• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most embarrassing disc golf moment

tmahan

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
There are so many it's hard to pick just one, but browsing the first course played thread reminded me of a one that could have ended up a lot worse than it did. I was playing Burke Lake #6 (was #9 back then in the old configuration) from the long tees. The hole isn't long but fairly tight even from the short tee. From the long tee for me there may as well have been a brick wall in the fairway. I never got past halfway and was always pitching out. I was playing solo and got behind 5 or 6-some who decided to have a conversation around the basket after holing out. I waited a awhile and finally hollered up there a couple times, still they chatted. The long tee is kind of down in a hole so maybe they didn't see me. Finally I decided WTH, it's not like I'm gonna hit the green anyway so I tee'd off. I hit the number plate flush, hard and loud. They scattered quickly. It was almost funny but we were all really lucky. The disc was an old, hard P-38 Lightning, I'd hate to get hit by that thing. I'm the type that will never throw if I think there's a remote chance of hitting someone. If someone had done that to me I would have been all up their face. Of course I wouldn't have been standing around the basket for minutes after holing out. All in all, a very fortunate but embarrassing moment.

I'm sorry, I really had a good laugh on this one! I know the outcome could have been bad but I could just picture those guys crapping their pants when that disc hit the number plate!:D I have been in that same scenario myself several times while I was playing solo.

This goes back quite a few years....

Put my approach under the cage.
Went to drop my disc in the cage, turned my head to say something to a card mate. Was "sure" my hand was over the cage. Dropped my disc on the ground instead of the cage. 🥴

Only blemish on my bogie free round. 🤬

😩

Last edited:
2019 at Camp Tecumseh in NJ. Throwing with a couple buddies way better than me. Hole 1 (of course) I had been battling a painful wart on the outside of my right foot I hadn't taken care of to that point. Went to tee off- as soon as I planted my foot and was going to release, the pain in my foot hit me sharply and next thing I know I gorilla-gripped the disc throwing it directly behind me and the tee into a pricker bush-filled gully, about 25-30 ft. or so (or should I say negative!). My buddies were laughing their asses off. Never let me live it down some 4 years later whenever we go throw. Embarrassing!!!

Last edited:
Just recently I played my first tournament in over 10 years. Now that I'm old I get to play in the 40+ group. We were playing on the country club golf course so really long holes some as long as 1400 feet! I'm throwing from the tee from on top of this huge hill, hole is probably 700 feet. I step up and try to put a little extra stank on it and my finger doesn't let go resulting in throwing my drive parallel to the tee box and in the neighbors yard who touches the golf course. The really embarrassing thing is that I live in that neighborhood too and neighbor was outside in his garden doing work when the disc landed 25 feet from him. He gave me a bunch of chit as I went to grab my OB disc. I always told him how fun it is and how many courses I've played and how long I'd been playing so you can imagine what kind of grief he was giving me lol. Fun day though, glad I played the tourney.

...And haven't we all played courses with houses just off the fairway/course. I know at least once I have hit the side of a house (Twin Grove in PA, I think- had no business getting even close to that house but I did!) - and of course since it's such a shameful moment, wouldn't you know that the *thud* sound of the disc hitting the house is as loud as can be!

...And haven't we all played courses with houses just off the fairway/course. I know at least once I have hit the side of a house (Twin Grove in PA, I think- had no business getting even close to that house but I did!) - and of course since it's such a shameful moment, wouldn't you know that the *thud* sound of the disc hitting the house is as loud as can be!
I did that playing ball golf once in a pretty remarkable manner. It was 100 degrees and I was playing solo, pretty much had the whole course to myself. I was on the tee of an honest par 5 and about to hit my 2 iron as I had absolutely no confidence in any on my woods. The marshall drove up on his cart basically just to say hi. When he saw me with the iron he asked whay not hit a wood? I told him about my problems with woods, he kept at me. "There's no one out here and it's wide open".

The only house nearby was directly across from the tee guarded by a stand of trees. I finally relented and pulled out my 5 wood, I toe'd it at 90 degree angle through the trees and into the siding on the house with a loud thwack. The marshall almost crapped himself and peeled out. No real damage other than a dent and the homeowner was chill about it.

A couple years later I learned that hitting a golf ball really isn't the same as hitting a baseball.

On friday I shot a 7 on an easy 204 foot hole during league night. First shot hit a tree and landed in water, second shot hit a tree, 3rd shot hit the basket and rolled 100+ feet downhill into the creek, 4th shot layup, 5th shot putt. My card mates were looking at me like I was the worst player on earth

Becoming the proud owner of the trophy my group put together for First Available Tree.
It's going to take a special one to beat throwing off the tee. Hitting first available for a disc bounce back and then getting hit in the foot with it.

First tournament at Lancaster Bible College I hit a moving truck that was driving up the road that goes along 18's fairway. My cardmates were like "you're good, just throw!". My disc skipped and hit the bottom of the truck. The driver was fine with it (thankfully it was a DX Leopard) but I felt so bad the rest of the day.

Becoming the proud owner of the trophy my group put together for First Available Tree.
It's going to take a special one to beat throwing off the tee. Hitting first available for a disc bounce back and then getting hit in the foot with it.
Several years ago, a bunch of us that usually played on the same card in our league, created the Lumberjack Award. We kept track of trunk hits (hitting limbs or leaves didn't count). Someone donated an old plaid flannel shirt, and whomever hit the most trees had to wear the shirt the following week.

We all chipped in a few bucks to buy a VIP Hatchet, which went to the player who earned the shirt the most times.

Fun stuff!

Several years ago, a bunch of us that usually played on the same card in our league, created the Lumberjack Award. We kept track of trunk hits (hitting limbs or leaves didn't count). Someone donated an old plaid flannel shirt, and whomever hit the most trees had to wear the shirt the following week.

We all chipped in a few bucks to buy a VIP Hatchet, which went to the player who earned the shirt the most times.

Fun stuff!
That gives me a funny idea for our next club event.

Four of us were playing a church course in the midwest a couple decades ago. Don't remember where. The course was on church property and the only parking was a pretty protected, wood lined lot.

We finished up the round and were cooling down and changing shoes and socks Two of us immediately found multiple ticks on us. A quick check then revealed we all had ticks at our sock lines and waistbands. We started working on a comprehensive tick check and went down to our skivvies. Moments later an older guy in a sedan pulls up and asks us what we think we are doing. We try explaining and the guy starts to get pretty angry, implying we were up to far more nefarious activity than what it was. He introduces himself as Father Bestick, the head priest at the church. He threatens to call the cops. At that point we were like....go ahead. The tick check was really the pressing matter. The cops quickly show up...like three cars of them. They were much more patient and had a pretty decent laugh at the situation. Father Bestick eventually apologized. It was a pretty red face moment, all in all.

Last edited:
I've got several, hitting first available and ending up behind me, falling on my face multiple times running C2 putts from a knee, punching trees on my back swing/follow through, hitting houses across the street, etc. but idk which is worse, managing to put a disc on the back porch of a house, or getting a disc stuck on the roof of the school.

Couple years back I was playing a tournament, on chase card for round 2 and didn't particularly feel like I was shooting that much better than my card or chasing down the leaders (important note that this events TD did not use pdga live scoring and we were all paper carding it). Last hole is a massive Par 5 through the woods. I'm 10 feet away from the basket putting for birdie based up against the back of a massive oak tree so I have to straddle putt. It's like 105 degrees outside and I'm just ready to get the round over. I'm trying to find a good straddle stance that gives me a chance to get around the tree for a look at the putt. I'm pumping the disc trying to get comfortable and kind of straining to stretch just a bit farther, manage to rip the loudest bassiest fart known to man while pumping the disc. I let the disc go without really intending to, due to the surprise, and it smacks straight into the cage. So I tap in for Par almost in tears laughing as the card razzes me. Turns out that putt was for the win as the lead card all played terribly. Instead I'm now in a playoff and have to keep playing. Of course I lose the playoff and since 2 of the people on my card rode with me to the tournament, I get razzed the entire ride home. Fun times. Sonic for lunch was a bad idea...

It was a tricky par 5 with a severely sloped green and was one of the first few holes of the tournament. I had a par putt pin high about 35 feet out. I bounced on the top of the rim, then slowly rolled down the hill into the OB street. I thought I was pretty clever when I chose to putt from the same location, as it was much closer, thinking I would drain the putt. Welp, I did the exact same thing, rolling OB yet again. I decided then to pitch up from there and take a tap-in 10. OOOOF!

To add insult to injury, there was a cardmate that missed his teetime and joined us on the hole after. So even after he had to take his penalty par plus 4 for the hole, he still beat me 🤯

I just might be the first person to lose teebox honors to someone that didn't even play the previous hole. 🤡

Wouldn't even know where to start. I'm good for at least one amazingly terrible drive per round.

I've hit houses, I've hit cars, I've hit people. Gone for a post round meal, unaware that I was covered in mud and blood. Threw an accidental roller on the roof of a building. Probable longest lifetime throw wasn't confirmed because it went 90 degrees offline down the side of a Wisco mountain.

Latest posts