• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Power grip

powergrip01.jpg

taken from this article:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

I have read that the extra finger (pinkie) curled under actually reduces your distance.

I tried going with the 4 fingered power grip, but I found that using a 3 fingered power grip gave me some more snap. but then again I'm strugling pretty good with my game right now, so...

I tried going with the 4 fingered power grip, but I found that using a 3 fingered power grip gave me some more snap. but then again I'm strugling pretty good with my game right now, so...

I totally agree about the 3 fingered grip being superior to the four fingered grip.

The one thing that made the difference for me is not just the grip but how you hold your wrist. Grab the disc in the power grip and turn the nose of the disc down. Hold it so the line of the disc goes right up the center of your forearm. The best way to visualize this is hold the disc strait out in front of you with your arm strait. Then turn just your wrist down, as if your holding a fishing rod and your making a short cast. Then just hold that position of your wrist and throw. It feels strange at first, but it will allow you to use the power grip more effectively and also will keep you from releasing the disc too high, will keep the nose down.

i use the power grip and i can say it works ok for me but im going to change up my grip next time i throw and have my index finger on the rim of the disc to see if that gives me controlled distance with good accuracy. but your best bet is to change up your grip to find out which one is best for you.

the image below was taken from the innova website and is a different version of the powergrip

6qh7hf.jpg
to me this is not a three finger power grip , maybe thats what dave says, but forget about it.

3 finger power grip = no pinky
the above grip is not a power grip in my mind, maybe a powerful putter grip?

i'd rather only have my forefinger under the disc if my other option is the above pic

3 finger power grip = no pinky
the above grip is not a power grip in my mind, maybe a powerful putter grip?

i'd rather only have my forefinger under the disc if my other option is the above pic
your right ,thats my old putter grip in that pic . Now i use the 4 finger power grip to putt.

I love the real 3 finger PG , i get a buttload of spin using it.

I've been using the 3 finger for quite a while but after someone posted this over on the building distance thread I decided to try it this weekend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAV8kKURKaw.

I had all 4 fingers under, the ring finger stacked on top of the pinky and the birdie finger just kinda there for the ride. My buddies were looking at me like I was crazy because my drives have been pretty good lately. It didn't seem to cost me any distance but it did seem to be easier to get proper pressure on the disc with less effort and it seemed like it helped with accuracy a little. ...bottom line I think it's a good improvement.

I've always used the excuse that I have small hands and every time before I tried the 4-finger it looked like a monkey trying to copulate with a football so maybe some other things needed improving in my technique before it would work?

Having your thumb forward and the disc oriented correctly in your hand is what's really important. If you have everything else right then where your thumb ends up on the disc probably won't make a big difference unless it messes something else up.

Tagging onto the video and garub's post I moved my thumb in away from the rim a half a thumb width while keeping the thumb forward. Again it seemed to have no adverse affects and may have helped keep the nose down.

Somebody on this forum encouraged me to change to a 4 finger because they saw an increase in distance and accuracy when they did it. Anybody else experienced this?

Somebody on this forum encouraged me to change to a 4 finger because they saw an increase in distance and accuracy when they did it. Anybody else experienced this?
i experienced that but in opposite, the 3 finger has not only increased my distance but also my control.But i think thats what great about everyone giving their own opinion and not just "this is what the pros do so this is correct" statement .

Thats why when ever i suggest something its what i do not what i think is correct , if it helps you fine if it dosnt oh well what somebody else suggests will work then.

i experienced that but in opposite, the 3 finger has not only increased my distance but also my control.But i think thats what great about everyone giving their own opinion and not just "this is what the pros do so this is correct" statement .

Thats why when ever i suggest something its what i do not what i think is correct , if it helps you fine if it dosnt oh well what somebody else suggests will work then.

Yeah I should probably make my signature, "Your mileage may vary..." :)

results not typical , objects closer than they appear , not for use on genital warts , the views expressed within omegas posts are his and his alone and are not the views of dgcr or its sponsers and we do not condone animal romance in any of its forms.