• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird vs Destroyer distance!

Jbultman

Birdie Member
What should be the accepted distance difference between the destroyer and a thunderbird?
I'm throwing..
-Champion thunderbird: 390-410
- star destroyer: 410-430
Thanks

There is no "accepted distance difference" between any two discs; whatever you get you get. Just remember the actual numbers and apply them on the course when needed.

Your ability to only get a little bit more distance out of your Destroyer than your Thunderbird, makes me think you're not quite able to get the Destroyer up to speed like you can the Thunderbird. You'd probably be better served throwing something less overstable. Can you throw the Destroyer on the same lines that you throw the Thunderbird?

The above question is a good one. It's less about raw distance than the line of the shot. I can throw a Destroyer 400 BH but it's way easier for me to throw a good golf line with an Emperor and go just as far or farther. Your distance gap is fine if those are both flat throws IMO.

I'm having the same problem with my Wizards and Rocs. I'm throwing my Wizards 500-550ft but my Rocs only 550-600ft. I'm worried this isn't a big enough difference in distance. What do you guys think?

Your ability to only get a little bit more distance out of your Roc than your Wizard, makes me think you're not quite able to get the Roc up to speed like you can the Wizard. You'd probably be better served throwing something less overstable. Can you throw the Roc on the same lines that you throw the Wizard?

I'm not saying that isn't good distance. Definitely good enough to score well on most courses. I can get an extra 50 feet with something like a Sheriff than I can with a Destroyer. I throw them on completely different lines though. That's the point I was trying to make. Hopefully this is half as helpful as your comment.

Your ability to only get a little bit more distance out of your Roc than your Wizard, makes me think you're not quite able to get the Roc up to speed like you can the Wizard. You'd probably be better served throwing something less overstable. Can you throw the Roc on the same lines that you throw the Wizard?

I love the internet

I see probably a 20' difference between a Thunderbird and Destroyer, with the Destroyer (obviously) being longer. 400' for the Thunderbird, and 420' or so for the Destroyer. That said, I throw a proto star Destroyer that actually has high speed turn and glide. If I were throwing a flat McBeth Destroyer the Thunderbird would be longer. McBeth Destroyers are super beefy and fairly glideless. My champion Thunderbird doesn't have any high speed turn, but it also fades much later and more gradually than a Destroyer.

I bag both discs and find them useful on the course. Very reliable/accurate.

One of the often stated benefits of the Thunderbird has been "Destroyer distance with fairway feel/control" or something like that. I wouldn't worry about the distance gap.

I don't throw in that range especially with a Thunderbird, but I think it depends on how beefy the Destroyer is. If I'm throwing a wind fighting zero turn Destroyer, then yeah I only get 20' or so more out of it than a Thunderbird on a flat throw...my Thunderbird has taken many shots away from that Destroyer if wind isn't howling. If it's a beat Destroyer that turns nicely and fades late then I'll get at least another 50' out of it.

What should be the accepted distance difference between the destroyer and a thunderbird?
I'm throwing..
-Champion thunderbird: 390-410
- star destroyer: 410-430
Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about distance gap. The main point of these is being able to use them on different kinds of shots. For instance, my thunderbirds love to ride straight lines and I have a Thunderbird for almost any kind of wind that will ride a straight line. However, my distance drivers are better for high lines (like throwing over a long section of OB high fence) and for lines that need glidey hookup at the end of the flight. In a field on max power, I'm only getting 15-20 feet between the two on average but I use them for distinct shots. If you use the destroyer and Thunderbird for different shots then it makes sense to carry both in my book.

In the end, it's your bag. Unless you're making money off playing, throw what gives you joy! :thmbup:

I actually experienced something similar with my Force/Kong/Crank and my Undertakers/Stalkers, though the difference is almost negligible, but they are on completely different lines. I'm not sure that a flat release would help much in my case.

As the crow flies, I really only see a 20-30' difference between the two discs. Once we start throwing in variables those numbers get closer or wider apart.

I don't think distance between the two is really point if justification between what to throw. Shot shape and what the hole requires (variables) are much more determinative.

Latest posts