• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] reassessing my bag

lovebecause

Bogey Member
My current drive distance is 280 on my best day. I would like to throw consistently 300 and I'd be happy with that. I currently throw a Discraft Avenger SS 175g and a Innova Mamba 165g. The Avenger SS I have to throw on a hyzer release so it doesn't flex too much. The Mamba will go 280 but could go 300 If I got my form down, but if I don't throw it right it will go about 250 with 50-75 feet fade if not more. I've learned at lighter discs I can throw them further from study. I don't want to go below the 160g mark and am thinking I'd like a discraft disc to throw since I like a lot of their makes and models. I also throw a Innova Leopard G* plastic 175g I cannot throw this disc to the flight pattern, it mainly goes straight with a small fade at the end. I did have a dx gazelle that I loved but was too flippy after a while, I could throw that one 300 on a rare occasion. In conclusion I am open to other brand options, I just know I like Discraft so far. This is year 4-5 of playing disc golf with lots of practice.

If 5 years of "lots of practice" is producing 280 yards of distance, then I think the best thing to do is record yourself and see what's going on with your form. Posting to the Form Analysis section should get you some solid feedback. That's going to be the quickest way to get you breaking 300 feet regularly.

If 5 years of "lots of practice" is producing 280 yards of distance, then I think the best thing to do is record yourself and see what's going on with your form.

Because you have stumbled onto some physiological magic that needs to be understood.

Because you have stumbled onto some physiological magic that needs to be understood.

Not sure if your sarcasm is aimed at me or the OP, but most people find a way to strong arm 300 ft even with fairly poor form. So if the OP is getting less than that even after working on trying to improve, then he's probably doing something weird in how he throws. It's hard to recommend discs to someone if you're not sure if he's throwing with decent form but physically unable to create speed, or with crappy form but decent power, etc.

Not sure if your sarcasm is aimed at me or the OP, but most people find a way to strong arm 300 ft even with fairly poor form. So if the OP is getting less than that even after working on trying to improve, then he's probably doing something weird in how he throws. It's hard to recommend discs to someone if you're not sure if he's throwing with decent form but physically unable to create speed, or with crappy form but decent power, etc.

Re-read your post

Yeah...best to get feedback on the throw. Avenger SS, Leo, Mamba are all good discs for lower-intermediate power players and are also all capable of gliding very far with good form. The discs aren't limiting you if your goal is to get another 25'.

I agree that something must be off with your form but that can be said about most people including myself. To answer your question, I might would suggest a lightish Discraft Heat in ESP or Big Z for distance and a Sting as a less stable Leo.

With 280', everyone is right. Discs aren't the answer. Throwing slower, neutral discs to help your form would likely be your best bet. Take a month (depending on how often you play - say 15-20 rounds) and only throw neutral mids and putters. Try to release flat, slow down your swing, focus on keeping the disc level through your pull, and make note of your body's rotation from toes to frosted tips. I'm no big arm, but I have decent enough form to get a mid out to 280' easily. If you throw slow, stable (not overstable) discs for a month, then go back to a full bag you'll be shocked at the improvement in both distance and accuracy. I recommend something like a Roc3, MD3, Truth or Buzzz, depending on your brand choice. Work on form, not trying to find a disc that will cover up technique.

I would first ask the OP's age and physical condition. Older like me and many others? Had an injury in the past that inhibits good throwing form?

I would first ask the OP's age and physical condition. Older like me and many others? Had an injury in the past that inhibits good throwing form?

Yes this is very important.

But even so, with Mamba, Avenger SS, and Gstar Leo the only other go to disc suggestion in that distance range would be a Roadrunner/Sidewinder and it's the "same class" of disc to me in the middle of those speed ranges.

I'll put it this way, if someone was throwing 280' and it was with Champ Terns and Champ Teebirds, then there are A LOT of discs in between that could really help out potentially. In this case I think OP has some of the best suited discs for that arm speed already.

^^^^^^^^My thoughts exactly. That's why I suggested that the OP post a video in the Form Technicque forum. Since he's already using some great noodle arm discs, it leads me to believe that any real distance gains would come from technique rather than a change of discs. It's not like he's throwing a Justice and a Firebird...he's already bagging great discs for his skill level.

^^^^^^^^My thoughts exactly. That's why I suggested that the OP post a video in the Form Technicque forum. Since he's already using some great noodle arm discs, it leads me to believe that any real distance gains would come from technique rather than a change of discs. It's not like he's throwing a Justice and a Firebird...he's already bagging great discs for his skill level.

Or she's, her...

Yes this is very important.

But even so, with Mamba, Avenger SS, and Gstar Leo the only other go to disc suggestion in that distance range would be a Roadrunner/Sidewinder and it's the "same class" of disc to me in the middle of those speed ranges.

I'll put it this way, if someone was throwing 280' and it was with Champ Terns and Champ Teebirds, then there are A LOT of discs in between that could really help out potentially. In this case I think OP has some of the best suited discs for that arm speed already.

Agree with you about the discs. I was wondering about age and physical health to help determine some things. First, my brother can't throw a disc backhand well due to an old rotator cuff injury from skiing, so he has to forehand discs. If there is an injury or other body issue involved, that might suggest the type of disc or discing down. Second, if the OP is older, particularly over 50, then he (or she, deyo) might be maxing out as it is...

Agree with you about the discs. I was wondering about age and physical health to help determine some things. First, my brother can't throw a disc backhand well due to an old rotator cuff injury from skiing, so he has to forehand discs. If there is an injury or other body issue involved, that might suggest the type of disc or discing down. Second, if the OP is older, particularly over 50, then he (or she, deyo) might be maxing out as it is...

Those are good points. I recently taught both my dad and father-in-law how to play, and both are in their late 50's/early 60's. I tried teaching backhand and both could only throw about as far as I putt. I'm a terrible forehander myself, but eventually decided to just show them the bare basics of flicking and they took to it much more quickly. Point being, it didn't matter what discs I handed to them because their current body-types and age prevented a very athletic backhand. Their form could be clean as a whistle and they probably still wouldn't be able to backhand more than 175'.

OP -- after reading your post again I see that your Leopard is a max weight G*. If I would suggest any discs at all, it would be to try out a DX Leopard in a lower weight. Worst case scenario is you now have a Leo that will complement your G*. Best case scenario is that lower stability/weight may get you a few extra feet of distance. But I really don't think trying new molds will help you, you've already got some great ones for your arm speed.

Play rounds with only a putter (something Neutral or flippy like a Challenger SS or Magnet, APX, or the new Luna, hell even a Ratt'ler if you're into lids) and a mid-range disc (again, neutral/flippy like a Buzzz (SS), Meteor or a Comet depending on the feel you like) once you get these going as far as your max D of 280' (or yards *wink*) then get a fairway driver like a Heat or a Mantis and continue to go up like that.

P.S. I only used these molds because you said you liked DC there are thousands of other discs ypu can pick from

Last edited:
OP do you throw in lots of wind? If not, going to sub 150 gram versions of your favorite discs, or maybe discs the next slot up in stability could help.

It seems to work for shorter arm throwers I know. Especially ones who are older or have smaller statures.

Working with slower speed discs for awhile or even every few rounds is a good idea too!