• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Tournament Option

I am against the deliberate and more or less forced monetarization of organized disc golf, which right now is more akin to a pyramid scheme than a professional sport.
Nobody's forcing anybody to participate in the status quo version of organized disc golf. Someone could always come along and do things differently. For whatever reason, those people's vision (and vision might be a generous term) doesn't get far beyond abstract ranting on internet message boards.

... I have problems acceptng that I HAVE to pay anything to play organized disc golf once I have payed my PDGA membership.

From the entrance fees. I am not against entrance fees.

Sorry for my confusion. I thought by "pay anything" you meant, well, pay anything.

Then you're just talking about the scope of the PDGA---what services it provides, how much they cost, and how they'll be paid. Membership fees alone won't cover it. Higher membership fees would (some other members would scream), or stripping down the services (some other members would scream). But at the current structure, it makes sense for both memberships and tournament fees to be sources of revenue, rather than all the revenue coming from one source. So everyone who wants to be a member contributes; those who play more tournaments, contribute a little more. About $3 per player, per event, for most tournaments.

I am against the deliberate and more or less forced monetarization of organized disc golf, which right now is more akin to a pyramid scheme than a professional sport.
I don't think so.

Let's look at it this way. If i pay $50 in dues per year, maybe i should get 2 free $25 tourney registrations of my choice. The TD's would report to the PDGA, and the PDGA would issue the TD's a very low % reimbursment for those people. But then what if I wanted to play in another (a 3rd)? Rightfully i should have to pay out of my own pocket.

So the current model is PDGA members earn a discount for Sanctioned tournaments. PDGA members pay $10 less to play in a tournament than non-members. So after 5 tournaments, i have accumulated a $50 discount. If i play more, i earn a accumulate a larger discount. This is how all credit card rewards systems are structured, all retail store rewards are structured, and heck even insurance plans are structured. So i'm struggling to see how this is a pyramid scheme.

:wall:

Um how?

A pyramid scheme is where people get people to buy in underneath them to profit the people higher up on the pyramid. A pyramid scheme would require multiple levels and even if your original premise was valid (which im my opinion it isn't) then there is only three levels... the player, the TD and the PDGA. That's one short pyramid my friend!

The beauty of the free market system is no one forces you to participate in the monetization of disc golf. You can go out and play for free any day of the week, but if you want to play in an organized event you've got to pay.

Honestly I think this whole argument that tournaments should be free is simply one of the most inane arguments I've even seen on here.

FWIW, if I was still a member, and someone came along and ran a $10 Am entry "fees only" sanctioned C-tier, i.e. no payout, no players packs, just cover the PDGA fees, insurance, and any fees associated with a local tour, course reservation, TD preparation expenses, hey, I'd be there.

But as to what's already been mentioned in this thread. If you're going to go that bare bones, why even bother with sanctioning? It would seem like a glorified multi-round league night, with formalized conduct restrictions regarding numerous things that many of us do at league.

Reading through TD Report Instructions, I found this:

Changes: - Players may request to enter selected divisions at reduced entry fees to play for "Trophy Only"
This option is available if the TD allows it. The suggested entry fee is 1/3 to 1/2 of the regular entry fee.

The TD can also run a charity event under the Endowment Program. No additional PDGA fees, or $10 non-member fee, and it can be low- or no-payout.

Reading through TD Report Instructions, I found this:

Changes: - Players may request to enter selected divisions at reduced entry fees to play for "Trophy Only"
This option is available if the TD allows it. The suggested entry fee is 1/3 to 1/2 of the regular entry fee.

This isn't really new. That option has been available for years, but since it is an option only "if the TD allows it", it has never really gotten much attention since many TDs feel it isn't in their best interest to offer a discounted trophy only option.

FWIW, if I was still a member, and someone came along and ran a $10 Am entry "fees only" sanctioned C-tier, i.e. no payout, no players packs, just cover the PDGA fees, insurance, and any fees associated with a local tour, course reservation, TD preparation expenses, hey, I'd be there.

But as to what's already been mentioned in this thread. If you're going to go that bare bones, why even bother with sanctioning? It would seem like a glorified multi-round league night, with formalized conduct restrictions regarding numerous things that many of us do at league.

I think this is the idea behind Sanctioning leagues, which can be done for $5 per person and you get a rating.