• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament footage preferences

geoloseth

Birdie Member
I just got done filming the lead card footage from the VPO. I enlisted the help of a friend so we were able to get two cameras on a number of shots so hopefully the combined footage will look good.

The question I have is what kind of format do people prefer? Are you more into the "set to music" style or would you rather have commentary voice over? Or do you have a different suggestion?

Any critiques and recommendations for putting the footage together is more than welcome.

Don't set it to music. Commentary can go either way. Audio from the actual footage is usually fine.

I love commentary, but only if it's done by the right people. Sometimes it can be very annoying.

Don't use overly long intros, title card shots (if I can read the 10 words on the screen in 2 seconds, I hate having this shot shown for 5 seconds), or any music. Everyone watching the video likes disc golf, they don't all like the same music.

When I watch a video, I want it to get to the disc golf very quickly. I probably don't know the course they're playing and also don't care. Show me the holes as we go along.

Again, keep things moving.

I love commentary, but only if it's done by the right people. Sometimes it can be very annoying.

What makes certain commentaries annoying? I'd like to get another person to sit in with me and do the commentary, but I'm not sure who just yet.

I like to see the rundown after each hole-
Score for that hole/score for the round/total score

A hole layout overlay is nice but not necessary if the footage is good. Commentary is hit or miss for me, I almost always prefer to just hear the sounds of the round and player banter.

there are several things that make a good video I feel like, one is the resolution, I feel like a snob but its annoying if the video isn't in atleast 720 because it makes the disc hard to see. second knowing the score either with it on the bottom when each player is throwing or at the end of the hole show the round score and the overall score, I personally like to see both.. and third if the players aren't really well known its nice to have their names in a corner of the video while the throw. and finally I prefer commentary, a moving commentary is best like one that is continuously going not random comments blurted out, the EO video I think from spin tv was great with the 2 commentators "bouncing" off each other in their conversation but focused on the round being shown, that is when the commentary is best. another thing I would rather have the footage sound than music, maybe have an intro song but I prefer no music during the entirety of the video sorry for the wall of text..

A hole layout overlay is nice but not necessary if the footage is good. Commentary is hit or miss for me, I almost always prefer to just hear the sounds of the round and player banter.

I like this a lot. As a competitive player, I always watch disc golf videos thinking, "Could I execute something like that?" or "What would I throw?" or "Where are they aiming, exactly?" So hole #, distance, map/layout is good.

Scores going in and updated between each hole. Indicators of any throws that go OB. No need to show tap-ins for par, but nice long par-saving putts are good to see. Not a huge fan of commentary, but a little would be fine. Honestly, I would rather just watch the action than hear someone talk about it.

The video quality will hopefully be good enough. Both cameras shot in 1080/60. I was thinking of commentary like the EO and the Central Coast DG guys. I wasn't a big fan of what I heard from the USDGC this year.

I'll see what I can find/make for the hole layouts. If there are good quality tee signs I usually get a picture of them to use, but Veteran's Park doesn't have plus there 6 extra temp holes.

I can listen to bad commentary but the ones with music only take me about 30 seconds to get bored with. Some of them might as well be filmed field practice. You need a quick hole overview imho, otherwise its hard to see if they hit their line.

The video quality will hopefully be good enough. Both cameras shot in 1080/60. I was thinking of commentary like the EO and the Central Coast DG guys. I wasn't a big fan of what I heard from the USDGC this year.

I'll see what I can find/make for the hole layouts. If there are good quality tee signs I usually get a picture of them to use, but Veteran's Park doesn't have plus there 6 extra temp holes.

Fair enough. It's just a suggestion, and nice to have for viewers if you can get it in there. Especially if they haven't played the course before.

I am also fine with bad commentary. I prefer very little commentary over the original footage. Something about the sound of chains and pivots really makes me feel like I'm watching disc golf.

Limited commentary is ok. I didn't hear the USDGC, but dear god do not try to duplicate the efforts of the Central Coast guys! They are the 2 most annoying commentators I've heard, especially the main guy. I like the background noise (pivots, gallery, chains, etc)

If you're going to do commentary, facts are your friend.
What hole are they on
What are scores
Is there OB or other hole specific information that would be relevant to the listener?

Don't try and sensationalize it, or talk about your opinions of the hole or what you think the players are going to/have thrown or act all bro-tastic (my made up word) like you're old buddies with everyone that ever played discs golf. Also don't use idiotic slang like choice, cake or wicked as adjectives to describe anything. That's what the Central Coast guys do and I can't stand it. They may as well be doing a play by play on how to roll and smoke a dube and it just makes them sound like idiots

Video quality on the audience end (being the internet) has much more to do with compression rates on export than it does the pixel number. For example my SpinTV exports are all 720p, even though I shoot a mix of 720 and 1080. If you're unfamiliar or new to the post processes I'd take some time and do your due diligence, or you'll end up making the same mundane things that unfortunately disc golfers have come to accept as par for the course in terms of video...sorry does that sound jaded? Anyway...

Commentary is dangerous. Commentary is not easy. Don't American Idol yourself (you know, those people who think they can sing then try out and get laughed off the stage...). That's the best advice I could give. If you do decide to go this route with an amateur broadcaster...please please please don't wing it. Go through the cut, write a script, make notes, do multiple takes. Don't do it in a half hour in your basement while the washer and dryer are running.

**** there's so many Do Not's I could be here all night. My rule of thumb is, if you can't do it better than others, then do it different than they do.

Good luck though, seriously and sincerely.

Commentary is dangerous. Commentary is not easy. Don't American Idol yourself (you know, those people who think they can sing then try out and get laughed off the stage...). That's the best advice I could give. If you do decide to go this route with an amateur broadcaster...please please please don't wing it. Go through the cut, write a script, make notes, do multiple takes. Don't do it in a half hour in your basement while the washer and dryer are running.

DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!

The best commentators are (1) well-spoken, (2) have pleasant voices, (3) can make reading a script sound like live, spontaneous commentary, and (4) know enough about disc golf generally and the course being played in particular not only to describe the action taking place on screen but to provide insight into the players' strategy/thinking on any given throw.

The BEST commentators I've seen/heard over the years are Des Reading and Juliana Korver. Scare up a copy of the USDGC 2000 videos if you haven't heard them in action. IMO, none of the current commentators even come close to measuring up.