• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Obsessive throwing just over a year and 325' - looking to improve form!

Turn your rear foot further back away and swing your shoulder back underneath your chin.

You mean turn it more pigeon toed?
No, duck out open away.
701DA37.png

Turning rear foot further back away should turn your front further back away as well into more closed stance without doing anything to front foot.

Looking better. Now let go of your arm - start extending out away while shoulders still closed to target. Looks like you are trying to keep the disc on a straight line and throwing with a t-rex arm/tucked in elbow. Also looks like you over-cock your wrist/disc down somehow to compensate for the wrist/disc swinging above your elbow.

Instagram sucks for analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

Looking better. Now let go of your arm - start extending out away while shoulders still closed to target. Looks like you are trying to keep the disc on a straight line and throwing with a t-rex arm/tucked in elbow. Also looks like you over-cock your wrist/disc down somehow to compensate for the wrist/disc swinging above your elbow.

Yes. I learned straight-line and I think you're exactly right as to that being why my elbow becomes tucked and my wrist is like that. The way I'm throwing now, if I don't really twerk my hand down it'll be nose up. More extension outward. Should be elbow above wrist. Really widen and maximize the levers. I need to get that straight line stuff outta here.

Better link from today https://youtu.be/Dw-47UHk0K4

I saw loopghost (hyzerunibomber I think?) referencing this clip of Eagle, so I tried to compare.

https://youtu.be/nM81leuc0ko

Some of the things I'm noticing:

1. I hop on the x step. I don't think it's too bad, but could be smoother.

2. I need to dig my front heel down on to the ground at peak reachback before starting to pull to center chest... deweighting my back leg better to drive my back knee down and forward. Timing.

3. I need to keep my grip closed all the way through the follow through. Early release is a bad habit.

4. I can utilize my hips and core better.

5. I think one of the more important takeaways is that from peak reachback to the follow through, while my whole body is still moving forward, Eagle's is practically stopped. That way he gets all of that energy transferred to the disc.

Note how Eagle's shoulder is pulled back underneath into more athletic position like door frame drill and then swings forward like pendulum.

You are pulling your shoulder up and around standing up/extending/humping the goat.

Arm looks better but the tilt of your axis is backwards. Right now you have shoulders trailing hips (horizontally) at full reachback and then your shoulders catch up and pass hips and fall towards target. So your spine does a metronome move. Ideally your spine would be straight up and down (from the filmed angle) at reachback and then your hips would advance to the front (with the help of that nice new off arm move ��) so you'd be standing up tall at the finish.

Makes complete sense! I knew I needed to be straight up and down, but this vid surprised me with how much I was falling forward. Thanks! Will adjust!

I looked at the video from your first post and the most recent ones and you still have the fundamental issue of starting the disc forward before all the weight is off your back foot. You have moved much closer in the right direction, but you are leaving some easy power on the table.

To emphasize the feeling of being fully on the front foot, try either the one leg drill or some one step throws, but focus on actually picking up the back foot off the ground just before the disc starts moving forward. It should feel to you like the front swing is starting much later and will feel weird for a while.