• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy Plastics - Comprehensive

Hoss22

Eagle Member
There may already be something like this. Apologies on my laziness. But, i was hoping to get a comprehensive list of ALL the prodigy plastics and their comparison. IE is 400 like champion or opto plastic?

The main reason I ask is in looking at switching putters. I have the harp for overstable (driving mainly) and want something slightly less stable than a harp that can beat i can beat the heck out of so I can carry 4 putters ranging from slightly overstable to understable. Of course (I think) this puts me at a PA1, but not knowing a lick about prodigy and especially the plastics, I was looking for some input.

So, what are all the plastic types & what do they compare to. And maybe a further focus on putters if you have the time.

KCCO

300 - base plastic, DX equiv
350 - stiff mid grade plastice, kc pro equiv
400 - champ/z equiv
400g - more durable 400
750 - production runs have been pretty rigid and stiff, protos were a bit softer. supposedly more durable than 400g and in my limited experience molds seem to fly more overstable in this plastic compared to others

300 - Pretty stiff base plastic, super good grip and not very durable.
350 - Even stiffer base plastic, super good grip and not very durable.
400 - Closest to gummy champion/opto/cryztal. A bit rubbery and quite grippy for a champ/z type plastic, but not super flexible which is nice.
400g - Slightly stiffer but otherwise extremely similar to 400, so highly grippy.
750 - Very stiff 400, more stiff than the vast majority of champ/z. Feels more like champ/z than the more unique feeling 400/400g.

So there isn't a star/fuzion type plastic? They are all just kind of like the opto/z plastics?

Side note... What is the rim depth of the pa1 comparable to? Pure? Warden? Challenger? Aviar?

Nah not really, the 400/400g plastic is actually really unique and wonderful. The Pa1 is similar in depth/speed to a wizard. a little faster/shallower than an aviar/challenger, definitely a bit slower/deeper than a pure. All their putters really feel great. I like the Pa3 best in feel and flight for all around throws. The Pa4 is like a shallower slightly more stable magic perfect for putting and most upshots. The Pa1 and Pa2 are both also super comfy and plenty overstable so you can just pick which of the two you prefer the feel of, for me that would be a tough choice.

Bump.

I want to add my increasing liking and respect for Prodigy plastics. They are really good.

The 300 is stiff (which I like in my putters) and seems to be more durable than Innova DX and Dynamic Discs' Classic series of plastics. The 350 plastic feels okay though I personally like 300 more.

The 400 feels like somewhere between Champion and Star, maybe like Opo or GL, and the 400G is a bit more like Star or Gold Line IMHO, and feels really good. Seems durable so far, as well.

I have not tried the 750 though I got to hold some 750 plastic discs in the store. The 750 feels good, like a good quality Opto or Champion plastic. I'm betting its the bees' knees for durability.

I suddenly seem to have a growing bag of Prodigy discs, and it's at least partially due to these awesome plastics. Check 'em out!

400g is the closest to a star plastic. Has better grip than star.

Yup. 400G is close to star but still very unique and different then the other star like blends out there. I would almost compare it to that innova champy-star transitional stuff you run into occationally. Its a great blend

300 - base plastic, DX equivalent..with more grip.
350 - stiffer version of 300, kc pro equivalent.
400 - champ/z/opto
400g - champy star/star/fuzion (a bit more stiff than 400)
750 - Stiffer 400 plastic (more stiff than 400g)

I would also say that 400/400g/750 are all equally durable. All 3 are also very durable.

Fixed

Bump.

I want to add my increasing liking and respect for Prodigy plastics. They are really good.

The 300 is stiff (which I like in my putters) and seems to be more durable than Innova DX and Dynamic Discs' Classic series of plastics. The 350 plastic feels okay though I personally like 300 more.

The 400 feels like somewhere between Champion and Star, maybe like Opo or GL, and the 400G is a bit more like Star or Gold Line IMHO, and feels really good. Seems durable so far, as well.

I have not tried the 750 though I got to hold some 750 plastic discs in the store. The 750 feels good, like a good quality Opto or Champion plastic. I'm betting its the bees' knees for durability.

I suddenly seem to have a growing bag of Prodigy discs, and it's at least partially due to these awesome plastics. Check 'em out!

My 750 M4 is quite possibly my favorite disc I've ever owned. SUCH pure flight. I also have a 750 F2, PA1 (back when 750 was called "TEAM" plastic), and H4. I love the 750 plastic. It's what KC Pro would be in an ultra premium blend. Effing love it!

My 750 M4 is quite possibly my favorite disc I've ever owned. SUCH pure flight. I also have a 750 F2, PA1 (back when 750 was called "TEAM" plastic), and H4. I love the 750 plastic. It's what KC Pro would be in an ultra premium blend. Effing love it!

I posted in the "Prodigy M5" thread about the M4 I found at PIAS today. Used, but no ink (until I put my phone number on it!), half price of the online prices of brand new ones. It says "first run" on top of the disc. It says "M4G" on rim underside, so I'm pretty sure it's a first-run M4 in 400G plastic.

It feels great in the hand, and while I haven't had a chance to test it (rain from Hurricane Pamela passing through here today), I'm looking forward to trying it out alongside the 300 M5.

I would also say that 400/400g/750 are all equally durable. All 3 are also very durable.

Fixed

^^^ This is very correct. I still have quite a few of the same discs in my bag I did a year ago when I first got picked up by Prodigy and they are only now showing little signs of wear. The plastic is all extremely durable, especially at max weights. Some of my lighter weighted drivers have broke in a bit faster than the max weight ones. If you don't like cycling through plastic a bunch, Prodigy plastic is the way to go!

I posted in the "Prodigy M5" thread about the M4 I found at PIAS today. Used, but no ink (until I put my phone number on it!), half price of the online prices of brand new ones. It says "first run" on top of the disc. It says "M4G" on rim underside, so I'm pretty sure it's a first-run M4 in 400G plastic.

It feels great in the hand, and while I haven't had a chance to test it (rain from Hurricane Pamela passing through here today), I'm looking forward to trying it out alongside the 300 M5.

Ooh. My gal has family in south Texas on the Mexico border and they're fighting the rain as well. (as well as last weeks storm that came in from the gulf) The 400G M4s are phenomenal, but the 750 comes out with a dead flat-top and flies like a dream. If you ever see a 750, I would highly recommend it. My favorite turnover disc I've ever thrown!

^^^ This is very correct. I still have quite a few of the same discs in my bag I did a year ago when I first got picked up by Prodigy and they are only now showing little signs of wear. The plastic is all extremely durable, especially at max weights. Some of my lighter weighted drivers have broke in a bit faster than the max weight ones. If you don't like cycling through plastic a bunch, Prodigy plastic is the way to go!

Marcos is dead on. I have a 400G Big Jerm Distance Record D3 that I've had for a little over a year. I've driven that sucker into so many trees, skipped off countless paths, and banged plenty of pins with and it still flies just as true as when I got it. Same as my first 750 M4. After a year of use (5-6 rounds per week) and throwing it on at least 50% of the holes, it does not change flight one bit. I also have a pair of 400s D2s have all been in my bag for two years now as my main max D drivers and I still can't tell any difference in flight. The plastic feels a little softer than new discs, but the flight is just as predictable.

As always, Prodigy has THE BEST premium plastic on the market. Hands down.

Cheers.

Is the "proto" plastic always a certain plastic? In specific, i'm wondering which prodigy plastic my proto PA1 is in.

Is the "proto" plastic always a certain plastic? In specific, i'm wondering which prodigy plastic my proto PA1 is in.

No. Proto only signifies that it is before the first "production" run of that model and plastic type. Several molds have changed and some Protos are more valuable for that reason.

However, any given Proto may be a 300, 350, 400s, 400g, 750, or even "TEAM" plastic. I have "proto" stamped discs in all but "Team" - which was the original name for 750 plastic as I understand.

Lots of discs are stamped "Team" on the flightplate, but if you find one that is sharpied "TEAM" next to the weight and model name (EG: "D3-175-TEAM" on my Jerm Stamped), that was (as I am told) pre-release 750 plastic. Super cool collector as a Prodigy fan-boi! :D :thmbup:

Hmm...my 400G M4 is weird, glossy-oily slick flight plate, but matte-grippy edge all around, about 1 inch in...which might work out okay cuz right where the thumb goes. 400G PA3 is sweet, nice and grippy with slight peal effect.

Looks like Prodigy's day 1 consistency issues are still there.

Thanks for dropping some knowledge!
Are all individual protos the same plastic? i.e. Are all proto m4s the same plastic?

Thanks for dropping some knowledge!
Are all individual protos the same plastic? i.e. Are all proto m4s the same plastic?

Not sure. My proto M4 is 400g, so if anyone posts here saying they have a proto in 400s or 300, then you'll have your answer....

Latest posts