• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Still struggling

ile.

Hi there,

I took up disc golf 20+ years ago, but only threw casually, never learning much. A few months ago I decided to learn to throw properly, hoping to get throws over 100 m (330') in distance. I have been practicing every other day for the past 3 month. I have watched half of the the YouTube videos and in theory I think I know how to throw.

I am still struggling, now throwing 80-90 meters (max 300 feet), a bit more when I started. Straighter, the nose angle seems good. Distance, not so much.

The more interesting things:

I have a speed radar + throwing net inside the house. Using those:

In standstill, by just using the arm (you know, the way you throw a toy frisbee), I can throw at speed of 50 km/h (31 mph). With a "proper technique" I can throw 60-65 km/h (37-40 mph). That's the disc's speed before hitting the net.

Questions:

Does this sound strange? How can I gain just 10-15 km/h (6-9 mph) when using the "proper technique"? My technique must be pretty bad? Like, really, really bad? It doesn't feel bad though, it feels OK. I'm not getting my elbow hurt (I did in the beginning when I was strong arming it).

What kind of speeds can you people get, from standstill, or with one step, when thrown with "just the arm" or with "proper technique"?

Would appreciate comments. Thanks!

Last edited:
One clarification.

My max speed at which I have thrown has been 73 km/h (45 mph). So that's the best I have been able to do. Usually the speeds are at 60-65 km/h (37-40 mph) range.

It would be helpful if you share a video. It's difficult to assess areas for improvement without seeing your technique in action.

There's a section for form review. Look over the rules and make use of it. Arm speed can give you some insight to your distance limits, but that's not the only variable to consider.

Hi there,
I am still struggling, now throwing 80-90 meters (max 300 feet), a bit more when I started. Straighter, the nose angle seems good. Distance, not so much.
That's a good throw, nothing to be ashamed of. Just be patient and you'll eventually get to where you want.

I've been measured at 42 MPH, which my instructor said 'equates to a 7 speed'. BUT...and this was a huge BUT from him...I can throw faster speed discs; I just can't count on them to perform as designed, but they can get a bit more distance. I just have to work with faster discs to see how they perform for ME with my slower arm speed. He also suggested that if I throw faster discs that I get lighter weight ones. I've found I can throw a 12 speed if it is in the 140-150 gram range. My 9 speeds are in the 155 - 168 range.

With a 42 MPH throw, I'm getting my 9 speeds to 250ish.

Thanks for the comments,

^ The speed comment is helpful. I've been wondering where my speed problem comes from.

Does it come from the throwing technique or something physical, for example my ape index? I'm 176 cm (5 Feet, 9.2913 Inches) and my wing span is 172 cm (5 Feet, 7.7165 Inches). So my wing span is less than my height, which should be bad for disc golf.

On the other hand I have been fast at running short distances (100 meters). So throwing a disc fast should be possible for that reason.

Well, I've been improving a little bit. I hope it's mainly the technique. Which would mean that there is still room to improve. Would have to post that video at some point.

To my thinking, decent form is a platform for increasing speed, if you can, with less chance of injury. So far, I'm not having any great success with increased distance, but I am able to more consistently hit that max distance. Maybe look for drills and practice that you can do successfully so you don't spend time burning-in bad habits.

Thanks for the comments,

^ The speed comment is helpful. I've been wondering where my speed problem comes from.

Does it come from the throwing technique or something physical, for example my ape index? I'm 176 cm (5 Feet, 9.2913 Inches) and my wing span is 172 cm (5 Feet, 7.7165 Inches). So my wing span is less than my height, which should be bad for disc golf.

On the other hand I have been fast at running short distances (100 meters). So throwing a disc fast should be possible for that reason.

Well, I've been improving a little bit. I hope it's mainly the technique. Which would mean that there is still room to improve. Would have to post that video at some point.

I'm not sure how speed of a throw works, but I'd guess timing has a lot to do with it. I'm 6'1" with a matching 'wing span' (I'm also 63). I do a walk-up with a "slow" pull of the disc. That lets me keep the timing of everything correct. If I do a run-up and try to pull the disc faster, it just messes all my timing up. I probably could do a walk-up and pull/throw faster than 42 MPH, but my timing would be off and the results wouldn't be worth it. I might get more distance, but my accuracy would be way off.

I'm not too worried about my distance, 250 feet is still really decent. With most holes on non-pro/tour courses being 500 feet or less, I have the ability to make it to the 'green' in two throws.

Also 63 years old, 6'1" with a gorilla arm span and a bad left knee. If I could run across the tee pad and send it full rip like James Conrad, I'd be overjoyed lol. I'm kind of lucky that with an easy walk up, my longer arms end up in a decent reach back. Then I "start the lawnmower". The slower pace gives me more accuracy and consistency than if I was to pretend that I'm in my 20's. It was a work in progress, spending a long time with a bag of 9 speeds, but now I'm starting (starting being the operative word) to throw faster discs with pretty good results.

Also 63 years old, 6'1" with a gorilla arm span and a bad left knee. If I could run across the tee pad and send it full rip like James Conrad, I'd be overjoyed lol. I'm kind of lucky that with an easy walk up, my longer arms end up in a decent reach back. Then I "start the lawnmower". The slower pace gives me more accuracy and consistency than if I was to pretend that I'm in my 20's. It was a work in progress, spending a long time with a bag of 9 speeds, but now I'm starting (starting being the operative word) to throw faster discs with pretty good results.

"Start the lawnmower". That takes me back. When I started trying to throw a backhand, the first time I heard that phrase, I looked at the person and said....and how do you start a lawnmower? I was so allergic to grass that I never cut a lawn until I was in my 30's. And then it was with an electric mower.

Basic physics, if you want the disc to move faster, your body/arm need to move quicker. Is your body capable of that?

I know I struggle with reach higher speeds and I grow older. It isn't power moving the disc but rather transferring quickness and speed into the disc's flight.

Basic physics, if you want the disc to move faster, your body/arm need to move quicker. Is your body capable of that?

I know I struggle with reach higher speeds and I grow older. It isn't power moving the disc but rather transferring quickness and speed into the disc's flight.

That's an interesting statement and I've thought similar—but, it's kind of common "knowledge " that lighter discs result in faster flight. Like 175 g versus 150 gram.

Of course force = m x a, so if you apply the same force to a lighter disc, you must be moving faster at release. Thus, it seems to me that if you actually are capable of throwing a lighter disc faster, you have room to improve through technique.

Latest posts