• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reachback Timing / Introduction

RingingChains

First my introduction:
I've been poking around (lurking) these forums for going on 2 years, mainly focused on learning technique. I first picked up the sport as a solitary activity (no one I know plays), but hope to eventually get involved in the local social scene once my skills reach a respectable level. My development has been slow as I only make it out to the course/field once or twice a month. However, I'd like to think I have surpassed the Noob stage at this point and am developing a somewhat consistent form/release. I am currently throwing mids about 175-200 from a standstill and can push that to closer to 225 with a run-up. Fairway drivers get out to 250ish (I know, I know... leave the drivers in the bag for now).

This weekend was the first time I was brave enough to record/watch my throws for some self-analysis. I was pleased to see that what feels like a random series of separate spastic events during execution actually looks fairly similar to what I see from the pros on Youtube. The first big difference that jumped out at me in my X-step was something I never thought of (or can recall seeing specific instruction on) while learning it– which brings me to my timing question below. I plan to continue recording/reviewing my form as I progress and will post it for the form critique crowd when it is ready for fine tuning – but right now I'm just looking for obvious faults and easy corrections.

Reachback timing question (apologies if I have missed previous discussions):
In a 3 step BH X-step, I see the pros begin the reachback while transitioning between step 2 and step 3 (plant foot). In reviewing videos of myself, I noticed I am reaching back between step 1 and 2 (back to target), then leaving my arm drag behind as I take the 3rd (plant step). The resulting position at the point of acceleration seems to be the same, but I'm concerned I am leaving distance/accuracy on the table by doing it this way. I'm assuming my way is wrong (because I suck), but I'm wondering if this particular aspect is significant to good form? In other words, should I bother relearning this portion of my run-up or should I just focus on the more common issues (rotation sequence, weight transfer, nose angle…)?

Reachback timing question (apologies if I have missed previous discussions):
In a 3 step BH X-step, I see the pros begin the reachback while transitioning between step 2 and step 3 (plant foot). In reviewing videos of myself, I noticed I am reaching back between step 1 and 2 (back to target), then leaving my arm drag behind as I take the 3rd (plant step). The resulting position at the point of acceleration seems to be the same, but I'm concerned I am leaving distance/accuracy on the table by doing it this way. I'm assuming my way is wrong (because I suck), but I'm wondering if this particular aspect is significant to good form? In other words, should I bother relearning this portion of my run-up or should I just focus on the more common issues (rotation sequence, weight transfer, nose angle…)?

That should definitely be corrected now. It will likely fix several other problems that you are experiencing. You are reaching back instead of allowing the disc to swing behind you. Do a search for "dingle arm". Sidewinder has some nice youtube videos that will help you get a feel for it.

More discussion can be found here... http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91096&highlight=dingle+arm

Work your way backwards, everything is mirrored from the backswing to the finish, back and forth the sequence and rhythm.

That's what I was afraid of. It was seeing that forward disc pump side by side with my throw that made me realize that I was way out of sequence.

Door Frame Pt3 will be a perfect drill to relearn the X-step around the disc. I'm not sure how I missed that one months ago (I guess I thought I had learned all I could from a door frame in the first 2 :doh:).

Hopefully, this will be the next "Aha!" change for me. Thanks, all.

Don't achieve your furthest reach back until your plant foot is hitting the ground.

Don't plant and have forward arm motion, instead have full leg extension forward (plant) with full arm extension reaching back. Then start to uncoil.