• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Only 2 Driver Molds - Pair an OLF with ?

riltim

Eagle Member
I'm a low power player 300-325 looking to simplify my bag even further. If you had to pick one other mold to pair with OLF's to cover ALL driving duties what would it be?

riltim said:
I have 2 175 opto rivers and 1 169 opto river, would those be comparable to the leopard or jackal?
The River is the type of disc you are looking for, if you have them already throw a few rounds with them and report back.

I'll pair my OLFs with the rivers for a round or two to see how they do. I've been dying to try the jls though.

Polaris, JLS, or Leo are all good mates for the OLF as stated above. I played a long time with just OLF and OLS in my bag and did quite well with that combo.

Will these two replace your Teebird duties as well? Reason I ask is because I'm in a similar situation, I carry 3 Teebirds and a River. I suppose I don't need both molds, River only sees action when it's calm or in tunnel shots. Mine is a max weight GL but it gets pushed around like a little bitch when it's windy (compared to Teebirds). Can't imagine dropping the Teebirds for Rivers.

JLS is better than the FD, Leo, and Teebird. It has more distance potential, molds up more consistantly, and doesn't get flippy weird.

But then again, why dont' you just beat the shit out of a MOLF? Pair it up with a QOLF and you'd be alright.

At his power a low fade low power requirement disc for distance control and easier annies and tight tunnels is needed. Not to mention line shaping. Because essentially he powers down the OLFs from the power they are optimized for. Were it not for the line shaping needs Champ Leo would fit the bill the best. For line shaping Star Leo is better and since he asked for mold both work well.

Don't get me wrong in the last two seasons i've thrown the River more and i love it and the Leo but i am at a different power level and given that, the local courses and winds the River works better overall. But probably not for his power. JLS good when new if it ain't the weird flipping hard fading QJLS variety. Normal JLS breaks into too flippy too soon. That is why for the OP my answer is both Champ and Star Leopard needs to be tried. At his power the Star should be workable for many lines.

Yes this is to replace my teebirds as well. Right now I carry 2 SOLFs and 1 MOLF, 1 champ and 2 DX teebirds and 2 opto rivers. I know all of these overlap quite a bit and I want to simplify it further. Id love to keep my DX teebirds but I'm finding its hard to find replacements that aren't junk plastic.

I'll probably pair the OLFs with the rivers for now and see how it works out. I'll probably order a jls in the not so distant future to test as a river replacement.

There are two good things in that approach. You have the discs and testing like that doesn't cost anything. Once you have done that test you'll see if the relatively small speed and distance difference between the River and the OLF is a problem. With long to tweener mids it might not be especially if you are not faced with tunnels. Where Leos dominate.

MOLFs are ok for 90 % of the flight and the fade is the problem even for a higher powered thrower than the OP. Or if you don't agree then you are not getting all the potential out of Leopards most likely.

Latest posts