• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spirit of the game.

I'm probably wrong, and should go look before posting, but what fun would that be? I think it comes from Ultimate, it's the notion that you call out violations on yourself in the "spirit of the game." You're supposed to care more about getting it right than winning.

Yes, SOTG is an important part of Ultimate (not sure if it originated there). When I played Ultimate there were no refs. That may have changed in the last fifteen years though.

Never heard of this rule. I play by the rules and hold other accountable to the rules of the game. It is the only way to keep the integrity of the game. If you say you shot a score but cheated, you really didn't shoot that score. That is neither good for you or the game of disc golf

I try to have fun and have everyone around me have fun. Cheaters and bad attitudes are not fun. Frisbees are fun.

You guys who reply with "never heard of that" are funny. You're on the internet, use the Google.

Here is what Ultimate has about SOTG:

Excerpts from the Official Rules of Ultimate: 11th Edition

From the Preface:"The integrity of Ultimate depends on each player's responsibility to uphold the Spirit of the Game, and this responsibility should remain paramount."

From Section 1. Introduction, item B. "Spirit of the Game. Ultimate relies upon a spirit of sportsmanship that places the responsibility for fair play on the player. Highly competitive play is encouraged, but never at the expense of mutual respect among competitors, adherence to the agreed upon rules, or the basic joy of play. Protection of these vital elements serves to eliminate unsportsmanlike conduct from the Ultimate field. Such actions as taunting opposing players, dangerous aggression, belligerent intimidation, intentional infractions, or other 'win-at-all-costs' behavior are contrary to the Spirit of the Game and must be avoided by all players."

Spirit of the Game sets Ultimate apart from other competitive team sports. For over 30 years, Ultimate has flourished, reaching a highly competitive level, without the use of referees. In Ultimate, the honor system works. Sure, human nature rears its ugly head from time to time - just as in any sport, just as in life. Yet, one of the many beauties of Ultimate is how, even amid the most difficult of situations, utmost graciousness is allowed to meet that challenge head on. Through this balance, Ultimate players are free to demonstrate the most honorable and the most joyous sides of human nature in sport.

Most Ultimate players care deeply about Spirit of the Game. The organizational challenge for USA Ultimate is to foster an environment where the challenge does not become,"to see what I can get away with". Rather than dictate what Spirit of the Game is or should be, it is up to each player to do so for him or herself within the context of the teams he or she plays with and against.

Ultimate is kindof dumb. Who wants to throw a Frisbee to another person.

Pretty much everyone but us Dave.

I supposed if you want to pick nits, GUTS players throw frisbees AT other people rather than TO them...

No......he said OVER......Never at...

Of course, they're only 600 feet down the fairway and his Internet arm can clear that easy, with no danger of actually hitting them.

Also THUGNIFICENT. That jackass throws AT people too.

Hahaha only if they give me their blessing first. I think back to Silverview, hole 4. Some turd is sitting at the top of the hill, in front of the basket on a bicycle. I yell for him to get out of the way. He says "I'm safe, you can't even throw this far anyway!" I reached for my ESP Force, which was waaaaay too much disc for that hole, and ripped it forehand. Hard. It rung off the crossbar for his handlebars. Needless to say, he moved after that. As for throwing over, that is reserved for the drunks and people who are too stupid to comprehend the rules signs on hole 1. I literally piggyback them on the teepad, nobody is in danger, no matter how badly you want to pretend that they are.

That's what I said, OVER NOT AT.

But, I'd claim the bike as an ace...

But, I'd claim the bike as an ace...

It probably would've overshot the basket by a good hundred feet if not for the guy on the bike hahaha, only like a 260ft uphill hole with a downhill section beyond the basket. I guess it is considered hole 3 in their shortened layout now hahaha. What a sad course.

Last edited:
THUG has never thrown an errant shot (and never set a good example).

Oh, I have had plenty of errant shots, but the 90° griplock is not something that happens if you know how to forehand. The only person I have hit inadvertently was with a skip on a blind corner. With my 1.1 Sirius Orion LF. And it hit him in the ankle.

Also, Lord knows I am not a role model hahahaha.

Last edited:

Latest posts