• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] TL3 - Evolution of the TL

Anyone else pick up any star TL3's? Wondering if they are all just as domey as a standard TL. Its like they forgot to switch the top mold. :doh:

My TL3 tops look different from my TL tops, which are Archangel-"ish". The TL3 top looks to me 'not unlike' my FD's tops (though undersides are different). The TL3s do fly nice, though.

I only throw about 300'. Would you recommend a Star TL3 over a Star Teebird as a stable/OS fairway?

You're near my noodle-arm range, so yes, I'd suggest trying a Star TL3 (or TL) as a straight disc with some fade at the end. If you want true overstable fade, the Teebird will give you more of that than the TL3.

This talk of domey TL3s has got me thinking - anyone try to flatten a TL with hot water in the upside down flight plate and your preferred reference book on top?

This talk of domey TL3s has got me thinking - anyone try to flatten a TL with hot water in the upside down flight plate and your preferred reference book on top?

I haven't tried, but I know the process you're talking about. "Tuning" a disc works best to get warping out of the disc, and maybe to tweak its flight a little bit. But you're not likely to successfully make a TL3 out of a TL with that process. You probably can't turn a Star TL3 into a real "3" series disc via tuning.

But if you try it, let me know how it goes. Curiosity killed the cat... And satisfaction brought him back! :thmbup: :popcorn:

I don't know what is going on with innova/dm molds, almost all of the newer runs seem to be domey, also the "3" tops. Tl3, Mako3, roc3, wraiths, cd2, pd2... The list goes on. They've changed something for sure.

But yeah, star tl3 flies well, but it's domey and not different enough compared to the tl. No point in branding the disc as being flat-topped version of something if you can not produce them.

It is weird.

Every 11x disc I have is nice and flat. How did they forget how do this?

It is weird.

Every 11x disc I have is nice and flat. How did they forget how do this?

I'm guessing the mold is probably got a dome and the older plastic flattened as it cooled. Plastic is different from batch to batch and you won't know exactly what it's going to do until it's too late.

They would have to start running small test runs which I'm guessing would be time/cost prohibitive.

Or as consumers we would have to stop buying discs that we consider "defective". Online forum goers are way more picky (which is completely fine, I'm very picky) than the average disc golfer.

My bag is mostly DM at this point, I don't remember any discs coming out extra domey this year. In fact the latest runs of PD are very flat. As flat/flatter than 1st runs. The C-Line CD2 are also very flat. The glow FD3 was flat. PD2s are usually domey, they had a flat run a while back but it's a rarity. The domey ones are better for everything but sidearm anyway.

I don't know what is going on with innova/dm molds, almost all of the newer runs seem to be domey, also the "3" tops. Tl3, Mako3, roc3, wraiths, cd2, pd2... The list goes on. They've changed something for sure.

But yeah, star tl3 flies well, but it's domey and not different enough compared to the tl. No point in branding the disc as being flat-topped version of something if you can not produce them.

TL3 is still a pretty good disc. It is flatter than the TL, and I find that to be a little better in my grip. I do wish the TL3 was more board flat, though...

Again I inquire, as the TL/TL3 seasons does it develop HST or is it more just losing LSS? TIA for any input it is much appreciated.

Again I inquire, as the TL/TL3 seasons does it develop HST or is it more just losing LSS? TIA for any input it is much appreciated.

My Star TLs lost a little bit of fade over time (that being months) and did not develop any turn. My Champ TLs never changed at all; typical of my experiences with Champion plastic discs.

I didn't throw the TL3 enough to really get it seasoned in, so I'll defer to others for a better answer on that mold...

I threw a buddy's nearly new Gstar TL3 and it flew beautifully - a perfect slight hyzer to flat and slight fade. It is a longer champ Leopard, spectacular!

I ordered a Gstar and a Star TL3 which arrived today. My Star was perfectly "3" topped. The GStar is domier than my friends which was flat. The Star has a higher PLH as well.

Just thought I'd post this as it is runs counter to what this thread has suggested. Granted my sample size is small. I'll be throwing the Gstar tomorrow, hopefully. That should give me an idea about how the Star would fly, relatively.

I threw a buddy's nearly new Gstar TL3 and it flew beautifully - a perfect slight hyzer to flat and slight fade. It is a longer champ Leopard, spectacular!

I ordered a Gstar and a Star TL3 which arrived today. My Star was perfectly "3" topped. The GStar is domier than my friends which was flat. The Star has a higher PLH as well.

Just thought I'd post this as it is runs counter to what this thread has suggested. Granted my sample size is small. I'll be throwing the Gstar tomorrow, hopefully. That should give me an idea about how the Star would fly, relatively.

Maybe a new run of Star TL3s is more flat-topped and 3-"ish". Looking forward to how that Star TL3 you got does for you.

Maybe a new run of Star TL3s is more flat-topped and 3-"ish". Looking forward to how that Star TL3 you got does for you.

Mine looked and felt so nice that I just ordered 2 more just like it.

The 2 I received today we're embossed whereas my buddy's was penned G*TL3.

Last edited:
Mine looked and felt so nice that I just ordered 2 more just like it.

The 2 I received today we're embossed whereas my buddy's was penned G*TL3.

If memory serves me correctly, the GStar TL3s came out a while back, before Innova began embossing their discs, so I'm not surprised ten GStar one is penned.

My Star TL3s are embossed, but are not "3" flat, so I hope that's changed...

Latest posts