• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rick’s super simple 500’ throw

The only thing I am trying to say is that, personally, conceptualizing the 'hit' as the goal of the swing helps me tie everything prior to that together.

Trying to learn the swing by thinking about all of the upstream momentum being caused by 'positions' was a big wrong turn for me. Focusing on generating late snap caused me to start having better full body mechanics, intuitively.

This is part of my more current structure of late swing focus vs earlier in the swing focus.
I think those things are important, but I don't think some of the late swing stuff is really focused on enough.

I need to get back on it for my swing too. I've been throwing lazy the last bit because my back is angry.

400' is a long toss if its a legit, flat ground golf shot, and this is the only kind of shot that I personally feel one should claim as their distance. I don't think it can be accomplished without a solid, well-rounded swing that is at least getting a reasonable hit/snap as well.

Most people at a local league I go to would definitely settle for this type of shot, and lots of them are no where close. Just based on the nature of lots of questions asked here, Id wager that most people visiting this forum also don't have 400' of consistent, useful distance.

A lot of the things I say are aimed at those people. I don't have anything to say beyond that kind of distance because I can't throw much farther than that lol. I do know that the game became a lot more fun once I had a fundamental grasp of a couple of concepts, most of my statements are simply trying to explain how I personally got over this hump.

I'd honestly be happy with a 400 foot on demand controlled golf shot. I want to be 100% consistent in my play, not wild and crazy. Plus I know my injuries give me some limitations in how hard I can push my body in the throw.

But most people out there throw 300-350 on average. They get on the internet and say they throw 450 or 500.
But that was that one time at that one place down hill in a tail wind and they managed to not suck.

I play with a few guys who think they are bombers and, they rarely throw over 350 when they really try and smash on it, but their throws are so ... aggressive, muscled and. yeah.

I also try and draw a lot of my comments of the sorts from the field, and being such a large community where I play/live, I have a lot of bad examples to pull from. And some good ones as well.

This is why I think it's important for people to pick goals. Mine became to throw with a mechanically sound, safe swing that also happens to help me throw farther with less effort. I also want to be throwing for a long time. But I've had to be willing to initially lose some distance several times when breaking it down and building back up again. I imagine that cycle will continue to some extent for a while and it looks like that's the case for many players.

And the forces involved in "the good swing" are no joke.

This is so important, but getting it driven into somebodies head is the hardest thing. They are more concerned with birdies and parking the hole and throwing far.
VS throwing good, throwing safe and playing clean golf.

I mean, we all want the birdies, we all wanna park the hole. But... At the cost of your shoulder? Cause you throw bad form? Yeah, you lost distance, but it will come back. Chilllllll. hahaha

Buddy is on the shoulder struggle, and he's got a really muscled style throw. Its a really clean muscled throw vs others, but still is mostly shoulder.
And with him doing something dumb and hurting his shoulder, it caught him yesterday finally. Been trying to get him to throw ligher flippy discs and he's coming into it, but I cannot get him away from his cranks yet. And he gets so frustrated throwing shorter distances. it's like bro, give it time.

For sure. I'm not saying it takes perfect form to throw 400', but some things have to be going right to do it. Even just 400' of 'wherever the eff it goes on whatever line' takes some power.

A 400' shot on a deliberate golf line that lands accurately in the fairway in an actual round? That implies a whole heck of a lot going right. When I look at people playing around me, that is certainly not what the average person is pulling off.

I guess I shouldn't read too much into the 'internet distance' discussions, because people are probably talking about wildly different versions of a 400' throw lol.

Well, it doesn't take "perfect" form to throw 400. But it takes a TON of correct mechanics to throw 400. I keep slipping back and forth between 300 and 450. And that's frustrating as can be. Some days I can reach them out there, and other days its a Derp derp throw.

But something as simple as good form at 350 and changing a nose angle can push you to 400+.
Nose angle and disc choice is part of the few most important things to getting over 400. 1° of nose angle can be the difference of 375 feet and 450 feet. It's stupid, annoying and frustrating.

Totally. I don't count them personally unless they're intentional hyzerflip lines because that's where I always seem to find my low effort power stroke and since I'm obsessive I like having a standard yardstick. When I throw farther wildly it kinda feels like I'm kidding myself (just me personally). I've had some very long unintended rollers that were inspirational, but then I'm like "well yeah, but the target was over there..."

Yeah, lots of people claim their distance from their "wild" throws.
Thats why I generally tell people I throw 350.
I can generally control 350. When I'm hitting 450, it could be an accurate day, it could be a wild day, but I cannot pull it out of the bag every time, so its not my distance.

Yar.

Ugh I'm not trying to be the distance police and if I came across that way to anyone I apologize.

This little offshoot of discussion was just based on the comment about 400' being generated from two qualitatively different swings, and that just isn't something in the actual world of humans throwing plastic that I observe.

That same comment made about 250', sure. There are some truly insane ways to throw a disc 250', even with accuracy.

The people I see throwing 400', accurately, on the desired angle though, they have a lot of similarity in their forms. Even sitting here watching Worlds lol...that kind of shot is sick at ANY level of play and is not trivial.

I don't think anyone grabbed you on distance police there. no worries.

Latest posts