• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Solomon XA pro 3D ultra 2 GTX

@iDiscGolf

* Ace Member *
Looking for a new pair of DG (and mountain biking) shoe/boot. Have had Merrill's in the past which were awesome and nothing but good things to say about. Most recently had a pair of Keen Marshals WP, which have worn out fairly quickly (compared to Merrill's) I was never super happy with them and won't buy them again.

I've been eyeballing these Solomon's, do any of you have experience with these?

http://m.rei.com/product/866845/salomon-xa-pro-3d-ultra-2-gtx-trail-running-shoes-mens

Thanks

I had a pair that lasted three years of heavy golf and hiking. The waterproof was great as long as there wasn't dew on the grass my feet always stayed dry. They are great shoes fit really well with the lacing system they have. light weight awesomeness! Rei will take care of you if there are issues as well.

Most comfortable pair of disc golf shoes I've ever owned. I bought them two summers ago about this time, and I just retired them to yardwork duty a couple of weeks ago. I did have a lot of problems (even after just a couple of months of use) with the glue on the soles coming undone, but I just kept gluing them back together.

I have the non-waterproof version and love them. Unbelievably comfortable, and the best fit for my narrow feet. The grip even on wet tees is superb, until you wear the lugs down. Rougher asphalt seems to contribute to this more than nicer concrete tees.

I had a pair that lasted three years of heavy golf and hiking. The waterproof was great as long as there wasn't dew on the grass my feet always stayed dry. They are great shoes fit really well with the lacing system they have. light weight awesomeness! Rei will take care of you if there are issues as well.
Great to hear your satisfied with them. But what happens in "dew" or wet grass? Waterproofing should take care of that right? Usually that's the main reason I get waterproof for early rounds in the early am or light rain. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and buy. Thanks
Most comfortable pair of disc golf shoes I've ever owned. I bought them two summers ago about this time, and I just retired them to yardwork duty a couple of weeks ago. I did have a lot of problems (even after just a couple of months of use) with the glue on the soles coming undone, but I just kept gluing them back together.
Hope that was a defect and not the norm.
My salomons run narrow
Good, because these keen marshals were a bit too wide for my liking, they felt loose in the toes, (almost clownish).
I have the non-waterproof version and love them. Unbelievably comfortable, and the best fit for my narrow feet. The grip even on wet tees is superb, until you wear the lugs down. Rougher asphalt seems to contribute to this more than nicer concrete tees.
Awesome. I'm excited now.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback!

All shoes are prone to getting wet socks in dew. Wet socks equal wet shoes. I can stand in a creek and as long as the socks stay dry the shoes do fantastic at waterproof.

I'm on my fourth or fifth pair of these, love them. They usually last me about 2 seasons before the soles get too slick and I start losing traction. Never had a problem with waterproofing, every pair has been completely waterproof.

best DG shoes out there IMO. On my second pair now. Though I just switched to the non 'ultra' ones, which im not exactly sure what the difference is, but my new ones are just XA Pro 3D GTX.

FWIW, the new XA Pro 3D's are not the same as the ones a few years ago. Something changed - can't put my finger on it - but they don't seem as comfortable for me as the older.

I loved the old Salomons, and as others have said they were the most comfortable disc golf shoe I've owned. I went through 3 pairs. In 5 months. The least durable shoe I've owned so I had to sacrifice some comfort for durability and went to Merrells. The main problems with the Salomons is the soles - they seem to wear down quick and if you forehand at all they come unglued where the toe drags. I also had one pair completely tear open on the side when I slipped on a rock. Never happened with any other shoe I've owned.

Was going to buy these last night from REI with the members coupon but they didn't have size 12... Bummed. They were the ultra 2 with the gore tex too. Oh well something else will come up.

So weird, I've heard that complaint before but have never experienced any durability issues on any of my Salomons. Even when I was playing every day, all seasons. I've always worn down the traction on the sole before anything else. Must be something about the way I pivot, I'm not that hard on the soles.