• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Rollers, max weight is best?

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Just guessing that you'd want a heavy disc for good rollers.

Right or wrong?

Correct, a heavy disc will be less affected by undulated ground, also will be more steady and hold it's line better. Light disc gets derailed quickly by undulated ground. Also seems finnicky to me.

Just guessing that you'd want a heavy disc for good rollers.

Right or wrong?

Depends on the type of roller you are, Brother Uses a 168 gram Roadrunner as he needs a lighter disc but not too light or too heavy to do a roller.

I am thinking about getting a new DX Dragon all are about 150 grams and using the old one to be my roller disc. I am not sure on that though but I can find those easy enough in Walmart's in the USA and at the local place doing mostly Innova and the other discs from that factory. More so from the Local Walmart as the local sports store sells the Hydra and Wahoo as its floating discs. The few Dragons just sit there as the disc so flippy and you have to have the right throw for the disc. The Dragon I have is last PFN disc when the transition was happining in early 2010's. I would write old on the old disc and then eventually when new is beat up too much do a rotate the newer if I get one, for a newer and former new gets old written on it. I have thought about doing this but am not 100% yet or I just keep using the Dragon I have now for a water and downwind disc till it is too gone then get a Hydra for a floater disc and driving putter.

Last edited:
The heaviest day sc you can reliably get down how you want is the ideal.

Heavier is less affected by ground and wind conditions. But if you have to go too flippy to get it down, you'll turn over right more easily. I like a max weight pair of Roadrunners—one flippier (to get down faster/in a tailwind/to get further right) and one fresh (to hold straight longer, cut roll, or work longer and lefter) for my rollers.

I switched from a 174 sidewinder to a 166 mongoose, it's what I already had, didn't notice much difference for my style and how infrequently I get out.

If you have the arm speed to use max weight, then yes. The roll/turn will be a lot more consistent.

If you have trouble getting a max weight disc down properly, lighter is fine and will work well. Of course you probably don't want to roll sub 160g discs though.

Max weight is probably better, objectively speaking. However, I roll discs that I also throw air shots with (Panther, AvengerSS, Renegade), and I prefer weights in the upper 160 class, so that is how I roll (literally), and they've done fine for me; indeed, better than my 174g Fury, which wouldn't be a bad roller choice.

Heavy discs also have more Inertia to cut through grass; even more true if the grass is wet.

If you cant get a heavy disc down with whatever mold it is that you are using, get a max weight Signal...that will be all you need.

Last edited:
However, if you want your disc to, say, roll in the opposite direction, going lighter weight helps.
I found this out on accident when I threw a lighter firebird flick roller off the tee & instead of turning left, it went right.
Thought that was weird, so on another hole, I tried it again, and sure enough, it turned right instead of left.
Now, that was on just two throws. Once my shoulder heals & I can go back to throwing my normal shot, I will give it the field test to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

^That's a cut roller. It went right instead of left because the outside rim wasn't vertical enough when contacting the ground.

All rollers want to fall on/turn towards the top of the flight plate. If they don't it's because it's hitting the ground at too severe of an angle....think of a hyzerflip that doesn't quite get flat/turn over, or a flat shot that was released hyzer or with not enough power and faded out early on you.

Surprisingly, my 158g blizzard wraith does a good job at not fighting out of a anny and rolling forever. Learned that one the hard way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Some of the blizzard Wraiths only have the bubbles in the middle...making them have more angular momentium, fir its weight class...therefore more resistance to curling.

Check your flightplate and rim to see if this is the case.

^That's a cut roller. It went right instead of left because the outside rim wasn't vertical enough when contacting the ground.

All rollers want to fall on/turn towards the top of the flight plate. If they don't it's because it's hitting the ground at too severe of an angle....think of a hyzerflip that doesn't quite get flat/turn over, or a flat shot that was released hyzer or with not enough power and faded out early on you.

Nope. Not a cut roller. I released it mostly straight up. It rolled straight for 200-ish feet before turning. Probably should have mentioned that earlier.

Last edited:
Then you're a dark lord and possess magic.

The point about arm speed is well-taken. Sounds like "as heavy as you can turn over" would be about right.

Yup, like many things that are "generally true" when you factor in lower arm speed.... mmmm, maybe not so much. Years ago I rolled primarily DX Stringrays in mid 170's. That's what I learned rollers on. As I've gotten older I've discovered I can get much more D out of 150 on down into upper 130s discs. You just have to factor in wind, ground, grass conditions and make good choices.

Latest posts