• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The downwind putt

Few things that help for me on downwind putts:

I have a hybrid style - but it is more of a push/spin with a little pitch added in.

For downwind putts, I try to focus on being very slow and smooth(which is good to practice regardless of condition). My focus is on extending my hand and disc as far out as I can with a clean release. I find for tailwind putts that if I my hand doesn't extend all the way, the tailwind will pull it down quicker and smack the cage. The biggest thing for putting in any situation is to just makes sure your entire body is committed to extended forward on a full swing. Never short yourself, ever. Practice that and you won't miss as much

Keep in mind, I may not even understand the different types of putting. Disc golf is new here(no course over 1 year old) and I can't even explain what my hand is or is not doing at release. Pretty sure I have no idea what push putting even is.

Extend your hand to the pole, thats all you need to worry about. Start practicing it at 5ft, and move out as you get better. Eventually you will learn the angles and such

There are some synonyms for different styles of putting and some might use some terms in contradiction to others. Laser/spin putting moves the arm in a straight line back to front with no height alteration and pitch/loft putting locks or almost locks the elbow straight before the arm movement which starts low and ends up higher like throwing horse shoes. Push putting is that the same as pitch/loft putting everywhere? IIRC Feldy uses push putting the same as some use pitch/loft.

JR said:
There are some synonyms for different styles of putting and some might use some terms in contradiction to others. Laser/spin putting moves the arm in a straight line back to front with no height alteration and pitch/loft putting locks or almost locks the elbow straight before the arm movement which starts low and ends up higher like throwing horse shoes. Push putting is that the same as pitch/loft putting everywhere? IIRC Feldy uses push putting the same as some use pitch/loft.

Feldy is a loft putter.

Val Jenkins is a push putter.

Nate Doss/Josh Anthon are spin putters.

JHern said:
Val Jenkins is a push putter.
I had never seen her before today. Lots of bend in the elbow. I have been trying to keep the arm straight. May try her style. She has no power issues with longer putts.