• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Annoying fast players behind you

Just tell the guy you're trying to save a bird while killing two birds with one stone. You're out here studying plants, trees, and everything the birds feed off of and getting practice shots In as well, for him to go ahead. Or just circle back to your car like you forgot something, then restart

More of a rant.
Was playing solo today with no one on the course. I was walking towards hole 2 when i see a guy pull up, gets out of his car and within 4 seconds throws a disc at the practice basket, car door still open.
On hole 3 i heard him make his putt on hole 1 and see him speed walking to hole 2. I'm the type of guy who likes to enjoy my time and analyze shots so i waited for him, and offered him to play through. He responds "nah im good." The entire round after i finish a hole, he'd speed through it and wait on the tee pad as i played. Felt like he was breathing down my neck and kinda ruined my round.

What do ya'll think. Do you let these people get in your head? Do you ever feel pressured by faster groups who refuse to play through for whatever reason?
if I'm alone I might ask to join a group or our group might ask a solo to join. Meet some good people that way.

More of a rant.
Was playing solo today with no one on the course. I was walking towards hole 2 when i see a guy pull up, gets out of his car and within 4 seconds throws a disc at the practice basket, car door still open.
On hole 3 i heard him make his putt on hole 1 and see him speed walking to hole 2. I'm the type of guy who likes to enjoy my time and analyze shots so i waited for him, and offered him to play through. He responds "nah im good." The entire round after i finish a hole, he'd speed through it and wait on the tee pad as i played. Felt like he was breathing down my neck and kinda ruined my round.

What do ya'll think. Do you let these people get in your head? Do you ever feel pressured by faster groups who refuse to play through for whatever reason?

Just kindly tell him to play through. Or pretend to take a phone call so he knows to play through. Or sit down and wait. You are under no obligation to have this guy breathe down your neck the whole round. Sounds like he didn't know he was being annoying.

if I'm alone I might ask to join a group or our group might ask a solo to join. Meet some good people that way.

When i get a good vibe, I'll ask to join, or ask him to join. There are times though when I just want to relax and take my time. I joined with another solo last month, and while he was a nice enough guy, he was ultra high energy and I wasn't able to fully enjoy the 9 holes we played. I had already played my round for the day, so I just chalked it up to meeting another disc golfer.

I'd have no problem getting him to just pass me honestly. Did you just sit down and tell him you're taking a breather or anything. He'd probably just play through.

I've never had this problem tbh. It's always been the complete opposite. I'm usually the asshole that's catching up to you after each hole, just hoping you'll ask if I want to play through. It doesn't get in my head, but it seems like it's always the worst hole to let me play through on. I hit the first available, wife does the same, we can't find either drive and proceed to take 6's or we can't find a disc and just have them play through only to be stuck behind them the rest of the round. This is FAR more common in my experience.
DUDE SAME

More of a rant.

I just turn around and walk back to the hole behind them and keep playing.

I will say this, when you are forced to drive in front of a group or stranger who gave you the go ahead to play through or when you're forced to drive in front of a speedy player who caught up to you somehow and you actually throw a perfect, long, golf shot that hits the exact line and lands under the basket or in circle 1.. feels good man.

While anyone who's waiting for me is going to get into my head and cause me to play worse than I'm already playing, I appreciate those who have the respect to wait. I have had others actually tee off, nearly hit me, and then act like they didn't know I was there (I'm a large person). Those *$@& I'll give a piece of my mind when we get within speaking distance and certainly sit down at the next tee. I'm not asking them to go ahead; I'm *telling* them to go ahead! Large size, old age, no-nonsense expression on my face, they go on!

Now the opposite situation. I'm the one moving faster because it's just me, and the group in front is 10 people 😅 or parents with a little kid that they're trying to teach the sport or it's a party group having a party and only halfway actually playing disc golf.

If I see it's going to be a really, really long slog, I break the conveyor belt and start at/skip to another hole. Not before assessing who I am inserting myself between and if I'm going to foul up their game. If the slow group waves me through, I play through. If I'm not in a tremendous hurry and the people are actually trying to move along, I give them a lot of breathing room if there's nobody behind me. I start playing slower. I match their pace.

Inevitably somebody faster is going to get behind me. I'll let them pass through, and they can deal with the slower group in front. (Yes, I tell them the situation in advance.) Or I break the conveyor belt, move somewhere else.

One of the beauties of recreational disc golf over ball golf is there are no marshals to force you to play holes 1-18 in sequential order. Whatever holes I had to skip, I go back to later. If it is a course where holes 1, 9, 10, and 18 come together, I play the B9 before the F9. Whatever will work and be the least disruptive to the people already there.

Have someone start taking videos of every shot. That will get you used to being watched. Have them tell you they are putting it on youtube as soon as the round is over.

If the tailgater is not actually making any noise or distractions, it is all in your head, and the most likely issue is you being self conscious about others watching you throw/putt, etc.

For anyone who plays tournaments, especially starting out, this can be a real thing--but having someone video you can help you focus. Its all about focus. I'm admittedly not great at it, but I know what the problem is anyway. :)

In fact, that tailgater can help you work on your focus, for free. Let 'em stare! Also, any pressure you feel about holding them up--that's also in your head. You offered (maybe more than once), they declined. Play your round at your speed.

Have someone start taking videos of every shot. That will get you used to being watched. Have them tell you they are putting it on youtube as soon as the round is over.

If the tailgater is not actually making any noise or distractions, it is all in your head, and the most likely issue is you being self conscious about others watching you throw/putt, etc.

For anyone who plays tournaments, especially starting out, this can be a real thing--but having someone video you can help you focus. Its all about focus. I'm admittedly not great at it, but I know what the problem is anyway. :)

In fact, that tailgater can help you work on your focus, for free. Let 'em stare! Also, any pressure you feel about holding them up--that's also in your head. You offered (maybe more than once), they declined. Play your round at your speed.

Sometimes people just want to play, and not practice for tournaments.

It doesn't happen very often, but when it does I wave them thru soon as I can or they may finish the round with me.

Last week for the second time this year the same younger fella caught up with me on a peninsula hole 30-40 mph wind and we shared misery when both of our approaches went into the river. He also loses his putter into the river from 15 feet when it lifted up. Two holes later he scores a wicked Ace in the same wind.

I've declined to play thru a few times when I was practicing for a tournament. I haven't declined to play thru, but I've stayed back when I was playing a new or confusing course.

I've declined to play thru a few times when I was practicing for a tournament. I haven't declined to play thru, but I've stayed back when I was playing a new or confusing course.
We decline, often. I generally play casual with a group of old guys. We don't play slowly, but we move kind of slowly, lol. We also are prone to taking frequent breaks to grab a smoke, stop at a picnic table and just bullshit for a few minutes... If we catch some group, it is usually because they got caught up searching for a disc in front of us. We often decline......letting them know we are playing a social round, and if we catch them again, we will rethink the offer. Thank them profusely to reinforce that the offer was the right thing to do. We generally do not catch them again. You can kind of tell if you are going to be catch a group over and over.

Whether or not you ever play in in tournaments, strengthening your focus while playing is a good outcome we all would take.
You don't seem to get it. Sometimes we just want to go out and throw minimizing the distractions. Sometimes it just about being outside getting away from the noise of the world, not submerging yourself in it. Try is sometime, it is nice, lol.

Last edited:
You don't seem to get it. Sometimes we just want to go out and throw minimizing the distractions. Sometimes it just about being outside getting away from the noise of the world, not submerging yourself in it. Try is sometime, it is nice, lol.

This is kind of why I like playing winter (snow) rounds. Nobody else is out there, it's cold of course. But it's a great contrast to the majority of your other rounds throughout the year. The winter's been weird here, probably for you too. Normally the first snow round is around Thanksgiving or early December. The snow is fresh, glistening, and it's just a fantastic time to be throwing discs. This year we had no snow for Christmas which is crazy.

Forecast is for 30's by Tuesday. Hoping to get out with my lunchtime crew at Bassett. No worries about other traffic :)

This is kind of why I like playing winter (snow) rounds. Nobody else is out there, it's cold of course. But it's a great contrast to the majority of your other rounds throughout the year. The winter's been weird here, probably for you too. Normally the first snow round is around Thanksgiving or early December. The snow is fresh, glistening, and it's just a fantastic time to be throwing discs. This year we had no snow for Christmas which is crazy.
Same here. I love my early morning rounds on Thanksgiving and Christmas, especially when light snow is falling. Very peaceful. This winter has been weird also. It was 55 on Christmas. We just had our first substantial snow this past week. No Bueno for playing but a good time to get some solid workouts in, lol. lottasnow.jpg