• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PizzaGod Disc Golf days

1085 miles
36 hours
9 courses
137 holes
1 newspaper interview

Up to 1802 courses played
45 of those in Mississippi

Played
Robertson Park (18) – Collins
Okatoma KOA (9) – Lux
Carterville Baptist (18) – Petal
Paul B Johnson SP – Kit Fox (12) – Hattiesburg
Paul B Johnson SP – Artic Fox (18) – Hattiesburg
Paul B Johnson SP – Desert Fox (18) – Hattiesburg
Cheona Trails (18) – Wiggins
Ashe Lake (18) – Brooklyn
Ashe Lake Rec (8) – Brooklyn

Bit more than I can chew.

Got away from the store just before 10pm and made it all the way to Collins MS. When I pulled up to the park at 5am, I recognized it. I looked it up and saw that it had been redesigned from 9 to 18 holes. So I took a nap till the sun came up and played a round.

Robertson Park is a park style course with lots of large tree's. It does have a little elevation. And it has a couple of dangerous water holes. Yep, hole 17's basket is on a very then peninsula. I not only threw a junk driver into the water with a drive that would have been inside of circle one. But I missed my putt with my backup putter and it landed on the edge of the shore and slid into the water to never be seen again. This course is an improvement from the old course. A couple of the holes are the same.

Just down the road a little was the KOA campground, Okatoma. The office wasn't open yet, but I found a guy on a golf cart who talked about him and his brother building the course for fun. Got permission to play it and played a quick round. It's 3 baskets with 9 rubber tee pads and small signs for each hole. Nothing special and you would think with all the ponds and wood around, they could have built a better course. But it's better than nothing and does force you to throw different shots.

Next up I headed to the east side of Hattiesburg to play Carterville Baptist course. This one had 8 baskets and 18 tee's. You really need to use UDisc map because not all the tee's were marked and a few were hard to figure out. With that said, hole 18 was messed up on UDisc, but it was marked with a tee sign so I played it right. The course did have a couple of wooded holes and a couple that you had to throw kind of hard. But most of the course was pitch and putt though tree's and around some playground equipment.

Needed 3 more courses to get to the goal, Paul B Johnson State Park has 3 courses and it fit the bill. I started on what I thought was a "family friendly" 9 hole course. Well I then noticed DGCR had it listed as 10, UDisc had it listed as 11 and when I pulled up the score card, it said 12. It does could a few bucks to play, they offered me a map to the two other courses, but this new one they didn't have yet. I walked around and found all 12 holes and played them. Later that day I talked with Bo Kirk who told me he was about to give them 2 more baskets to put out there. Holes 1 and 2 are below the dam and wide open shots. Then you have 2 little shots between the maintenance building and the entrance. Then 8 more holes in a nicely mowed area all the way over to the park entrance at the highway. Only one hole is "long" That was hole 7 that throws though some tall trees, one with a mando, then off to the left with the basket down behind some rough. There is a newer hole after this on the way to the hole marked hole 8. The last hole is near the park entrance. The tee's are marked, just no hole numbers. There were at least 4 different type of baskets.

Across the dam and spillway was the next course Artic Fox. This one is mostly a park style course with mostly open holes throwing around tree's with elevation coming into play on several holes. Course flow was pretty good except for a hole that threw towards the spillway, you then had to walk back to throw the other direction. The course does make two loops with 9 holes each and the restrooms were open. A couple of holes were cut into a wooded area.

When you come out of the woods on hole 4 and throw hole 5, you can see the turn for Desert Fox. You could play all 36 of these holes and one long course. There is a championship layout that uses both courses but I didn't try to look at it. Desert Fox is the oldest course in the park. It's actually more open that Artic Fox but has some decent holes. Most memorable is hole 3 that throws across part of the lake to a peninsula that is a scary shot even though it's only 200 ft. I parked this one, but hole 10 along the road has a little creek that was maybe 3 foot wide that ate one of my bottom stamped wraiths. Hole 11 to 18 were all mostly open with a few longer holes. You could tell they have lost several very large tree's in the park.

Next up was course #1800, I sent a message to Bo Kirk telling him I was going to be in his neck of the woods and was going to play a top 5 UDisc rated course "Eagle's Nest". However, he told me I should make his new course in Wiggins course #1800 and he would not install the last baskets in until I showed up so I would be the very first person to play the full 18 hole course with baskets. Bo built a beast. Most of the course is carved out of the woods and you could tell he learned a lot from John Houck on how to build a disc golf hole. The course was only started 3 months ago and the fairways are still very rough and the rough is thick. He does have Blue, White and Red tee's marked on the course. I was pretty tired at this point and elected to play the White layout. Bo also had a reporter from the local play show up and do a quick interview of me and took some pictures as I played the first few holes. All I can say about this course is that it will eventually be one of the top 5 courses in the state. Well designed with decent holes. Of course the baskets are orange, the Orange Man designed the course. But he did a great job of making you use every shot in your bag. Disc placement is important on several holes to score well. And as I found out on hole 7, don't get off the fairway, it's rough.

Finished my round, for some dumb reason I headed to the next course. I was hurting trying to finish that one as it was. I was SO glad that Ashe Lake course was mostly flat. I played the "main" course and elected to not play the long tee's on the holes that had them. This course is really pretty. Green grass on most of the fairways with large tree's and deep rough lining the fairways. It's not a super long course, you just need to keep it on the fairway.

After I finished that round, there was an old 9 hole rec course across the little lake. I could see the baskets and what looked like tee signs so I figured I was in the area, might as well play it. I found a kiosk with map and description of what the course was. It had holes with different levels of play. Hole 1 to 4 had a sidewalk for wheel chairs. Holes 5 to 7 were next to the lake with grass. Then Tier 3 holes 8 and 9 were on the side of a hill. However I was unable to find hole 9. I did find the tee sign for 8 and after throwing up the hill, managed to find the basket almost overgrown on the side of a hill. I only carried a Classic Roc with me, was playing with 2 of the new ones I picked up from Innova a few weeks ago. 2 of the baskets still had the bell on top for the blind. One of them still could be rang.

It was getting dark at this point, there is a high school course close by but I didn't really feel like it nor was there enough day light. I had a 525 mile drive to go. I made it to Hattiesburg to get gas. Then managed to make it to Vicksburg and stopped to get a bite to eat. I was going to try to stop every hour, but when I pulled over near Monroe LA, I almost instantly fell asleep. Woke up in 2 hours, fell asleep again for another 2 hours. At his point it had me getting home at 8am in rush hour traffic. I did manage to get to Marshall TX before I had to pull over and take another nap. 2 hours later the sun woke me up and I drove the rest of the way home getting home at 10am.

Favorite Course of the day – Artic Fox has to be my favorite. The course really fit my game and I scored well and enjoyed throwing most of the holes.

Best course of the day – No question here, what Bo is building in Wiggins is a monster of a course worthy of a top tier pro tournament. I didn't keep score, but I know I didn't shoot under par.

Worst course of the day – I hate bashing private church courses, but the little course at Carterville Baptist should have just been a little 9 hole course instead of trying to make it 18 throwing back and forth. It would be hard to have more than just one group playing this course. You also have a hodge podge of different baskets from cheap Amazon to old Innova Discatchers.

2024/05/02 Hattiesburg

Last edited:
You're an animal @Pizza God

"Finished my round, for some dumb reason I headed to the next course."

Then played another one after that too.

Congrats on 1800 (y)

96 miles
2 1/2 hours
1 course
9 holes
1 ACE

Up to 1803 courses played
701 of those in Texas

Played
Trenton Memorial Park (9) - Trenton

Well, I read about this course on Friday off the McKinney page. No one seemed to know anything about it other than the guy who posted asking about it. He did drive by and check it out saying it saw "posts" marking tee's.

I didn't get up early enough yesterday so I made sure if the weather was ok to take the time to drive up and check it out today.

Well, I found 8 tee markers and 7 baskets. I figured out one of the baskets actually was used for hole 6 and 8. However there was not a basket with the number 9 on it.

It's a small little pitch and putt course in a very small park. Your typical small town course.

You even throw over the parking lot, next to a ball field, off a walking trail, 6 fairway goes over 7's tee box not to mention there are some picnic tables in the fairways.

I could not find a surveyor stick (that is what marked the tee's) for hole 1. I found what I thought would make a good spot and played it from there. However I can't guarantee you that is what is the intention. It throws left to right about 200ft.

Hole 2 throws from an old walking path that looks like it has been a long time since it got used. This hole's fairway was mostly water as it did rain pretty good in the last few days. It's another 240 or so shot.

Hole 3 throws back along the road and is probably suppose to be a mando left to right, but it's not marked and I hyzered over the road to the basket about 275 between two tree's next to the park road.

Hole 4 throws across the parking area for the ball fields to a basket between two trees with a horse shoe pit to the left of the basket.

Hole 5 throws to the park entrance over some PAR equipment, it's one of the shorter holes with a low clearance.

Hole 6 is across the park road and a tree line on the fire station yard to a hanging basket that is also used for basket 8. Due to the rain, there was a very small creek under the basket.

Hole 7 throws next to hole 6's basket, actually inside of circle 1. This one follows a tree line and that small creek for about 300ft. You do have a ball field to the left and on the other side of the tree line is the fire station.

Hole 8 basically throws back but is a little shorter and more open with the ball field to your right and that row of tree's on your left.

Hole 9's tee is marked on the edge of the horse shoe pit on the cement. Based on how all the other sticks were facing, this was f acing basket #3 however it did not have a number 9 on it. There were no other baskets in that area other than hole 1 and it did not have a 9 on it either. I threw to basket 9 which is across the edge of the parking area and park road and smashed the chains for an Ace. So is it an ace or black ace, I do not know for sure. Till I find out, I am counting it.

In general, this is your typical small town course. It's not worth playing unless you are driving up 121 between Bonham and McKinney and have the time to swing by.

I always say in my reviews, would I play here again? Nope, this is a one and done course. I might drive by and take new pictures if they put in tee pads or tee signs. otherwise, I counted it, not going to play it again.