• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin Painting

How do you adjust the worm dye? Are you mixing it with something? I've got some decent, at best, results but I don't see a path forward to improve.

Apply it as is. No mix needed. I use precision tip Q-tips to apply it since it is a very watery dye mix. Keeps you from getting any run-away liquid on the disc. Also I am using quick coat worm dye. I order it from here:

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/soft-plastic-baits/380551.aspx

I also still use various powder dyes. Especially Idye black. Best black in my opinion I have found. For those I use dye powder, free & clear detergent, and I add a few drops of acetone to my mix as needed. Just enough to smooth out the dye mix.

Apply it as is. No mix needed. I use precision tip Q-tips to apply it since it is a very watery dye mix. Keeps you from getting any run-away liquid on the disc. Also I am using quick coat worm dye. I order it from here:

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/soft-plastic-baits/380551.aspx

I also still use various powder dyes. Especially Idye black. Best black in my opinion I have found. For those I use dye powder, free & clear detergent, and I add a few drops of acetone to my mix as needed. Just enough to smooth out the dye mix.

I think I have the same dye. I bought a house a couple months back and have been consumed by that but I'm hoping to get back to dying soon. Do you end up with a ton of residue on the disc? I may be using to much dye but I end up with leftover dye that tries to stain the undyed parts of the disc when I try to take it off.

I think I have the same dye. I bought a house a couple months back and have been consumed by that but I'm hoping to get back to dying soon. Do you end up with a ton of residue on the disc? I may be using to much dye but I end up with leftover dye that tries to stain the undyed parts of the disc when I try to take it off.

I usually don't have a problem with that...My mix is usually approximately 1 part dye to 2-3 parts detergent. Then if you want add white vinegar and/or a few drops of acetone to help the mix along (especially with dissolving). It also helps if you let the mix sit at least one day before use. You tend to get a more thoroughly dissolved mix. Hope that helps. Takes some playing around with.

I usually don't have a problem with that...My mix is usually approximately 1 part dye to 2-3 parts detergent. Then if you want add white vinegar and/or a few drops of acetone to help the mix along (especially with dissolving). It also helps if you let the mix sit at least one day before use. You tend to get a more thoroughly dissolved mix. Hope that helps. Takes some playing around with.

I meant residue from the worm dye.

I've read all these and I'm still looking for a definitive recipe for the Fly Dye.

I've tried Ranch Dressing, Dawn Dish Soap, Equate Hand Soap, and others... All give me a very faded dye. I'm using iDye Poly mixed in 2 cups water in a jar for use. Mixing those things give me a nice splatter pattern that stays wet for a few hours.... the dye just doesn't give much if anything.

Looks like this "free and clear detergent" is the ticket... What works? What's your exact recipe?

Last edited:
I've read all these and I'm still looking for a definitive recipe for the Fly Dye.

I've tried Ranch Dressing, Dawn Dish Soap, Equate Hand Soap, and others... All give me a very faded dye. I'm using iDye Poly mixed in 2 cups water in a jar for use. Mixing those things give me a nice splatter pattern that stays wet for a few hours.... the dye just doesn't give much if anything.

Looks like this "free and clear detergent" is the ticket... What works? What's your exact recipe?

Ranch dressing :D Cant blame ya for trying. Who recommended that? lol. Thats funny!

My dish gel dyes that I do come out to what would probably be a good consistency for this purpose, especially after the mix is exposed to the air for a few days and gets some good sit time. It tends to thicken up nicely after sitting for a few days. My mix for that is not too specific. I approximately mix maybe a 1/2 capful to a capful in a glass jar, then add maybe 4-5 eyedroppers full of (pre-shaken) dye. Then stir gently...Then like I said, be patient let it set for a few days so it will thicken up naturally. If you rush this part, it will be very liquidy still and run

I think one of your main factors could also be set time though especially with dyeing the trickier plastics (opto, lucid, champion). These type plastics I generally extend the cure time by at least double, sometimes I even give it a few days. At minimum 24 hours for those plastics.

You should try using cake pan like you see here. I usually set my dye up a little like sitting on a coffee cup or something, then place two moist squeezed out rags or towels (I use hot water) in the bottom of the container, then seal it. This will keep your dye moist while setting. Now be careful with this technique as if it gets too wet, your dye will run. I usually leave mine in for 20-30 mins at a time, then remove the lid to let it dry out again. Thanks to Eky8 for the tip on this. This is also what I use to cure my spin dyes.

IMG_20131216_212420_zpsy0vq9ove.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts