• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Teaching online

timothy42b

Eagle Member
Are any of you who teach having success with Skype, Facetime, etc.

Curious because a lot of music teachers moved that direction during Covid lockdown; also because I haven't found a local person for good lessons myself.

I know video form review is helpful but it would seem like an actual lesson would be better.

Not the same, but I've done a good amount of remote training over the past few years for work. Mostly spreadsheet and ERP stuff where I'm sharing my screen as I demonstrate or the trainee is sharing as they walk through a process.

Biggest pet peeve is that the software we use doesn't allow a user to share their screen and their video at the same time. You lose so much when you can't see a person's facial expressions. Are they fully up to speed, totally lost, or somewhere in between? So much easier to read when you're face to face.

I would think for DG coaching, both users would have their cameras on most of the time, so that should be less of a concern. I'm sure you still lose something and it wouldn't be as easy for the coach to see different angles as it would be in person.

Not the same, but I've done a good amount of remote training over the past few years for work. Mostly spreadsheet and ERP stuff where I'm sharing my screen as I demonstrate or the trainee is sharing as they walk through a process.

Biggest pet peeve is that the software we use doesn't allow a user to share their screen and their video at the same time. You lose so much when you can't see a person's facial expressions. Are they fully up to speed, totally lost, or somewhere in between? So much easier to read when you're face to face.

I would think for DG coaching, both users would have their cameras on most of the time, so that should be less of a concern. I'm sure you still lose something and it wouldn't be as easy for the coach to see different angles as it would be in person.

And a video can distort the view so you might see something that isn't actually happening. Angles and lens (wide angle/telephoto/zoom) can cause some distortion. Perspective can be fooled using a camera.

If the person has a place they can throw in to a net, I think some level of help can be achieved through a video conference.

You can actively work on things and show examples to them in real time.
It would just take longer than in person.
But its not a bad idea.
But the coach and the coached would have to have a big space to actually do it.

I have my shop setup as a studio and a shop with a net, so I can shoot video, live stream or whatever disc golf.
Not everyone has that fortune.

I've been coaching on zoom. I recommend recording vids before and sending them to go over. I don't recommend actually throwing during the lessons, but working on drills, motion pattern, grip. I've done a couple with students throwing into net and it's really hard to see things in real time, they went ok, but IMO better spent time working on the smaller motions.

I imagine if there's any technological hiccup at all during the throw, the teacher would not get a good look at the mechanics...

I've been coaching on zoom. I recommend recording vids before and sending them to go over. I don't recommend actually throwing during the lessons, but working on drills, motion pattern, grip. I've done a couple with students throwing into net and it's really hard to see things in real time, they went ok, but IMO better spent time working on the smaller motions.

I think that's really the better way.

I've done some posting on the Forms/Analysis section, about once a year since 2015. I've been grateful for some excellent advice and the gracious time spent - and all for free!

I've paid for a couple of lessons from local big arms, attended a clinic with Stokely, and watched a lot of video. Most of that time I probably did field work at the soccer field by my house about once a week.

Improvement? Marginally detectable if any. I've yet to throw 300 feet or even close. 250 is not scared of me.

I have a significant birthday in 3 months, think I can accomplish by then what I've failed to do in 7 years. <humor> Regular online lessons would be worth the effort.

(If all else fails, I would like to LOOK like I know what I'm doing. A smooth relaxed athletic short throw would still be a victory.)