic muscle memory and like the idea of getting used to moving in lateral crossovers/grapevines. Also running laterally in crossovers down the line of a football field and moving in short forward and back bursts. Some hops and low impact plyos to get used to handling those forces. Anything to get the body more used to handling your mass shifting around in athletic balance. That has made it easier to control my body working on my X-hop & translating what I learn from standstills to it. I can definitely attest that the swing is an athletic move!

Latest posts