• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the philosophical disc golfer

GRHE

I've been giving some thought lately to why I play disc golf; why I do anything for that matter but disc golf is one of my favorite pass-times so it comes to mind above other things. I'm going to avoid my love of physics, being outdoors, and doing something well as excuses for playing this game because I've found something that I think is much more at the root of my happiness and satisfaction with life in general.

Consider for a moment what use any activity or endeavour in life would be if you were the only person on earth. What satisfaction could we derive from anything that we do if we did not have a collective group that judged us or by which we could compare ourselves. What fun would going out on the disc golf course be if we didn't have that one good friend that we could compete with or just have someone to engage in conversation with while we were out.

On the whole I've found that we humans are amazingly interconnected and we often take that for this for granted. You'll notice after your first 1000 rounds of disc golf that the game itself becomes a bit redundant. On your favorite course you likely know each and every fairway down to the movement of debris on the course. "Oh," you'll say, "somebody has moved that branch that fell in the storm last night." You probably know within a stroke or two what score you'll get and the improvements become minute and incremental. The proverbial learning curve applies across the span of our experiences. Its at theses times that we ask ourselves questions like, "why do I do this?" and "is this really how I want to spend these precious moments of my life before I die?"

I do not discount the satisfaction that we get from watching a disc fly or from seeing our scores consistently improve. We are also made to enjoy progress and growth but I am still most interested for now in what use any of this would be if we had no other human being to relate these experiences to. My theory is that the talent that we have and how we use it is ultimately arbitrary and that the more important points in our lives are the relationships that we build along the way. How we relate to people, who we know, and who we feel most known by are infinitely more satisfying in our human existence than becoming the number one player in the world at anything.

It is my belief that if you sacrifice the relationships along the way for anything, be it skill, money, or fame, you are going to find dissatisfaction and grief when you finally achieve the thing that you've given all to achieve. On a smaller scale, consider each trip out to the disc golf course as an opportunity to make new friends or improve on existing friendships and the sport and your life are going to take on a new vibrancy. Also consider how you are treating people along the way as this is in essence how we are relating to these people. If we treat people badly it will usually make us feel a sense of guilt or shame, and if not these then at the very least a sense that we are probably a bad person at heart and will pay for it in some form or fashion later in life. However, when we treat people good, then we feel a sense of accomplishment and pride in our lives, we make great friends and find our lives satisfying and enjoyable.

These are some of my idle thoughts from the disc golf course and I've found them so true up till now that I thought I might like to share them and see if you all agree.

GRHE said:
It is my belief that if you sacrifice the relationships along the way for anything, be it skill, money, or fame, you are going to find dissatisfaction and grief when you finally achieve the thing that you've given all to achieve. On a smaller scale, consider each trip out to the disc golf course as an opportunity to make new friends or improve on existing friendships and the sport and your life are going to take on a new vibrancy. Also consider how you are treating people along the way as this is in essence how we are relating to these people. If we treat people badly it will usually make us feel a sense of guilt or shame, and if not these then at the very least a sense that we are probably a bad person at heart and will pay for it in some form or fashion later in life. However, when we treat people good, then we feel a sense of accomplishment and pride in our lives, we make great friends and find our lives satisfying and enjoyable.

Seems like sound advice for almost any situation in life.

Frank Delicious said:
So be happy instead of being skillful, successful or famous and don't be a jerk?

Notice I don't propose that you can't have both or a mixture of them, but if you must choose one which do you really want? And if you are sacrificing one or the other which one do you weigh more valuable?

:) Hah, just me and my scoffers. Oh well. If we are an ignorant, unhappy people seeking life in the very things that destroy us then perhaps we should say so be it.

GRHE said:
:) Hah, just me and my scoffers. Oh well. If we are an ignorant, unhappy people seeking life in the very things that destroy us then perhaps we should say so be it.

ignorance is bliss.

i personally enjoy the rounds were i am the only person on the course. those are my happiest and best rounds. other peoples out of whack and emotional vibes are agitating. plus your average disc golfer isnt very good for meaningful conversation, at least not what i find meaningful anyway.

Frank Delicious said:
tis a lonely road walked by the philosophical disc golfer.
Disagree. I am GRHE's friend after reading this thread.

Plus, the OP was about NOT trading skill for loneliness. Keep up, Frank.

1. Burgess Meredith in the Twilight Zone
2. you sound like you either a. broke up/got divorced b. a friend/relative died c. you lost your job or d. your dog ran away

I'm torn between 2a. and 2c.

EDIT: Eat 2 big handfuls of cashews every day for a few weeks. you'll feel better and forget about this shit. also stay out of the heat. it's messin' with your head dude.

GRHE said:
Everything is a choice
Sure about that? I didn't have a choice being born so that shoots your theory down right there. I'm way more inclined to believe that there are absolutely NO choices than any semblance of Free Will existing.

And can I just sum up your first post with "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey?" Sound about right?

Disc golf is so much more than just a game...

-Its a kind of golf that we don't need to clear large fairways and keep the grass manicured over huge areas, so no need to keep out the "riff raff." We use the landscape, and its much cheaper. Its golf for the rest of us.

-Disc golf has been built by the efforts of its practitioners, who planned, who came out in work crews, who brought and applied their skills, who cleared debris and undergrowth, installed tees, benches, baskets, hosted tournaments, etc..

-Disc golf transforms mis-used parks and properties, cleans them up, and turns them into sustainable venues for affordable and accessible recreation.

-Disc golf is a conduit by which we can reject the ills of our societies, come together as a community, and do something positive for everybody.

Jhern, I am sure that your point 2 also started like this in ball golf ( 100 years ago or more ), your points 3 and 4 also count for ball golf, and that we will get to point 1 when disc golf is more developed.

Still, I agree that DG is more than just a game.

Smyith said:
GRHE said:

ignorance is bliss.

i personally enjoy the rounds were i am the only person on the course. those are my happiest and best rounds. other peoples out of whack and emotional vibes are agitating. plus your average disc golfer isnt very good for meaningful conversation, at least not what i find meaningful anyway.

Sure, I like playing by myself sometimes too but face it, without this forum and other friends to talk to about the rounds, they would turn dull and pointless. Consider again that you're the last person on earth. Would disc golf still be a lifelong sport? No, at that point its a survival technique and you are not finding any sense of purpose or satisfaction in life from it.

keltik said:
1. Burgess Meredith in the Twilight Zone
2. you sound like you either a. broke up/got divorced b. a friend/relative died c. you lost your job or d. your dog ran away

I'm torn between 2a. and 2c.

EDIT: Eat 2 big handfuls of cashews every day for a few weeks. you'll feel better and forget about this shit. also stay out of the heat. it's messin' with your head dude.

:) As for this I'll not poke back but you couldn't be more wrong. More to the contrary. I am actually finding my life more satisfying and fulfilling than ever before. I have an amazing wife who I grow to love more and more each day, some amazing kids that are the light of my day, and I can actually say that I'm happy. I'm not ashamed of the way that I live my life like I have been in the past and I don't feel guilty over most of the decisions that I make. I know this gets to sounding fluffy puffy and pink star dust and crap but I've learned enough about life to see that we are all the same on a base level.

For instance, all of us have a base need other than our three basic needs of food, shelter, and water. Consider for a moment the need of every single person to be known. We crave it and many of our actions are driven by this. Its why a strong marriage works best in monogamy, because while hollywood and television are playing up the attractive side of random sex and the exciting party life the fact is that these will never give the satisfaction of knowing another person intimately in trust. Conversely, and I will argue that this is where the true satisfaction of a strong marriage lies, knowing that another person knows every single detail about you and loves you in spite of it meets a base need to be known. The satisfaction is not in how great the sex is, it lies in the extent to which you feel known and loved by the other person. I'm not here to argue this concept, only to make a point that you may or may not relate to in needing to feel known.

Now, back to the subject at hand, when we get honest with ourselves we are all looking for something in life, otherwise we ball up on the couch and cry until we wither up and die or commit suicide, whichever comes first. We need something to seek after and most of the time we are looking for something that brings meaning to our lives. We have another base like the need to be known which is the need to feel like our lives have purpose and we act subconsciously at times to confirm this to ourselves. Feeling like we have something to contribute to this forum satisfies this in us in a way. But all this to say that disc golf in itself does not meet any of our basic needs in the absence of being able to interact and relate our experiences to other people. What I'm driving at is that all of our base spiritual needs are tied up in our interactions with other humans and our ability to interact and relate to people is often proportional to our satisfaction and sense of purpose in life.

Like I've pointed out already, there will be scoffers, but then there might be others who resonate with the idea that it is possible to be happy in life and seek a satisfying and fulfilling life. Those might be able to look past the jokes and jabs and find the heart of this idea. Do I claim to have mastered it and know every answer? No, but I have begun to seek it and this is life to me regardless of what anybody can say. I have something real in my life and I simply would like to make an attempt at expressing that in a way that relates to a game that I love :D

Latest posts