• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] S - turn Fairway/Control driver

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking for a fairway/control driver that I can use for backhand S-turns. I'm stuck at the 300-325 max range so I don't use anything over a speed 10. Yes I know even that may be too high but it's what I've got used to using so no flaming please.

I did some looking for HSS -3, LSS 3 and all that comes up are speed 13+ Katana, Nuke OS & Cannon. Which are way too fast. Am I just going to have learn to anny OS discs or is there something out there that will naturally turn but still come back. The understable discs that I can reliably turn don't tend to come back as hard as I want.

I only throw a bit farther. I use a beat Pro Valkyrie for hyzer flips, turn overs and S lines with more turn than fade. A Star Valkyrie for tighter S lines. And just found my seasoned P line CD that is money after throwing it last weekend for this shot. I too dont throw much high speed stuff, but dont discount the Tern in G* for this shot. Its my max D driver that I put out to 340-360 where my Valkyries are ranging about 330.

I also just picked up a Lucid Escape that flies like my star valkyrie, and a biofusion should be even less stable and get some easier turn.

If you're looking for something you can buy and immediately get the S lines you want (dont want to have to beat it in), try a roadrunner, sidewinder, maybe even a mongoose or bandit, P line CD

LET THE FLAMES COMMENCE!!! /s

Definitely look at a Discmania FD. S-Lines perform a great natural "S" when thrown flat, C-Lines and Metalflake stay pretty stable to slightly overstable, and G-Lines are pretty flippy, turning quite a bit naturally with a very gentle fade. If you're throwing 300'-325' max, an FD will not only help you improve form, it may well increase your distance with the added glide and being able to control a "7-Speed" more comfortably. I absolutely love the FD. I carry four (2x S-Line, 1x Metalflake, 1x G-Line for rollers) If I were in your position, I would pick up a G-FD and an S-FD and give them some tosses. I'd wager a dollar you'll dig 'em for what you're talking about.

I would recommend an FD or Phenom. FD has more wiggle back and forth, but both will turn and fade when thrown flat and both are sneaky-long because the fade is forward and glidey rather dumpy.

I hated the FD when I had a couple. They were pretty (over)stable and I was looking for a straight flight. Later on after I got rid of them, I learned that they were 2nd run C-FDs which are known for being more stable than other runs. Mine was JL Champ Teebird OS. I was told to try a 5th right (I think it was 5th?) but never went back to them to give them a chance.

Leopard3 is also a good option, as well as a MVP Amp

Have you thrown a Legacy Mongoose? At your distances, I found it super easy to turn, but it had enough fade when it slowed to fight back. Mine was a heavier weight (174+) and was Icon plastic.

I hated the FD when I had a couple. They were pretty (over)stable and I was looking for a straight flight. Later on after I got rid of them, I learned that they were 2nd run C-FDs which are known for being more stable than other runs. Mine was JL Champ Teebird OS. I was told to try a 5th right (I think it was 5th?) but never went back to them to give them a chance.

Leopard3 is also a good option, as well as a MVP Amp

Yeah, 2nd run was the only really stable run. Freakishly so. I had one and traded it off, because that slot was already covered by my Eagles and Tyrant. However, all the FDs I have now (which is a lot) are very true to flight numbers depending on plastic.

FDs are rated 7/6/-1/1. To me, this perfectly reflects how a S-Line flies. My C-Lines and Metalflake C-Lines are both more like a 7/6/-.5/2, and my G-Lines are 7/7/-2/1. So, overall, the newer runs of FDs are very reflective of their flight numbers, giving multiple different lines depending on chosen plastic type.

The G-FD is actually the disc I learned to roll with last summer. 14 years in the sport and I never learned to properly throw a backhand roller. Sad, I know, but dats life.

I throw Beasts for this spot. My range is similar and refuse to throw over sp 10. However, the spec i really am dodging is going over 21.1 cm rim width. So, (@21.2cm rim width) i throw a flippy g* beast for s shots and distance. Sort of my max rim width driver, i carry super flippy one for distance, and an os one for wind.

I'd say get something a touch more stable with the fade you are looking for and beat it in. I have a very best in star eagle that I think flys like you are hoping to see. It has maintained the healthy fade even though it's HSS is now in the -3 range.

pretty much going to second the Sidewinder... probably in champ for more reliable fade. Leo or river for a little tighter line, but easier to set to the line (slower speed)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I "max out" at Speed 9 and use the Westside Hatchet as my S-curve bomber. VIP plastic for roughly equal turn and fade. TP plastic for more turn and less fade. Goes real far, for me at least... ;)

Thief is a good suggestion, I've only thrown the Trilogy Challenge Bio ones...but they were exactly as you are looking for. Someone would have to chime in if the current ones have that much turn. But these were definitely -2/2 flights and very long for the speed range.

S-FD is a good suggestion, I like that as well for this power range and the very workable turn and then drifting fade.

An Escape could be a good disc as well, but that's more of a drifting turn and then guaranteed sweeping fade at that range, so I'm not sure if that's what you want or not, but it would be a useful disc flight.

Icon Patriots are what I use for this slot, i was stuck at that range and just now starting to break the plateau (sorta). 170-172g range should do the trick, it did and still does for me.

Fds are great, I'd suggest at least trying one out. A MVP relay might do what you want as well, I picked one up to mess around with and I love it. You can do a lot with just that one disc.

I'll add to the chorus of the FD, but I would also suggest a TL or a DX Teebird, which will season in to be like a TL.

what are you throwing currently?

I was throwing a star valk but it was getting a little beat and wasn't fading back strong enough. But I recently lost it in the water at Lake Marshall.

I've had some luck with beasts but they don't seem to fade as much as I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions so far

Latest posts