• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stamp artists: Your Software?

What software do you use for stamp creation?

• Photoshop CS4 or below

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Photoshop CS5 or greater

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • GIMP

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Illustrator

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Inkscape

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Corel

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Photoshop/Illustrator tandem

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • other (please post it!)

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
Interesting discussion. I was wondering about the vector files and what to use to turn in files for stamps. Good thread.

My process is to do any illustration work on paper and scan it. Then in Photoshop (at 300 dpi) I touch it up and add text and such. Then trace it in Illustrator and save as a vector file for the die maker.
You can usually download a die template from stamper, Legacy or Innova for example, and use that to line up your artwork at the proper size.

Zam has told me that that a 600 dpi Photoshop is also acceptable format for die makers. (correct me if I'm wrong here, Zam)

Zam has told me that that a 600 dpi Photoshop is also acceptable format for die makers. (correct me if I'm wrong here, Zam)
Yep, assuming the stamp is sized correctly to the diameter specified by the manufacturer/stamper, 600dpi pixel art is good to go.

I run a Threshold on the final flat file to get it to pure 2-color black or white. After that, it's off to the engraver in either JPG or GIF. GIF!?!? That's right, a 600dpi GIF made of only 2 colors is pixel-perfect and *tiny*. You can imagine the chaos if we publicized GIF as an acceptable format for anything in stamping. It's only good for the final submission to the engraver.

All the die files that go to our engraver are 600dpi pixel files.

Personally I've only submitted vector art a handful of times in the last 5 years... Neutron stock and D-Line stock.

Skulboy's process is similar to mine... it'll include any appropriate combination of paper/scan, processed photos, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Sometimes 3D modeling will come into play for source imagery (ex. MVP Proton).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the only way to center a stamp properly is to do it by sight. Sometimes stamps need to look right more than be dead center (especially on non-circle based designs).
I stamp for DN. I use ZAM to help me if it looks bad to the eye even when centered

Legacy wants vector files for the artwork they except. Which makes sense after reading this discussion. Very interesting and u guys are super knowledgeable.

Latest posts