• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA need to get in bed with a sponsor like Red Bull

Ah PBR, the choice of chuckers everywhere.

pbr is truly a universal beer. perfect for any occasion

oh your drinking in a trailer park? pbr.

oh your a hipster drinking at a house party in uptown? pbr.

oh your a punk kid at a show lookin for the cheapest beer at the bar? pbr.

oh now your a chucker? pbr.

i still don't get why most of you want dg to be some super big sport full of money and greed.

In my mind, Red Bull would be an ideal company to align with, as they already deal with a lot of alternative sports and have a wide reach across the globe with their brand and events. Red Bull already have an established brand with their motorsports, extreme sports and their support behind stuff like the flight contest. Imagine Red Bull throwing 500k towards a disc golf series with 3-4 events across the world...could be huge and would be pretty low risk. Imagine seeing Paul McBeth on a TV commercial, if only for just for a second or two out of 30. To me it seems like a perfect fit and it could really elevate the professional level of the sport and also grow the sport.

thoughts?

(1) I'm certain the PDGA has tried, possibly with Red Bull, certainly with other national sponsors.

(2) I suspect that Red Bull has researched fringe sports and knows about disc golf. They must have someone who's job it is to look for new advertising opportunities.

(3) I'm not sure what exactly $500,000, spread out over 4 events, would buy. I don't know the cost of productions and airtime, but my guess is that $125,000 per event wouldn't do it.

(4) As always, it comes down to spectators, enough spectators to justify the cost, with a better return than other opportunities the sponsor has to invest the same amount of money. Hard to imagine that from disc golf.

I would like to see NOS energy drink sponsor it. It would get their name out as well as disc golf. Best and only energy drink I will consume too. They already sponsor a NASCAR guy, disc golf is better than that!

As a disc golfer, I'd rather see, for example, the GBO sponsored by DD, not Redbull.

Instead of the brands we love, you'd have a takeover from these big corporations just making a buck and taking over events.

I'd rather see my dollar go to DD, Innova, etc. than some terrible tasting energy garbage.

As a disc golfer, I'd rather see, for example, the GBO sponsored by DD, not Redbull.

Instead of the brands we love, you'd have a takeover from these big corporations just making a buck and taking over events.

I'd rather see my dollar go to DD, Innova, etc. than some terrible tasting energy garbage.
Event sponsorship does not equal a 'takeover' nor does it mean that Red Bull is going to start making cash hand over fist from disc golfers. Its simply more money for prize pools and exposure on a more mainsteam level.

Your dollars are ALREADY going to DD, Innova, etc. I don't see why you'd stop giving them money because Red Bull decided to sponsor a tournament.

It would be better if the PDGA worked harder partnering with each State's State Park system. Get more courses in state parks and grow the sport from the grass roots.

(4) As always, it comes down to spectators, enough spectators to justify the cost, with a better return than other opportunities the sponsor has to invest the same amount of money. Hard to imagine that from disc golf.

Until this is addressed it won't matter who we think should sponsor disc golf.
Companies sponsor an event/activity/sport because they see potential customers at these events/activities/sports.

No spectators = no sponsors.

I don't think its clownish to not want your passion to be sponsored by a product that is highly unhealthy and dangerous and doesn't really jive much with the experience most enjoy about disc golf smh

Please tell me wise one, what experience do I enjoy most about DG. since you're putting words in peoples mouths and what not.

Last edited:
Until this is addressed it won't matter who we think should sponsor disc golf.
Companies sponsor an event/activity/sport because they see potential customers at these events/activities/sports.

No spectators = no sponsors.

No spectators also equals no ROI which in turn means no bueno, plain and simple its not good business. Some people think that companies just throw around money and sponsor everything :|

i still don't get why most of you want dg to be some super big sport full of money and greed.

Seriously.

Disc golf has it all for me right now. It's cheap and the disc market is booming so we've got tons of great choices, with disc golf companies catering directly to the consumer. Disc golfers is all disc golf has. If that changes, this period in the sport will be known as a kind of golden age, a high water mark when the sport was about the players, not the spectators or sponsors.

Enjoy it!

Two words: Crashed Ice.

Few people compete and TONS of people come out to watch in the freezing cold of a mid winter night here in the hell we call St. Paul MN. One of 4 cities in the world which host the event.

Disc golf just doesn't have that appeal or WOW factor.
(think of all other red bull sponsored events-- no way in hell)

Please tell me wise one, what experience do I enjoy most about DG. since you're putting words in peoples mouths and what not.

i have no idea what you enjoy about anything other than ridiculing me for having a personal opinion....sorry if I offended you for disrupting your internet

Seriously.

Disc golf has it all for me right now. It's cheap and the disc market is booming so we've got tons of great choices, with disc golf companies catering directly to the consumer. Disc golfers is all disc golf has. If that changes, this period in the sport will be known as a kind of golden age, a high water mark when the sport was about the players, not the spectators or sponsors.

Enjoy it!

i like this

Latest posts