• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

schusterick ITB video

I don't know, I think I'd rather have the Fiesta.

car_photo_391663_7.jpg

O rly?

bmw-m3-gtr-05.jpg

For serious. I turned it off halfway through because it was so boring. I think it's because the disc names have no character and he doesn't even seem particularly excited about talking about them. It's like Will knows how bland it sounds when he says the disc names. Doesn't really get me interested in Prodigy products, that's for sure.

I don't know if it's about the names as much as how "meh" he is about what the discs do for him.

There's no passion behind the product.

That's not an accurate analogy. We're saying the Prodigy discs sound lame. That doesn't mean we'd rather throw Innova. It just means the names sound lame.

The BMW M3 does have a lackluster name. The Ford Fiesta has a much better sounding name, despite being an inferior automobile. However, reality is we'd rather drive the BMW despite that the name sounds lame.

The video is dull in part because the names are lame. That, in no way, affects how much we'd rather throw one disc over another.

Consider how much worse the video would be if the names of the discs were in binary. "Here I like to throw my 10110101 over my 10011010 because it acts more like my 11010101."

Compare that to: "Here I like to throw my Bone Crusher instead of my Dementia Disc because it acts more like my Ravisher".

IMO, you're nuts :p.

How stable is a Bone Crusher? How stable in a Dementia Disc? How does a Ravisher act? Replace that with any three discs from Innova, DC, Lat64, DD, etc. and without any previous knowledge of how at least two of the discs fly, I'm stuck in the dark.

Provided that you understand the system, Prodigy's naming scheme is much better. It's efficient and makes sense.

It isn't lame -- it's useful. Prodigy's naming scheme is professional and it isn't trying hard to not sound lame, like most other companies.

prodigy's naming system is identical to what several luxury car manufacturers do: use letters and numbers to name a product over a 'name'. ie: bmw 330xi, lexus is250, mercedes s500.

I think that once they get thier consistancy down pat then their number system will make sense but as of right now it is just a rough ballpark of how the discs will fly.

I don't know if it's about the names as much as how "meh" he is about what the discs do for him.

Agreed. Will has always struck me as someone who shows his passion through his play and not his interviews. Although, if we were to play 18 with him and ask questions we may see otherwise.

Pretty sure boring names haven't hurt Discmania too much. I've never heard anybody say they just threw a Power Driver, Freak, Turning Driver, Chaos, etc. I'm pretty sure PD, TD, PD2, whatever, have gone over pretty well. Seems like I remember hearing people bitch about their names early on but that seems to be a thing of the past. I figure this too shall pass.

Yeah, and he starts by pulling out his three putting putter and then doesn't really say much about them, which makes it kinda awkward until he gets back to the putters after the midranges.

I think that's just the way he is about everything. There's a vid on Youtube... I think it's the Clash DVD coverage of the 2011 MCO or something, where he kills it and Billy Crump goes into detail about the round and his play and then asks him how he thought it went or something, and Will just says "Good." Crump waits for a minute to see if he's going to elaborate, but he just stands there and kind of smiles and it gets really awkward.

Didnt read the thread or watch the video. Will cover the Innova discs that he still throws?

It's amazing how worked up people get when someone disagrees about some plastic. I mean, come on, I am not saying Prodigy is bad or anything. This video was a snoozer, whereas I really liked Will's video on driving tips. It just seems really dull when all of their discs are a series of numbers.

ABCD 1-10

or

Destroyer, Nuke, Teebird, River, Magnet, Valkyrie...

Left brain versus right brain

Didnt read the thread or watch the video. Will cover the Innova discs that he still throws?

Prodigy sponsored players can throw Molds other than there own?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:eek:
:|

i know other prodigy pros are still throwing re-stamped molds from their old bags but isn't will confirmed to be 100% switched over?

obviously an ITB video can't show that... but I know some DGCR members have seen him in action at tournaments. is he still throwing old stuff too?

i know other prodigy pros are still throwing re-stamped molds from their old bags but isn't will confirmed to be 100% switched over?

obviously an ITB video can't show that... but I know some DGCR members have seen him in action at tournaments. is he still throwing old stuff too?

I watched him at the USDGC, and I didn't notice him using anything other than Prodigy. I would imagine he has a Firebird stashed away somewhere, but I didn't see him use one.

When he posted the video on FB, someone asked him about "the teebird you were throwing at USDGC" and he claimed he has been throwing all Prodigy for 6 months.

Basically the only players I've seen come out and say they are throwing all Prodigy is Will and Paige. No one else has made such a statement that I'm aware of.

This video makes me want to try the F3. Been meaning to try a D3 as well, the D4 can have a bit too much turn sometimes.

I think that once they get thier consistancy down pat then their number system will make sense.
It will make sense until they want to make a new mold that is farther from the flippy end of the scale than any of their existing ones. Just saw that the D5 is out. So far, so good.

I still say that these alphanumeric names are going to be temporary.

Pretty sure boring names haven't hurt Discmania too much. I've never heard anybody say they just threw a Power Driver, Freak, Turning Driver, Chaos, etc. I'm pretty sure PD, TD, PD2, whatever, have gone over pretty well. Seems like I remember hearing people bitch about their names early on but that seems to be a thing of the past. I figure this too shall pass.

Except now when people tell me they have a dd2, or pd2, I have to make sure I didn't mishear them. Did you say D2? or DD2?

Plus, I believe the dismania "2" is just the next revision. So those numbers even mean different things across different brands. Adding to the confusion.

It isn't terrible for people that know all the different disc makers. It is a personal preference kind of thing. Where I prefer the themed names.

Maybe when Prodigy comes out with casual friendly disc lines, which they seemed to indicate was coming next, they will use themed names, just because DG newbs (those even newbier than I am anyway) will pick the coolest disc name and look.

Pretty sure boring names haven't hurt Discmania too much. I've never heard anybody say they just threw a Power Driver, Freak, Turning Driver, Chaos, etc. I'm pretty sure PD, TD, PD2, whatever, have gone over pretty well.
Notice the Discmania discs have dual names? Notice the word names (and associated stamps) seem to only be placed on the cheaper D and P lines, and not so much the premium C and S lines. I'm sure there's a reason for that.

I love the PD, but I'll level with you, Discmania really hasn't taken off around here, and much like Prodigy, having bland alphanumeric names that are tough to market is probably part of the reason.