• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strength vs Quickness

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
I've been playing for nearly a year now and, like a lot of newbies, I've wasted a lot of time trying to muscle the disc into flying far. After watching an instructional video that showed the throw from reach back to follow through, I started doing this move sans disc in an attempt to improve my form, and I noticed something interesting. When I do this disc-less practice throw, I can whip around a lot faster than when I'm holding my driver (172g Champion Tern), presumably because I'm not having to accelerate the added mass of the disc. You wouldn't think a little disc, even if it is 172g, would make for a slower throw motion. So I got to thinking, if I throw a lighter disc, will my throw motion be faster and my disc accelerate more, resulting in increased distance? Well, I got my chance to find out by accident. To get my exercise in, beat the heat of summer, and avoid the crowds, I've taken to hitting the local course at 6AM each morning. An unexpected advantage to doing this is that, after a wind, I'm the first person to find lost discs blown out of trees overnight. Of course I always call the owner and drop the disc off at the local pro shop for them to pick up, but I also take advantage of the situation by throwing the discs on one or two holes where there's no chance of losing them just to 'test drive' them and see if they are something I might want to pick up for myself. One day I found a 165g Tern I didn't immediately recognize as a Tern because the stamp had been removed (and it was a different plastic than my own). My test throws were impressive (to me anyway). Remember, this is the same disc I usually throw, just 7 grams lighter. I had always gone on the assumption that lighter discs couldn't go the distance. Inertia equals mass times velocity, and if you drop the mass, the inertia drops, making it easier for drag and wind resistance to stop the disc. But, increase the velocity and you increase the inertia, increasing resistance to drag and wind resistance. Since lighter discs are easier to accelerate...you get the idea. Like a certain video we've all seen explains, you can throw a baseball farther than a bowling ball (high mass, low velocity), but you can't throw a ping pong ball (low mass, high velocity) farther than a baseball. Logically, there should be an ideal weight for each person's throw, where the benefit of added velocity from lower weight vs the increased inertia from higher weight hit the pea of the bell curve and produce a maximum inertia where neither less weight nor more weight will benefit you. If I could afford it, I'd buy every weight of my favorite disc in 4 gram increments and throw over and over until I discovered which weight works best for me. I can't afford to do this, but I did buy a lighter weight (159g) GStar Tern and a GStar Daedalus in the same weight. Besides just being curious to try the Daedalus, I figured that since it has the same numbers as the Tern, but with a 13 speed compared to the Tern's 12, if the Tern becomes too understable at the lower weight, the Daedalus might be a better fit if my throw acceleration actually increases with the reduced weight. I'l take both discs out in the morning and see for myself if lighter is better.

I've kind of wandered from the original topic of this post (kind of like my drive wanders - hah!), but if what I've noticed about throwing with an empty hand or a lighter disc really makes my throw move quicker, it raises the question: In getting from the reach back to the follow through position, which is the better focus to take, using your muscles to throw with strength, or moving quickly? I've read that there are two types of muscle fibers, those that lend to brute strength, and those that lend to quick response. Personally, I seem to do better when I focus on moving through my throw with quickness instead of even paying attention to what my muscles are are aren't doing.

What do you think, strength or quickness - which is the winner? Also, what has your experience with lower disc weights vs heavier been?

What do you think, strength or quickness - which is the winner? Also, what has your experience with lower disc weights vs heavier been?

Neither really; technique trumps everything else.

Personal experience: I got super into weightlifting during 2011, I was a total gym rat (like 3-4 hours a day) for about 6 months then kept it up enough to maintain my gains for a while, then stopped working out regularly. I was stoked because my increased muscle strength and athleticism added a consistent 30 or so feet to my drive, and I was finally over the 350 ish plateau I had been stuck on forever. Fast forward 4 years to now: I haven't worked out regularly since then and am in absolutely the worst shape of my life, I weight even less then I did in 2011 and have lost a lot of flexibility too. But I'm throwing farther then ever. 2011 me has a solid 30 pounds on 2015 me, but I'm throwing 400+ extremely consistently with more accuracy then ever. Strength and conditioning CAN help you throw farther, but most people can add a lot more distance just by improving their technique.

Strength and quickness have a circular relationship; pretty hard to improve one without the other benifiting. I would say quickness and flexibility are the biggest keys to throwing far, once your technique reaches a certain pleatue.

As far as light vs heavy goes; lighter discs go farther. There is no doubt about that. Farther isn't always better tho. I'm at the point in my disc golfing career where I care just as much about accuracy and predictability as I do about raw distance. Heavy discs are extremely predictable in most considitions. I value that consistency and predictability a lot more then the couple of extra feet I would get by throwing something lighter. That's easy for me to say tho; cuz I can reach a lot of stuff some people can't. If your in the 300-350 range those extra couple of feet can be a lot more valuable to you then they are to me

Thanks, Pbmercil. I know technique is king - every time I throw well with 1/2 the effort and 100% of the distance, it pisses me off because my ape brain says 'stronger good'. But a good throw really does take less effort and goes farther. It's getting that good technique every time that eludes me - it's still just a freak accident when it happens.

Champ Terns are more stable than the other plastics...I'm not surprised if a star or Gstar or whatever you found went as far or further, because its stability difference may have gave it more glide/more turn and milder fade.

I personally don't find any difference between 5 grams, and am fine with any disc being ~168-175g or whatever max weight is for that mold. For some reason I feel like 168g is a good minimal number and I will submit that it is 100% arbitrary to make myself feel good about not throwing discs that are "too light".

When discs change by over 10 grams I can find a difference. I honestly don't know how much of it is that the disc is lighter, vs. how much is that the disc molds up differently at that weight.

PLH/disc shape/plastic have way more difference than 5 grams here or there on a disc. I'm not saying that 150g = 175g in flight....but sticking within 5-10 grams shouldn't make any difference. Finding a flat/domey/high PLH/low/PLH/plastic variation in that mold makes 20x more difference IMO.

Too much muscle can slow you down, so I'll go for quickness. A disc golf throw is all about fluid motion, hard to do if you're musclebound.

When I witnessed Barsby, Feldberg, Locastro and others in person...I was shocked how relatively smallish (short) these guys are. Thin, very flexible and oh so fast...at the right times. ;) Don't get me wrong...strength IS important in disc golf, but not bulk muscle. I still lift weights (have to at my age to promote muscle growth) but it's nothing but low weight & high reps. I would recommend this approach compared to fewer reps, heavy lifting.

One thing of note is there are two types of muscle fibers slow twitch (lifting muscles) and fast twitch (acceleration/explosive power muscles). Lifting weights (which I hear a lot of individuals suggest) is counter intuitive to disc golf because you are training your muscles to move slowly. You need to work on the fast twitch muscles to gain the explosive speed to accelerate the disc to optimum velocity.

Well, I went out early this morning and threw both of my new 159g discs. The GStar Tern behaved comparably with my usual driver, a 172g Champion Tern, with maybe one or two of the drives going around 10' farther than I expected. The 11g difference wasn't really noticeable to me, but then I don't judge weights well. Maybe it's just me, but the Champion plastic just seems more stable and like it gets a bit more glide than the more rubbery plastics like GStar. I nearly had my best scoring game using the lighter Tern (missed it by one stroke), but I attribute that mostly to accurate upshots and decent putting. (It doesn't matter if you're 100 or 200 feet from the hole if your next shot parks it.) The other new disc, a 159g GStar Daedalus, flew okay, but seemed more understable than the Tern, which is weird because, while the other numbers are the same, the speed is one faster (13 as compared to the Tern's 12), so I expected it to be more overstable. In other words, the jury is still out as to whether going lighter is going to work on me, but at least it wasn't an obvious mistake on my first outing.

FYI: The mass marked on a disc by the manufacturer isn't necessarily precise!

When they ink the mass at the factory, it isn't a scaled measurement. I think that they just estimate it based on the plastic blend and whether that specific disc was early/late in the batch. [Someone please correct me?!] Of course it depends on the manufacturer. I know that discraft uses stickers that specify a mass range (e.g. 172-174g). From what I've seen, most mass notations form manufacturers can vary by +/- 1g pretty easily, so at least discraft is honest about their imprecision!

If you're looking to get specific masses (such as the 4 gram increments mentioned above) then you're better off scaling the discs yourself...or getting a shop to scale them for you.

That having been said, I agree with slowplastic's point that changing the material or subtle molding characteristics makes a lot more difference than a few grams. (Same holds true for a shiny new disc compared to one that is beat to heck.)

Getting back to the original point of this thread:
Velocity is key. Force and torque are only useful if they help you accelerate a disc to the desired velocity.

One thing of note is there are two types of muscle fibers slow twitch (lifting muscles) and fast twitch (acceleration/explosive power muscles). Lifting weights (which I hear a lot of individuals suggest) is counter intuitive to disc golf because you are training your muscles to move slowly. You need to work on the fast twitch muscles to gain the explosive speed to accelerate the disc to optimum velocity.

Not neccicarily. You can lift weights and exercise to gain explosiveness. If you couldn't, you wouldn't see athletes from a number of different sports lifting.

Well, I went out early this morning and threw both of my new 159g discs. The GStar Tern behaved comparably with my usual driver, a 172g Champion Tern, with maybe one or two of the drives going around 10' farther than I expected. The 11g difference wasn't really noticeable to me, but then I don't judge weights well. Maybe it's just me, but the Champion plastic just seems more stable and like it gets a bit more glide than the more rubbery plastics like GStar. I nearly had my best scoring game using the lighter Tern (missed it by one stroke), but I attribute that mostly to accurate upshots and decent putting. (It doesn't matter if you're 100 or 200 feet from the hole if your next shot parks it.) The other new disc, a 159g GStar Daedalus, flew okay, but seemed more understable than the Tern, which is weird because, while the other numbers are the same, the speed is one faster (13 as compared to the Tern's 12), so I expected it to be more overstable. In other words, the jury is still out as to whether going lighter is going to work on me, but at least it wasn't an obvious mistake on my first outing.
The Daedalus may have seemed more understable because of the weight. Being a faster disc, you really have to get it out there to get it to turn over if it's max weight or close to it.

I agree that technique trumps strength. But I think that technique adds quickness. If a person has a slight problem with rounding and throwing nose up, throwing harder would not help. Working on technique though, eliminating the rounding would decrease the overall distance you pull the disc across your body and would in turn increase the quickness of your drive. Correcting the nose down would help maintain the speed that your quickness added. So, I think that we shouldn't be asking strength vs. quickness, we should be asking strength vs. technique.

I'm of average strength and arm speed. But I find if you can bring the hips, shoulders and finally arms into the throw you can generate much more power than just trying to grip-and-rip. Kind of like adding a small turbo to a 4-cylinder engine. You get the revs up quickly and the power develops behind it. That's pretty much my throw - I coil up (approach the tee at a 45-degree angle), plant and follow completely through. I sometimes throw myself off the front of the box after release. I can now out drive a lot of stronger guys just by being able to build arm speed by snapping my entire body. On the down side...a little sand/moisture on the box and I'm TOAST!

Too much muscle can slow you down, so I'll go for quickness. A disc golf throw is all about fluid motion, hard to do if you're musclebound.

I was watching some boxing gym stuff, and a ripped dude came in; they said "We're gonna take most of that off of you. We want long muscles." I'm thinking DG is the same; long muscles are good, tall muscles slow you down.

jacksonsnap_pq79adzl.gif

The Daedalus may have seemed more understable because of the weight. Being a faster disc, you really have to get it out there to get it to turn over if it's max weight or close to it.

I've only thrown a champ Daedalus, but it was more flippy than even a Gstar Tern. Can't trust the numbers only, just have to throw them at the proper speed and see what they do.

In my limited experience, all 170g+, stability was MF champ Tern > champ Tern > star Tern >> gstar Tern >> champ Daedalus

(This is limited experience with 1-2 discs of each one of those models, I don't own any)

But TBFG, I'm happy you saw similarities between your discs...don't get too caught up in the disc weight thing unless you're throwing a mold that's known to be very different between weights, like I've heard Rivers can be. Heavier discs tend to be better in wind, so that's why I don't go super light.

I've only thrown a champ Daedalus, but it was more flippy than even a Gstar Tern. Can't trust the numbers only, just have to throw them at the proper speed and see what they do.

In my limited experience, all 170g+, stability was MF champ Tern > champ Tern > star Tern >> gstar Tern >> champ Daedalus

(This is limited experience with 1-2 discs of each one of those models, I don't own any)

But TBFG, I'm happy you saw similarities between your discs...don't get too caught up in the disc weight thing unless you're throwing a mold that's known to be very different between weights, like I've heard Rivers can be. Heavier discs tend to be better in wind, so that's why I don't go super light.
I just meant that the Daedalus seemed more understable because it was only 159g. I have a 157g Blizzard Katana that's more understable than my 172g G* Daedalus. Seems to me they all get significantly more understable once they get into the 150's. I try and only throw heavier stuff though because as you mentioned, wind eats up the lighter plastics.

I just meant that the Daedalus seemed more understable because it was only 159g. I have a 157g Blizzard Katana that's more understable than my 172g G* Daedalus. Seems to me they all get significantly more understable once they get into the 150's. I try and only throw heavier stuff though because as you mentioned, wind eats up the lighter plastics.

I totally agree, I just wanted to say that IME the champ Daedalus in normal weights was still flippy.

I have limited experience with Bosses, but I threw a champ Boss that was very stable (slight ride to big fade), and I threw a blizzard Boss another time on hyzer and it flipped into a cut roller that almost destroyed some kid that was way off to the right...not anywhere near where I expected to throw. Light weights can definitely make a difference...but I'm guessing in that case the blizzard Boss molds up differently in shape a bit to the regular champion ones as well.