• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overrated West Coast Courses

TOO FUNNY

I saw the thread of the overrated east coast courses and I thought I would start one for the west coast. I've only played in Oregon and Washington so I don't know much about California. Here is my top five overrated for WA and OR:

1: Fort Steilacoom Park in Lakewood (Tacoma) WA - Unfriendly to players who don't know the course with 14 different layouts and little signage. The land there is good but I've heard many call it the best in the state and it's not even in my top 10 for Washington.

2: Milo Mciver State Park in Estacada OR - A great course indeed but again not much signage and people play it the 27 hole layout and the 18 west/9 east layout as well, very confusing for a first timer. Anyone other than 950 and above rated players will find it frustrating.

3: Seatac DGC in Seatac WA - A very hard course and a good course, it's overrated because there really is nothing else as challenging or as good in the Seattle area.

4: Lakewood DGC in Seattle WA - 5 minutes from Seatac and a good course but it's full of people on nice days and it's hyped up a ton.

5: Whitsler's Bend in Roseburg OR - A great course but not top 5 in the country. The first 6 holes are all short and the back 3 or 4 holes are long, open and boring. It gets hyped up because of he big 'top of the world' shot.

Wow. This post cracked me up. If you're going to say a course is overrated, at least give valid support or good reasons. These just sound like whiny complaints that aren't even talking about the courses.

Mciver is overrated because it's frustrating??? Sounds like a weak arm speaking. Mciver is the future of disc golf. Period. Not just one of the best on the west coast but also in the country. if you can't follow the layout with no signs, then print a map!! lol you shouldn't be talking about the people playing the course if you're talking about THE COURSE being overrated. These are 2 different things. Maybe the golfers are overrated...

Seatac is overrated because there isn't anything else good in the area??? Does this even make sense to yourself? Are we talking about the Seatac course or other courses in the surrounding area? Pick one.

Lakewood is overrated because a lot of people play it??? LMAO!!! I would think that a lot of people playing a course is saying something positive about THE COURSE.

Even the title of your thread is complete BS. How can you talk about the west coast being overrated and not even include California? Do you realize how big California is? lol There may be some overrated courses in THE NW, but they aren't on your dillusional list.

All I can say is.....WOW

Side note: I saw mention of Horning's. I recently played the courses there for the first time and I was a little disappointed. It just felt like it needed a lot more work done. Benches would be nice. Cleaning up some of the fairways would be a plus. The only baskets that were decent were on the big course. There were at least a few holes that needed a more defined fairway. But I'm just speaking in general terms because there are 3 courses here. The short course isn't even worth playing unless you're a little kid.

I'd rather play any of the courses on the wonderful list that the guy gave....or Pier, or Dabney, or Rooster Rock, or Adair and several others.

Horning's has great potential though. Just a little bit overrated I think.

going thru and recapping/inputting scorecards from my NW trip, and wanted to chime in on this probably dead thread.

Pier park is the most over rated out of the bunch that I played.
Milo I would agree to be also over rated.

I would say Seatac is under rated.

most everything else seemed pretty close. Didn't get to Hornings like I wanted to though. :(

Anybody that talks smack about De Laveaga is ignorant. The course is epic and designed over 25 years ago. What were people throwing back then? Aviars and Aeros? The fact that it is still so challanging speaks to the brilliance of it's designer.

Anybody that talks smack about De Laveaga is ignorant. The course is epic and designed over 25 years ago. What were people throwing back then? Aviars and Aeros? The fact that it is still so challanging speaks to the brilliance of it's designer.

So saying DeLA is overrated is talking smack? well .......ok, maybe there are those that just don't find it as "epic" as you - no insult to you. People talk about the awesome views at Dela - but the views they speak of are of what you can see from the top of the hill - not really the beauty of the holes. Last time I was there it was pretty much all hard packed dirt fairways with poison oak laden gullies. Not the most epic/picturesque place on the planet.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great place to play - fun and difficulty factors are high, but honestly - it's always a bit anticlimactic to drive past the lush green grass of the adjacent golf course to arrive at the dirt track that is DeLa. But then I guess grass is overrated too :)

Pier Park? Nooo I gotta stick up for my home course. It's the best course in Portland, OR. Definitely not overrated.

People that hate it are usually the ones bouncing their discs off the trees all day.

But then I guess grass is overrated too :)

Personally I think grass makes disc golf a hell of a lot easier. That being said grass is a lot better for personal comfort but I think it allows a player to be a bit sloppier since it greatly reduces skips. A tightly manicured turf would be nice but I have yet to see that course.