• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] This one's for Casey: The 30 yr Shark!

I never gelled with the Shark grip wise, but I do recommend a disc like that to new players. If you can learn to throw a mid on a straight to fade line, you are well on your way to being a disc golfer.

I never gelled with the Shark grip wise, but I do recommend a disc like that to new players. If you can learn to throw a mid on a straight to fade line, you are well on your way to being a disc golfer.

My first disc was a yellow Shark, and I'm still thankful that the guy at the store recommended it to me. I'm getting a friend and his wife into the game and I'll be picking up a DX Shark each for them. It's just fantastic for teaching you how to throw a golf disc.

Yeah Dave said that right a Shark can do almost anything hence the old title of multipurpose disc. I also believe the Shark is a multipurpose disc as I can get the true Shark mold in all but champion to do what 2-3 disc molds, mostly putters would do in other bags. I never liked the Champion Shark as they end up like the champion 3 or almost flat top and then are a beadles ROC. If I am getting just a Shark, I want a plastic other then Champion as I use the 3 top Champion Shark for true midrange as the disc then looses that float that a Shark or true putter disc has and is more a proper midrange.

Cool the mold came out in January 1, 1989 and is only a few weeks younger then me.

My first disc was a yellow Shark, and I'm still thankful that the guy at the store recommended it to me. I'm getting a friend and his wife into the game and I'll be picking up a DX Shark each for them. It's just fantastic for teaching you how to throw a golf disc.

Yeah the Shark is the mold I recommend to others who want to get started in Disc Golf or want only one disc to play disc golf. I hope that the Shark mold does not go away when Dave D passes on and a new person owns Innova.

For a single disc round, a Shark is the mold to get as it can handle wind being OS yet is not so OS that the mold will not work for putting yet in that same vain the mold has a putter shape to it so you can putt with the mold.

What if Dave D. is the uncle?

He is not my Uncle if that is what you are asking, I wish.

The uncles I know who play disc golf do not use or even like the Shark, the closest is an uncle who uses the Stingray, basically a US version of the Shark. Now for cousins that play none of them like the Shark, closest is a cousin that uses the Discraft disc closest in shape to a Star Shark, a domed ESP Comet.

The 3 I recommend to everyone who has never thrown a golf disc is thus:

Birdie
Shark
Leopard

These three teach you a lot about what you're doing and reward low power clean throws in a way that any beginner will find exciting and educational. Birdies especially, I still bag two.

The 3 I recommend to everyone who has never thrown a golf disc is thus:

Birdie
Shark
Leopard

These three teach you a lot about what you're doing and reward low power clean throws in a way that any beginner will find exciting and educational. Birdies especially, I still bag two.

I would change out the Birdie for a Pole cat as the Birdie can feel odd with the thumbtrack to some players and they have grip issues with the Birdie.

Last edited: