• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ridiculously overpriced disc of the day...

I find it funny how some people will spend lots of money on a fancy watch, buy expensive shoes, have high end gear for other hobbies and then want the cheapest frisbee they can find.

Any item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Just because you or I wouldn't pay it, doesn't mess that thing isn't worth more to someone else.

Whether a certain stamp or run is more important to someone, or maybe they just don't feel like looking for a better price somewhere else.

Anyone who's bought a beer at a ball park has paid arguably stupid prices, but that's what the market bears on those situations.

But as long as there are gulla-bull people who can be fooled simply by using the words "rare," "vintage," or "limited" when listing an ordinary stock item, without realizing it's not such a special item, you can count on some sellers looking to take advantage.

Still fun to see the craziness, though.

I find it funny how some people will spend lots of money on a fancy watch, buy expensive shoes, have high end gear for other hobbies and then want the cheapest frisbee they can find.

Out of all of my hobbies and interests disc golf is by far the cheapest.

I get that part of the appeal is that it takes very little money to get into the sport and I'm sure there are those people out there that enjoy it for that reason.

But, there are people playing who have the expendable income that if there is a disc they really want then spending $40+ to get it isn't going to have them eating ramen for a week.

It seems the tour series discs are special editions and limited runs and such are probably catering to the people who want the fancier or more unique equipment and are willing to pay a little extra to get it.

For those on a tight budget or those who are just frugal it is still a cheap hobby and base plastic discs can still be found for less than $10.

To each their own when it comes to spending their hard earned money.

But, there are people playing who have the expendable income that if there is a disc they really want then spending $40+ to get it isn't going to have them eating ramen for a week.

At least for me it is always amusing when someone throws a 100 disc to the water or shatters on a cold day.

I tend to mention they should have used a $5 disc for that shot instead. :)

At least for me it is always amusing when someone throws a 100 disc to the water or shatters on a cold day.

I tend to mention they should have used a $5 disc for that shot instead. :)

Ha. I play with a guy that bags and Iron Samurai 2. He loves it and throws it well but won't pull it out on certain courses or holes for fear of losing it.

I've lost several "rare" discs over the years but I never paid secondary market prices for them so none of them were more than $25 out of pocket. (I actually quit bagging the Doimbirds after losing three of them. Any time I had a risky shot I always seemed to reach for one of them and occasionally it didn't work out.)

I visited Disc Golf Depot in SE Portland yesterday. The state of the place is unrecognizable - they can't keep hardly anything full production in stock. I noticed standard Z plastic Thrashers were going for $20. A few years ago, all his champ-equivalent plastic was $12.99.

One thing I did notice was that they had significant overstock of tour series. A full shelf of everything from NS FBs to Finley Makos, plus literal stacks of those in the back.

Firstly, I want to make it clear I don't blame Jerry for what's going on with the supply and demand - I overheard from his employee that they are literally buying everything they can.

With that in mind though, what is the deal with this weird glut of tour series? Anyone else notice that it's pretty much tour series and boutique runs which are available via brick and mortar right now? Have the big disc producers realized that they might as well run color glow and swirly star with special stamps almost exclusively, knowing it will sell out at 1.5 the price? Maybe I am answering my own questions here.

I did have a chat about the R2 neutron from MVP, sounds like it's a new recycled blend. My response was that it seems like recycled plastics ala Echostar died in favor of swirly star. Why sell the grounded plastic at economy prices when you can again, throw a special run stamp in the machine and sell poopy star for 1.5 typical retail?

I'm only a little bitter. Kind of a bummer overall not to be able to just go pick up my favorite out of a stack of 10 Underworlds in various plastics, for example.

Out of all of my hobbies and interests disc golf is by far the cheapest.

I get that part of the appeal is that it takes very little money to get into the sport and I'm sure there are those people out there that enjoy it for that reason.

It seems the tour series discs are special editions and limited runs and such are probably catering to the people who want the fancier or more unique equipment and are willing to pay a little extra to get it.

For those on a tight budget or those who are just frugal it is still a cheap hobby and base plastic discs can still be found for less than $10.

To each their own when it comes to spending their hard earned money.

I'm not big on stamps, but I do like certain plastics which do require you to pay more for. Color Glow Champion, Halo Star, etc.

I visited Disc Golf Depot in SE Portland yesterday. The state of the place is unrecognizable - they can't keep hardly anything full production in stock. I noticed standard Z plastic Thrashers were going for $20. A few years ago, all his champ-equivalent plastic was $12.99.

One thing I did notice was that they had significant overstock of tour series. A full shelf of everything from NS FBs to Finley Makos, plus literal stacks of those in the back.

Firstly, I want to make it clear I don't blame Jerry for what's going on with the supply and demand - I overheard from his employee that they are literally buying everything they can.

With that in mind though, what is the deal with this weird glut of tour series? Anyone else notice that it's pretty much tour series and boutique runs which are available via brick and mortar right now? Have the big disc producers realized that they might as well run color glow and swirly star with special stamps almost exclusively, knowing it will sell out at 1.5 the price? Maybe I am answering my own questions here.

I did have a chat about the R2 neutron from MVP, sounds like it's a new recycled blend. My response was that it seems like recycled plastics ala Echostar died in favor of swirly star. Why sell the grounded plastic at economy prices when you can again, throw a special run stamp in the machine and sell poopy star for 1.5 typical retail?

I'm only a little bitter. Kind of a bummer overall not to be able to just go pick up my favorite out of a stack of 10 Underworlds in various plastics, for example.

My local retailer last week said they literally couldn't buy anything either. You are right that Discraft with the Ledgestone releases and Innova with their Tour series maybe prioritized those just to make sure their big tourney and players get first dibs. Production stuff is hard to get for sure.

This thread is a pleasant reminder that I have more than enough plastic to last me until I'm done playing and never need to buy another disc again. I do feel bad for newer players, but thankfully it's not my worry.

The gloat post. :)

The gloat post. :)

I'll allow it. :D

After years of feeling like an out of control plastic addict it is nice to finally have a valid excuse for all those extras and back-ups. No more shame of boxes of discs sitting in the closet. Now we are like the doomsday preppers of plastic artifacts smartly planning ahead. :D:hfive:

After years of feeling like an out of control plastic addict it is nice to finally have a valid excuse for all those extras and back-ups. No more shame of boxes of discs sitting in the closet. Now we are like the doomsday preppers of plastic artifacts smartly planning ahead. :D:hfive:

Oh, I wish I could say that planning had anything to do with my shiny, golden, glittering hoard of discs. Truth be told, I just think these hunks of plastic are cool. I'm more like a magpie than a prepper. I won't feel bad about that.

Plus, some of these discs just beg to be thrown, set free to fly through the air. I finally got my PDGA member discs, and the swirly Streamline Pilot with the Owl stamp? It's the color of lost, but I want an excuse for it to make my bag. Maybe once a few of my others get beat in a little more.

I tried unloading my stack of FDs the other day and honestly just didn't find it worth it.

I figured if I could turn each one into two brand new discs, I'd give it a shot and get out of bagging OOP plastic.

Just too much hassle TBH, and as it turns out TLs are nowhere in stock anyway, and that's what I was going to replace them with.

There's a place that wants to grade discs like they're baseball cards now :|

1988 PDGA World Champion John Ahart tried this once and got people from across the country to pay him money and send him all of their most prized and rarest discs to him to grade out.

He then disappeared with all those people's discs. :mad::confused:

I believe some of the discs were recovered after quite some time of tracking him down, but not sure if there was ever any final resolution.

I tried unloading my stack of FDs the other day and honestly just didn't find it worth it.

I figured if I could turn each one into two brand new discs, I'd give it a shot and get out of bagging OOP plastic.

Just too much hassle TBH, and as it turns out TLs are nowhere in stock anyway, and that's what I was going to replace them with.

Innova stock is getting as bad as Discraft these days

Oh, I wish I could say that planning had anything to do with my shiny, golden, glittering hoard of discs. Truth be told, I just think these hunks of plastic are cool. I'm more like a magpie than a prepper. I won't feel bad about that.

Plus, some of these discs just beg to be thrown, set free to fly through the air. I finally got my PDGA member discs, and the swirly Streamline Pilot with the Owl stamp? It's the color of lost, but I want an excuse for it to make my bag. Maybe once a few of my others get beat in a little more.

My good sense: you can barely throw the 5 molds you bag right now, you don't need more plastic.
Ancestral chimp instincts: hoo hoo frisbee shiny scare predators attract mates

Latest posts