• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Talking bout stalking (stalkers post here)

tgm said:
SkaBob said:
Also, ESP is stiffer FLX.

These ones felt more like FLX though. Not stiff like my ESP Surges. Even though they were ESP, they were quite flexible. Like an R-Pro feel sort of.

Disgusting.

that sux if they feel like rpro flex wise. My esp doesn't feel like what your talking about. It feels like regular esp would. Semi stiff. But not as stiff as my z's. I wouldn't mind snagging some xout esp's but not if they're floppy n shit

misprints get a lot of older stuff, which was firmer and slicker.

I've had a few blends of the flx'y ESP. I have a few 150 flicks (neon pink) that are that plastic. Honestly it's not HORRIBLE, but it doesn't skip for shit. It's like it grips the ground as well as it grips your hand. I can't count the number of times I've had one of those pink flicks hoe me out when I was trying to play the skip on a 380'ish foot drive, and give me a 3 foot skip instead of 30.

Was figuring out my tourney order and saw they had crystal stalkers now. Has anyone gotten there hands on these?

Haven't caved and bought one of these yet, despite Discspeeds(and others) solid reviews. I still love my seasoned ESP Cyclone too much for workhorse fairway duties, and I have a bunch of TeeBirds that I have to work into the bag as well.

There's too many solid fairway driver options, hmph.

discspeed said:
Compared to the Cyclone I think the Stalker is a bit more of a power disc, flying lower, more HSS, better in the wind, etc. The Cyclone to me is a high speed turning disc, as they never stayed flying "new" very long. The break in period was slow after the initial break in though. My artificially beat Stalker is very Cyclonish though as it seems to have lost a lot more HSS than LSS.

I wanted to work out the Cyclone/Stalker comparison a bit more, so I picked up a 174 ESP Cyclone just the other day (it is rigid, and not as sticky as the usual ESP, not overly domey but not flat either), and have also been trying my wife's more broken-in 164g ESP Cyclone (grippier plastic, and more flexible). My Z Stalker is the FR, 172g.

I throw both of them similarly (going for spin and throwing the head of the hammer, type of thing), and the rim feel is not very different. Both molds seem to work well in about the same exact ranges of distance, so already there is a good deal of overlap between the two molds. For throws up to 320'-ish feet, this shiny new ESP Cyclone has surprising resistance to turning at high speeds, and flies very very straight. So at least initially it is HSS. However, it also fades more than the Stalker ever did, making it ideal for getting flex-ish shots going where you want the disc to come back at the end (Stalker never comes back much at all). The more seasoned 164g Cyclone will turn at high speeds, although it turns slowly and in a very controllable manner, and in all cases it seems to want to fight back at the end of the flight. So both Cyclones can be put on slight anhyzer lines and they'll turn a bit, straighten out for a long while, and then a smooth finishing fade. As for wind, so far the ESP Cyclone seems to slightly out-perform the Stalker in recent tests, being more likely to stay on trajectory for head/tail/side winds of all kinds and also doesn't pop up and down so rapidly in gusts. However, the Stalker will float better when thrown on a low line drive, so you can also keep it down and out of the wind more easily (depending on the terrain and the shot/line availability, of course).

I've been throwing my 167 Glo Stalker and am really loving it. Off the T it can handle some power, and the flight is close to my Buzzz, only longer. In the fairway it is working for those times when a fan grip and a Buzz just won't get there; I can use the same easy swing and it covers the D. Liking this disc.
'J'

SkaBob said:
How much wind can the ESP Cyclone handle?

I threw it in 15 MPH gusts, head, side, and tail. That's pretty normal around here. I hit a 20 MPH or so headwind with it once, and it did fairly well (though I wouldn't choose to do that regularly). By that I mean it didn't flip over all of a sudden, but it did turn gradually and glide out into the wind, though with significant left-right play. Maybe if the wind were steady I could plan better and make it fly into faster winds on some very fun lines. It'll grab on a little bit to a tail wind, but not as well as some other discs.

But, for me, I would draw the line at using the Cyclone somewhere around just above 15 MPH wind, and go to something more beefy beyond that.

Yeah, I still plan to try an Avenger some time. I've owned 4 ESP Avenger SS, but never touched a regular Avenger before (I'm sure they are very different discs).

JHern said:
Yeah, I still plan to try an Avenger some time. I've owned 4 ESP Avenger SS, but never touched a regular Avenger before (I'm sure they are very different discs).

like night and day

keltik said:
JHern said:

like night and day
Surely.

I hit my first Stalker ace last night with my pink 175. It was a high spike hyzer on a 263' hole. It was cool because the two guys I happened to be playing with had never seen an ace. I think they were more excited than I was. 8)

discspeed said:
I hit my first Stalker ace last night with my pink 175. It was a high spike hyzer on a 263' hole. It was cool because the two guys I happened to be playing with had never seen an ace. I think they were more excited than I was. 8)

LOL, I've seen that before, the guys in the group are jumping around acting crazy as if they're the ones who aced.

It's all about supporting your fellow disc golfer though, but still funny to watch ace witness reactions too.

:D

discspeed said:

Nice hit!! one question tho... what were you doing hyzer spiking a stalker from 263' out!? :shock:

jamon said:
discspeed said:

Nice hit!! one question tho... what were you doing hyzer spiking a stalker from 263' out!? :shock:

I posted a picture from the teepad on the Aces thread. The best shot for this hole is to throw a spike shot over the trees and out over the road and let it come back in to the basket. Despite the short distance, most people will throw a driver because its a pretty high and outside shot. I usually use a XXX, but I have to throw it pretty hard and somewhat low/close to the trees. On this day the wind was a tail LtR cross and it seemed like it would be an easy shot with the Stalker, especially with the wind pushing it down at the end of the shot. It worked. :wink: I wouldn't just walk up to a 263' hole out in a field and throw a spike hyzer with my Stalker.

Latest posts