• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

I have some champ plastic that is the most unfortunate shade of almost completely clear light green, and I lose sight of it against practically everything, especially sky and grass. Is there a really cheap and easy way to dye champ plastic a bright solid color that is easily visible? Where do I buy the dye?

If there is a Joann Fabrics store near you, that's the place. The one by me has every color they make, I think. Both powder and liquid.

Thanks guys. I got some liquid RIT dye today in Violet and Evening Blue. 24 oz of each.

I saw a lot of complaints online about RIT dye bleeding from clothing when washed with clothes. I noticed RIT has a dye fixer they sell. Do I need to get some of that too? Will the RIT dye bleed if the disk gets wet and stain my hands, towel, or bag, or does that only happen with clothing, and/or only with application of detergent?

Thanks guys. I got some liquid RIT dye today in Violet and Evening Blue. 24 oz of each.

I saw a lot of complaints online about RIT dye bleeding from clothing when washed with clothes. I noticed RIT has a dye fixer they sell. Do I need to get some of that too? Will the RIT dye bleed if the disk gets wet and stain my hands, towel, or bag, or does that only happen with clothing, and/or only with application of detergent?

Once you're done with the dyeing, and peeling the vinyl off under warm running water, you shouldn't get any bleeding of the color. Some guys say they put the disc in the freezer for a day or 2 to "set" the color, but that's to help slow the inevitable fading and blurring of the colors and lines. It has nothing to do with color bleeding off the disc.

I have never had a dyed disc bleed on me, except as soon as I pull it out of the dye, once you rinse it off and pad it dry you should be good to go!

I have submerged my discs in the creek many times.. not on purpose.. once the dye is in, it's in, the sun will fade it, but it'll fade your plastic anyways, at least here at this altitude that's the case.. and if your colors fade a bit, you can re-dye it. sounds like you are doing a solid dye so it's not like you will have to remask.. enjoy the experience of dyeing, and get hooked like the rest of us. :hfive:

I just soaked my disc in the liq1uid dye for a half hour and could hardly tell any difference in it at all. Do I need to heat it up or something to get the dye to take?

yeah, heat it to between 120 and 130 what ratio of dye to water are you using? also adding a bit of dish soap helps. I'm not big on liquid RIT but I'm sure if you started with 1/2 bottle/L of water it would be a good start.. I use about 1 packet of black/ 1L of water and heat to steam, let cool then "dip" (i usually just do the face with a mask) I do this for 10- 15 min with good results

Champ sidewinder. It's almost completely clear. Just a little milky light green around the rim.

I finally got some dye to take by applying heat, but it's still fairly transparent disc. I was really hoping for something more bright and opaque. I guess I'll have to go to a darker color.

Also, it's looking powdery and uneven. Do I need to dye it again to even it out?

Also, I read that the liquid is not so great, and that I should get the poweder and mix it with acetone instead of water. Does that work better? Where can I get acetone in bulk without breaking the bank?

No, use water with your Rit. I'll tell you how I do it:

3.5 cups water to one bag of Rit. This is an extremely potent mixture. I do 3.5 cups, because it fits in a gatorade bottle. I do the whole bag of Rit because I don't want leftovers.

I get the mixture really hot the first time, after mixing. Almost a boil. Then I let it cool. Now my dye is ready for storage.

When I need it for a disc, I pour it into a pan and heat it to the point where steam is just starting. 2 on my stove.

Dip and Done. It's usually about 10 minutes dip time.

Liquid works just as well as powder. I use quart mason jars to store my dye in after I'm done. But you do want to mix your dye with water. Just use the whole bottle of liquid dye with around 3 1/2 cups water. That is a very strong mix. Then you can store it when you are done. Heat until warm (Just steaming. Or you can just put your hands on the sides of the pan without burning.) Then just float the disc face down. Which will give the look of a full color dye. Or completely submerge your disc in the liquid. If you submerge the disc just make sure you put something on the bottom of the pan like chopsticks or marbles to keep the disc from resting on the bottom of the pan and burning,

3.5 cups water to one bag of Rit. This is an extremely potent mixture. I do 3.5 cups, because it fits in a gatorade bottle. I do the whole bag of Rit because I don't want leftovers.

you use gatorade bottles I use tonic bottles (1L).. :D

I just can't seem to get this color to take well (even leaving it to soak overnight), and I saw where Bennett said that some RIT dye colors are much better than others for dyeing plastic. Maybe I just got one that doesn't work so well?

The best colors are Scarlet, Royal Blue, and Black. The rest are hit-or miss, might have to be a little more specific, but you will find that not all colors dye plastic the same way they dye fabric.

What colors have you guys had success with, or trouble with?

I just can't seem to get this color to take well (even leaving it to soak overnight), and I saw where Bennett said that some RIT dye colors are much better than others for dyeing plastic. Maybe I just got one that doesn't work so well?

What colors have you guys had success with, or trouble with?

I've had no issues with any Colour. What kind of plastic
Are you dyeing as some plastics like Dx do not take dye very well. There is a thread about which plastics take dye. After looking at your signature it seems you have alot of Dx. Also I mix my dye to the Rit color chart specifications, about 1tbs of powder to 2 cups h2o

I've had no issues with any Colour. What kind of plastic
Are you dyeing as some plastics like Dx do not take dye very well. There is a thread about which plastics take dye. After looking at your signature it seems you have alot of Dx. Also I mix my dye to the Rit color chart specifications, about 1tbs of powder to 2 cups h2o

No, it's champ. I'm dyeing it a solid color just to make it visible, becasue I lose it in the sky and when it lands. But now it's still fairly transparent and splotchy too, which I'm afraid will have a camo effect, making it even less visible upon landing. How do I make it so it's not transparent, and it's one solid color, and it's a bright color that contrasts with common foliage?

No, it's champ. I'm dyeing it a solid color just to make it visible, becasue I lose it in the sky and when it lands. But now it's still fairly transparent and splotchy too, which I'm afraid will have a camo effect, making it even less visible upon landing. How do I make it so it's not transparent, and it's one solid color, and it's a bright color that contrasts with common foliage?

A splotchy effect is a sign that there are air bubbles btw the disc and dye or the dye is almost boiling. Try placing the disc into the dye on an angle and give it a spin to disperse the bubbles

Also with Champ plastic it will always be transparent. You can't make it opaque. You are just going to be able to add some color to make it a little easier to see. My personal favorites for being able to find are the pinks. petal pink and fuchsia.

Here's an example of a clear disc dyed fuchsia.

1rzur5.jpg